New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Determining if someone has been charmed/dominated/etc.

Is there a mechanical way of determining if a person has been charmed/dominated/etc., or do most GMs go by player judgement?

If the latter, then how come the same doesn't usually apply to alignment (I mean, c'mon, you have to detect if the guy is evil now?!). Unless of course they fear divine intervention (in which case, gods should be more opinionated then 'for the greater good').
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-12-25 at 05:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Determining if someone has been charmed/dominated/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    Is there a mechanical way of determining if a person has been charmed/dominated/etc., or do most GMs go by player judgement?
    "Pink Frosting."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Sense Motive: DC 15 to detect a Domination, DC 25 to detect a subtler [Mind Affecting] effect.

Also, DC 20 for a 'You know? I just have a bad feeling about this guy." And it's an opposed check against his Bluff when you out-and-out ask if he's ever eaten a kitten.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

cast protection from <alignment> on them

Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect. If the protection from evil effect ends before the effect granting mental control does, the would-be controller would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature. Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast. This second effect works regardless of alignment.
    It is a level 1 spell, it suppresses any mind control or compulsion in existence for the duration of the protection from alignment. It also explicitly works regardless of the alignment of the person who cast the charm spell.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post

If the latter, then how come the same doesn't usually apply to alignment (I mean, c'mon, you have to detect if the guy is evil now?!). Unless of course they fear divine intervention (in which case, gods should be more opinionated then 'for the greater good').
    To determine, there's the Sense Motive check.

But if your best buddy is acting strange, you should notice it anyway without a check. You might not know he's charmed but you can tell there's something wrong when he isn't being responsive to your bad jokes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Detect Magic.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Ask if their name is Steve. If yes, check their pupils.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.