New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default [D&D Any Edition] Pointbuy vs. Rolling

Alright, this topic's pretty self-explainatory, what do you prefer between pointbuy and rolling?

I like pointbuy. Never liked rolling at all, too many bad experiences turned me off of it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D Any Edition] Pointbuy vs. Rolling

I once was a great supporter of rolling dices, because, you know, we're not all equals.
    Now, I'm all for pointbuy: a lucky serie gives too many advantages, while the group should be on par.
    I'm thinking on a pointbuy system, but with different amount of points, depending on the tier of the chosen class.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

We've used point buy as a houserule even way back in 2E. I don't mind some randomness in games, but penalizing certain characters forever because they had some unlucky rolls at character generation seems unnecessary. And yes, I've seen people roll four scores of 17+ in a row using 3d6 only. Statistically unlikely but it happens.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

In D&D? Point buy. Because I think D&D is about being an awesome hero on grand adventures and that just doesn't work if you happen to roll a line of thirteens.

In some other games, rolling is great and makes the character creation interesting. You have to improvise your character based on the stats you get from the dice. It can be much fun.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

The problem with rolling for stats is that it kinda neglects the fact that individuals with weak statistics are unlikely to become adventurers in the first place. On balance, it's generally more trouble than it's worth.
    The Impossible Thing Before Breakfast- "The GM is the author of the story and the players direct the actions of the protagonists." Widely repeated across many role-playing texts. Neither sub-clause in the sentence is possible in the presence of the other.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Rolling; I enjoy the randomness, and get quickly tired of every fighter starting with an 18 strength. I am more inclined to play a paladin or ranger if I roll high, then a fighter, assuming I want to play a fighting class.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In my groups I like to let people roll the dice once, then take point buy if they are unhappy with the results.

I personally prefer point buy, but sometimes it itches to just try your luck.

Rolling also leads to threads where lots of people roll up a character, then leave because the scores are too low for their tastes. They simply roll in each thread that announces a new game, but only really apply when they roll well. Fun to watch!
    Act well before thinking!

8. - Top - End - #8

I don't think this should be an any edition thread. Older editions play different, you generally play multiple characters whereas in 3.5 and 4.0 you play one character all the way through. Rolling makes sense for older, point buy for newer.

9. - Top - End - #9

I prefer point buy, at least as an option if you didn't roll well. Otherwise rolling poorly means either playing as a character that lets the team down or missing out on the campaign altogether.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    Older editions play different, you generally play multiple characters whereas in 3.5 and 4.0 you play one character all the way through.
    This strikes me as a myth propagated by detractors of 1E/2E. Sure, some people played that way, but that doesn't mean that most people did, or that the game was intended like that.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

11. - Top - End - #11

Rolling to get the number of points.

Sort of

Our DM lets us roll stats, and then if we get an exceptionally bad one, we can take points off a high one to make it better. We even out odd numbers, and such.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

3E ruined the aspect of rolling for ability scores by introducing a linear increase in attributes. In early editions you weren't penalized as heavily for having low scores. The only difference between a fighter with 10 strength and 14 strength was a few extra pounds of weight. Since there were fewer bonuses in general (AC and to-hit had a hard cap) actual tactics in combat like flanking and fighting from high ground counted more towards successful combat than attributes.

With that said I prefer rolling in older editions and point buy in newer editions. Two different game styles require different approaches.
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2009-12-28 at 07:28 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am a fan of rolling dice.

Please click my dragons

14. - Top - End - #14

Flumph

Point buy all the way. In 3.5 I consider a 28 pb the bare minimum and prefer a 32 pb. Screw random characteristics. People with low scores are called Commoners.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jill View Post
    The problem with rolling for stats is that it kinda neglects the fact that individuals with weak statistics are unlikely to become adventurers in the first place. On balance, it's generally more trouble than it's worth.
    Very much this. Even worse was rolling in order.

"So you want to be a Wizard? Ok, roll for INT. Ooh, 13 - guess you'll be at the back of the class in Hogwarts this session. HUFFLEPUFF!"

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I'm thinking on a pointbuy system, but with different amount of points, depending on the tier of the chosen class.
    Check the second post.
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2009-12-28 at 07:48 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    This strikes me as a myth propagated by detractors of 1E/2E. Sure, some people played that way, but that doesn't mean that most people did, or that the game was intended like that.
    Ken's one of the old edition stalwarts, though. Now, mind you, I've played more characters in my year and a half of 4e than I ever did in a single 2e campaign, but that's a pure 2e game.

FWIW, I prefer rolls, though I understand (and tend to use when my players ask) PB.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Thanks... I love how you can always count on the other playgrounders.

This gives even a wider range than what I was thinking. My idea was in the order of 24 (or 28) for tiers 1-2, 28 (or 32) for tiers 3-4, 32 (or 36) for tiers 5-6.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Pointbuy also has the advantage of being able to "roll" at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Point buy; because the Mary and Anti-Sues that invariably result from random rolls just don't mix, not to mention no one likes to be relegated to cheerleader for those that lucked out during character creation.

20. - Top - End - #20

Point Buy, because I can have fair stats without visiting the DM's home and rolling my character in his face. And I can tailor my stats to what I actually want to play, rather than what the RNG gave me.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

In a 4e game I recently joined, I rolled the equivalent of 54 point buy (normal 4e is 22 point buy).

And the DM says it's okay...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I prefer rolling, it creates an element of randomness that I enjoy. It doesnt hurt that I'm unglodly lucky when it comes to dice so I usually end up with a pretty good statline.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I once was a great supporter of rolling dices, because, you know, we're not all equals.
    Now, I'm all for pointbuy: a lucky serie gives too many advantages, while the group should be on par.
    Did that myself once. Tier 1's got 25, Tier 2's got 28, Tier 3's+4's got 32, and everyone under Tier 4 got 43.

I dislike PB because it is a slight headache to work with unless you have a hardcopy DMG or memorized the costs for points (which I don't do because I don't make characters enough to warrant it). I like rolling, but recognize it's weaknesses. My RL players refuse to use PB for various reasons.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

I like rolling, I even liked rolling in order back when we played 1st edition D&D. However, me and my group had different stance to roleplaying back then. We didn't think out concepts and then try to reflect them within the game - we rolled statistics and came up with a concept based on that. The challenge it provided was part of the fun. After I began thinking my characters trough first, I pretty much abandoned strict rule systems like D&D and switched to more narrative or freeform ones.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

25. - Top - End - #25

Planetar

I vastly prefer point buy to rolling, mostly because you can fully build your characters at home, and all the characters will be on a similar footing.

However, for one-offs, rolling in order can be very fun (Barbarian with a 15 Intelligence is fun to RP).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

What I get tired of under point-buy is that everything is so optimized. Rolling gave you the unexpected, which added a touch of realism. A particular wizard might happen to be rather strong. Not because his build calls for him to get Power Attack at some point, but just because he's a strong and smart guy that decided to become a wizard. A fighter might be more charismatic than average, or a cleric might be quicker than you'd expect. Not because it's optimal for him, but because that's just what his abilities happen to be. Makes the PCs feel a little more real to me.

I'm not sure if there's a better system... maybe roll 4d4 in order for "starting stat", and then apply 25 PB on top of that? With maybe 0.5 points required to raise an attribute that is below 7? 4d4 should give a small enough variation that you can make it up with PB and not have huge power gaps among the PCs.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I offer my players a variety of rolling options to choose from, and if they don't like the results, 25-point buy.

I think the obsession that many people have with high stats is what makes a lot of people prefer point buy. Over the course of a character's career, low stats really doesn't have that huge of an impact on the game. Having a single 14 can be enough if you're not playing a MAD class. We've played games where some people got lucky on their rolls, and others did not. It's really not as big a deal as people say it is. Generally, unless you have two people in a group trying to fill the same role, the idea that one person's high stats ruin the game for others is a myth. It's a team game, not a contest.

Hell, some people say that 25 point buy isn't even enough. Trust me, you can make perfectly playable characters with 25 point buy. Leave your number-envy at the door, it's just a game for heaven's sake.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I like 32 point buy. Consistent and feels more like the characters are exceptional characters compared to lower point buys.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Rolling. Pointbuy causes too many even numbers 95% of the time and 18's for SAD classes.

Most complaints I hear about rolling low comes from rolling a 13-15 for your high stat, which is actually only a hair below average. Your chance of actually rolling low without being granted a reroll is extremely low. Commoners are all 10's, or at best 13 high with other low stats to compensate. If you want a higher power game, bump up player level or lower CR (possibly w/o lowering xp), rather than adding imbalance. Or making you boost monster stats to match, making it exactly the same as if no one was boosted. If you "need" an 18, why don't you "need" a 20? The need for even higher stats than normal rules to be "better" or "enough" is 110% arbitrary.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-12-28 at 01:00 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The group I have been playing with most recently has an interesting compromise for rolling vs. point buy:

All players roll up starting stats the traditional way (4d6, drop the low die, reroll 1's).

Then the players decide which set of numbers that all characters will use, with ties broken by (what else?) a die roll.

This is often necessary when players cannot agree on the set with nothing above 15, but also nothing below a 12, or the set that has an 8, but also two 18's and a 17.

When the particular set is decided, that is the set that all characters use. Scores are then applied to stats at the player's discretion (ie: the fighter would most likely put the high number in STR/CON, the sorcerer in CHA, etc.) Finally, racial bonuses/penalties are applied.

This allows us to keep the aspect of random rolls, but doesn't create an imbalance of ability scores among players. Plus, the players who are traditionally unlucky die rollers get to use numbers rolled up by a more dice-friendly player.

It's worked quite well for us.
    Oderint Dum M&M:
    Let them hate, so long as they bring me candy.

I've role played paladins that were a lot like Miko. And I've role played paladins that were more like O-Chul. You know the funny thing? I had about as much fun with both.