New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5] Problems with Encounters

Hello all. I'm DMing a campaign, and I'm having a little trouble.

We're using minimal extra content, only adding the PHB2, MIC, and the Dragon-oriented books (Draconomicon, Races of the Dragon, and Dragon Magic) due to the campaign setting. My party consists of a Dragonborn Knight, a Gnome Beguiler, an Elf Sorcerer, and a Human Cleric. The problem is the Beguiler class is giving me a few troubles designing encounters; every encounter I can think of either results in almost all the Beguiler's spells becoming completely useless due or a really easy fight because the enemy monsters are made to completely suck, for lack of a better term. Because the Beguiler is entirely designed around "Save or Suck" spells, it becomes difficult to design an encounter where I feel the party is actually in some amount of danger. While it's good every now and again for the party to have an easy fight, I do want them to feel like they are mortal rather than invincible.

Can anyone help me? I'm sure it's a problem with the way I'm thinking about encounters and not the characters themselves.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Problems with Encounters

What do the Sorcerer, and Cleric cast primarily?

Your best bet is probably more enemies. The Beguiler's primary Save-or-X spells only target one opponent, so they'll be able to either take out one at a time(wasting slots)or switch to using spells like Haste and Legion of Sentinels.
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2009-12-29 at 11:37 PM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Beguiler can't hit what he can't see. You haven't told us what level your party is but there are a lot of sneaky but deadly monsters like chokers that can effectively sneak up on anyone not specifically trained in spotting/listening. Use terrain features like obstructions to give monsters total concealment and have them make readied actions to hit the first person that comes into view. You can also toss in traps or terrain hazards like rock slides and pitfalls.

If all else fails then combat spellcasters with other spellcasters. A covey of hags, an ogre mage, a rakshasa, a typical outsider, etc.
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2009-12-29 at 11:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    What do the Sorcerer, and Cleric cast primarily?
    The cleric is primarily a healbot, and the Sorcerer pretty much defaults to Fire spells. In fact, I think besides Magic Missile every single one of his spells is Fire elemental.

The party is level 6 currently. They are also currently traveling with a bard who only really buffs. She has a few illusions, but those should be rather small in comparison to other problems.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2009-12-29 at 11:54 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Beguilers are almost entirely useless against constructs and undead. Use some constructs and undead. Better yet, use mixed encounters where there's a few targets for the Beguiler but some others he can't touch. A Necromancer with skeletal minions, or a squad of footsoldiers travelling with a Golem or Warforged Titan.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drow Beguiler... give him a taste of his own medicine with a dash of spell resistance. And for dessert, have the drow umd some necromancy spells

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Beguilers are almost entirely useless against constructs and undead. Use some constructs and undead. Better yet, use mixed encounters where there's a few targets for the Beguiler but some others he can't touch. A Necromancer with skeletal minions, or a squad of footsoldiers travelling with a Golem or Warforged Titan.
    Yeah, this looks good. Having more enemies, specifically ones that are immune to mind-affecting, is a pretty good idea. That way the party's efforts will be divided. The beguiler can nail the ones that are affected, while the other party members hold off the immune guys and hack them to pieces.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay