New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: PCGEN question

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default PCGEN question

Is there anyway to add the classes from other books into this program or would that be some copy write violation? I was going to take a look at the Beguiler but found it wasn't there ^ ^.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: PCGEN question

Someone who's willing to put the elbow grease into it could create the information PCGen needs to understand the Beguiler class, however, it is pretty much a no-go to redistribute any D&D 3.5 information that isn't in the SRD for reasons that you've already guessed.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I would love to know just how to get feats into there. I am a PCGEN noob though.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

isnt e-tools better?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

E-tools is pretty darn good. It is easier to add in new feats/equipment. Adding classes can be a pain, but it is still easier than PCGEN from my experience.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

You probably would want to start here, it seems like the List File section is where you would want to begin should you decide to start there. Under List Files->LST File Class, lessons 12 and 13 appear to deal with feats.

If you're less into reading and more into hitting things with hammers, go into your PCGen folder->data->my_dataset.* Everything in there is a lst file, it opens up with any generic text editor, have at it. I'd give you more info, but I never learned java. Looks like there's enough comments that you could figure things out without learning the full language, though.

*Haven't fiddled with PCGen in a long time, so I don't know if this is a default directory. If it isn't, go to data\d20ogl\srd\basics.

Edit for all the new posts: Yeah, I enjoy e-Tools a bit better, but it's kinda not distributed anymore to my knowledge.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2009-12-31 at 05:52 PM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

thanks, but e-tools? I'll search for that and see if it works a tad bit better

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

eTools is no-longer distributed. You might be able to find a torrent of it. And if you want to create your own data sets for the linked lessons above are a good start. You can also join out Yahoo group PCGenListFileHelp group and ask questions on creating your own data files.
    Paul "Yes, that Paul" Grosse
    PCGen BoD PR Silverback

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PCGen is a great tool, and I use it a lot. However, putting in a class manually is a major headache, and often produces unexpected glitches. I tried to put in Dragon Shaman a while back, and the results were not great. YMMV.