New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default [3.5, Core] Best way to make a knight-lich?

I've always liked the idea of an undead fighter, and I'm curious what would be the best way to pull this off before level 20. A level 1 Paladin / 10 Blackguard / 1 Cleric gives you the best BAB at level 12, but Blackguard spells are just flat out inferior to Clerics, and Divine Power seems like the great overpowered equalizer between clerics and fighters in this regard.

On the Arcane route a Bard can get there at level 11, but his BAB is no better than a cleric's, and his spell selection is much weaker and can't be used in proper doom knight armor. The bardic lore thing is cool and I love the image of an undead knight sitting at some massive pipe organ inspiring his minions, but it sure gives up a lot.

Any good methods I'm overlooking? What should I progress it as after it becomes a lich? the d12 hit dice makes something like a rogue or monk a lot more attractive, especially if I've got access to Divine Power anyways. On the other hand, just simple fighter levels will give the bonus feats and BAB needed to be less magic reliant in combat.

Suggestions? Comments?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [3.5, Core] Best way to make a knight-lich?

Lich? I'd recommend Sorcerer/Paladin of Tyranny/Eldritch Knight/(Abjurant Champion or Blackguard). At first glance, you're losing out on HP due to having horrible HD for a frontliner, but then remember: you're a lich. Free d12s all around. Paladin of Tyranny gives you the Evil alignment and Martial proficiency needed for EK, Sorcerer gives you the Caster prereqs for both EK and Lich. BAB drops a couple points thanks to Sorcerer levels, but EK and Paladin bring that back up a bit. Practiced Spellcaster recovers some of your lost Caster levels from doing something like Sorcerer 6/Paladin 2/Eldritch Knight 10.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-12-29 at 10:42 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Cleric 12 works just fine as a Lich Knight. Alternatively: Be a necropolitan Knight. That way you're a knight and undead.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Necropolitan Cleric. God of Fighting. Duskblade works pretty well, too, with the d12s making his HD(his one inferiority to most melee) awesome.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    Cleric 12 works just fine as a Lich Knight. Alternatively: Be a necropolitan Knight. That way you're a knight and undead.
    That's true. And if you're getting d12s anyway, take Cloistered Cleric instead of standard Cleric and use the exact same DMM Persist cheese to recover your BAB.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Would just making a Death Knight work?

I've never used them, but I've heard of them a few times.
    trill in da playground

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Not quite core, but a Swordwraith is a great way to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anatharon View Post
    Would just making a Death Knight work?

I've never used them, but I've heard of them a few times.
    He said core only, but indeed I think the Death Knight is the best a cool idea. I've always wanted to use one.

Death Knight is unfortunately MM2, which is not core. Or Dragonlance, though that version seems specifically aimed at making a Lord Soth clone, not a generic undead martial character.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd second Cleric.

It casts, it wears armor, it has decent HP and base attack (and has Divine Power to compensate), it has excellent spellcasting. And it doesn't have to wait for the most conveniently metagamey opportunity to fall.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cleric => Walker in the Wastes will turn you into a Dry Lich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?