Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drown Healing

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Drown Healing

Simply put, I've seen this mentioned a few times but don't understand what is being referenced.

Would someone kindly explain it to me?
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Drown Healing

Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    Simply put, I've seen this mentioned a few times but don't understand what is being referenced.

Would someone kindly explain it to me?
    Drowning is a form of healing. It cures stupidity.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Touche good sir.
    ...Unless she's cute.

4. - Top - End - #4

When you drown, you have 0 HP. The rules don't mention what happens if you're already unconscious.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Drowning
    When the character finally fails her Constitution check, she begins to drown. In the first round, she falls unconscious (0 hp). In the following round, she drops to -1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, she drowns.
    The idea is that a character can actually gain hp by drowning, as it automatically resets to 0.

EDIT: Ninja'ed.
    Last edited by FirebirdFlying; 2010-01-02 at 09:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

I can't recall the exact wording of it, but I believe the rule on drowning in the core rulebook states that if someone who is drowning fails their save, they go to 0 health, and then on down into the negatives on subsequent saves. Some people choose to interpret this literally, claiming that failing their first save against drowning should put them to 0 even if they were lower than that previously, effectively healing them back up to 0.

Yes, it really is that stupid.
    Thrawn avatar by Oregano, Isard avatar by Introbulus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noedig View Post
    Sounds good. And I wish you the best. Only heed this advice: No plan survives first contact with the enemy.
    Unless you're Thrawn, in which case no enemy survives first contact with the Plan.
    0eB+0eA+0eP+0eS+0eD+0eC+0eF Dice Roller

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GAThraawn View Post
    Yes, it really is that stupid.
    Its also the beauty of RAW. I like things like this. Of course, I'd laugh if one of my players tried to get it to work that way, but thats a separate deal.

Thanks all.
    ...Unless she's cute.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

You know, I'm still slightly confused as to how this is beneficial.

It says you fall unconscious (and then says 0 HP even though the definition of unconscious is -1 through -9) which means you can't do anything anyway. Unless you are right at -9 hp, this still speed up death.

Am I missing something still? Or is the point more along the lines of it happens, not that its beneficial?
    ...Unless she's cute.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Hypothetical situation: You have a character under the effects of Beastland Ferocity and Delay Death, at -a kajillion hitpoints, who has a bucket of water nearby. Delay Death will be wearing off soon, and his only means of healing is gone/indisposed/dead/whatever.

He drowns up to 0hp.

Beneficial, no?

Edit: Of course, you want somebody around to make the Heal check to stop you from drowning, or you're back to square one.
    Last edited by Tanaric; 2010-01-02 at 10:04 PM.
    Internet's out. Updates ETA Saturday.

"Nothing says love like being hugged to death by a Water Orc."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    On an unrelated note, Tanaric is awesome. End of story.

Avatar by CrimsonAngel. My avatar appears to have gone AWOL in my absence. Investigations are pending.

10. - Top - End - #10

Already unconscious, at negatives. Dunk your friend in, he's back up. Pull him out, he's done drowning and sticks at 0, healing normally.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, so in situations where you have someone who will be ok with you being knocked out and helpless, yeah, I guess.

It seems that that is still a fairly specific set of circumstances but if your friend keeps failing their stabilization checks and is at -9 it can buy time I suppose.

Any explanation for 0 HP equaling unconscious? Also, can you choose to fail a check if you are already unconscious?
    ...Unless she's cute.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Of course, there's also no rules saying what happens if you manage to get out of the water before you die.

So, basically, once you hit 0 hp from drowning, you're dead in two rounds. No matter what.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

actually the drowning rules make a mistake, they say that you fall unconscious to 0HP.
    However, the HP rules say that at 0 HP you are conscious still, you can take one move or standard action, which will knock you down to -1 HP and you start dying, but as long as you lie still you will NOT fall unconscious.

its not so much about -9 as it is about -40... there are spells that allow you to take more then -10 damage and remain alive for the duration of the spell... if you are healed back above -10 before the spell end you will be fine, if the spell ends and you are at -10 or below you drop dead.

So your fighter has delay death and is wrestling the dragon, you finish off the dragon and your fighter is now at -140 HP, he has 3 rounds left on delay death and then he dies. You are out of heals, your cleric can hit him with 3 cure light wounds, but there is no way it will be enough to bring him to -9 before the spell expires and he drops dead... solution?
    Round 1:
    -everyone delays action to go in the order as described below
    -fighter takes out a bucket from the bag of holding, puts it on the ground
    -cleric casts create water on it, fills it up.
    -wizard and rogue grab the fighter together and dunk his head in the bucket of water, it is a grapple check, he willingly does not resist and fail.
    round 2:
    - Fighter has to pass a con check, the fighter willingly fails (he takes a deep breath of water), he is now drowning... he passes out and is at 0 HP.
    - Cleric delays action
    - Wizard pulls out the the fighter, rogue delays action
    - Cleric makes a heal check to treat his drowning friend, if he will fail, the rogue will try as well. if he fails too, they will try again next round...

end result, fighter is saved. :)
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-01-02 at 10:30 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Of course, there's also no rules saying what happens if you manage to get out of the water before you die.

So, basically, once you hit 0 hp from drowning, you're dead in two rounds. No matter what.
    I believe Stormwrack has the rules for stopping someone from drowning. DC 15(?) Heal check.

Something like that.
    Internet's out. Updates ETA Saturday.

"Nothing says love like being hugged to death by a Water Orc."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    On an unrelated note, Tanaric is awesome. End of story.

Avatar by CrimsonAngel. My avatar appears to have gone AWOL in my absence. Investigations are pending.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

What about failing a check on purpose while unconscious? If you are knocked down to negative whatever and don't have Diehard or Shape Soulmeld: Rageclaws or any of the other similar effects can you still somehow force yourself to inhale water?

And what if you DO have one of those effects?! Can you walk underwater in a permanent 0 HP state? Oh, and what if your at -5 or whatever, toss your head into a bucket with one of those effect on, and fail your check on purpose? Can you then shoot out the water in some cool pseudo-water beam attack? Make a ranged touch roll against an enemy torch?

Also of note, I'm merely being curious.
    ...Unless she's cute.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

i honestly have no idea what happens :)
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    What about failing a check on purpose while unconscious? If you are knocked down to negative whatever and don't have Diehard or Shape Soulmeld: Rageclaws or any of the other similar effects can you still somehow force yourself to inhale water?
    I'm pretty sure you can, yes.

And what if you DO have one of those effects?! Can you walk underwater in a permanent 0 HP state?
    If they say that you can still take actions at 0 HP, yes.

Oh, and what if your at -5 or whatever, toss your head into a bucket with one of those effect on, and fail your check on purpose? Can you then shoot out the water in some cool pseudo-water beam attack? Make a ranged touch roll against an enemy torch?
    Only if you could do that beforehand. Being an unliving drownbomination does not specifically grant you the ability to shoot water beams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Being an unliving drownbomination does not specifically grant you the ability to shoot water beams.
    I must say, I feel that Rule of Cool (the true rule 0) directly contradicts you, good sir.
    ...Unless she's cute.

19. - Top - End - #19

I really enjoy trying to come up with in-game explanations for rules absurdities like this. In this particular case, though, the answer is pretty clear: water, as an archetype, is associated with life and healing. Coming in sufficient contact with water (ie, swallowing a bunch of it while submersed) cleanses a character of all damage sustained from other sources.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Being unconscious and being at zero HP aren't necessarily related. If you fail your save against an effect that puts you to sleep you're unconscious but you still have all of your HP. If you get whacked by a beatstick and put at exactly 0HP you're still concious. The two simply happen to coincide in the event that you begin drowning.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Thinking about it, is there anything in the rules stating that Warforged, who do not need to breathe air, don't drown?
    Drowning
    Any character can hold her breath for a number of rounds equal to twice her Constitution score. After this period of time, the character must make a DC 10 Constitution check every round in order to continue holding her breath. Each round, the DC increases by 1. See also: Swim skill description.

When the character finally fails her Constitution check, she begins to drown. In the first round, she falls unconscious (0 hp). In the following round, she drops to -1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, she drowns.

It is possible to drown in substances other than water, such as sand, quicksand, fine dust, and silos full of grain.
    So their are checks to hold your breathe. If by RAW, you do not breathe, do you automatically succeed on these checks, or do you have no breath to hold, and thus automatically fail?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

SRD specifically says being unconscious means being at -1 to -9 HP.

Mind you, I agree with you. But RAW...

EDIT: I believe, off the top of my head, 0 HP is staggered.

EDIT 2: The problem here is obvious. Spells like sleep use the term unconscious as per defined in a dictionary (as does drowning). The problem comes in when you consider the fact that unconscious is a defined game term.

Anyway, to reiterate, I agree with you anyway. I just like RAW fun things.

EDIT 3: Sleep never actually uses that word. It makes targets helpless. Edit 2 remains valid anyway
    Last edited by Koury; 2010-01-02 at 11:56 PM.
    ...Unless she's cute.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem here is that the wording says that you go TO zero hit points, not DOWN TO zero hitpoints, meaning that it can increase from negative to zero. More a nitpick on WotC's bad wording of a lot of rules.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    Thinking about it, is there anything in the rules stating that Warforged, who do not need to breathe air, don't drown?

So their are checks to hold your breathe. If by RAW, you do not breathe, do you automatically succeed on these checks, or do you have no breath to hold, and thus automatically fail?
    Well, if they don't need to breathe air it would logically be assumed that you cannot hold your breath (since you have none) and would therefore not make a check at all.

However, if you don't allow for anything that is not explicitly provided for in the rules, then you could say that a Warforged must hold its breath... And it would then pass out... Better yet, it could do so voluntarily above water and still die from drowning. Unlike the suffocation rules, the drowning rules don't require that you be underwater, immersed in liquid, or anything similar. At most, it says that it is possible to drown in substances other than water; it doesn't explicitly rule out air.

Then again, there's all sorts of stupidness that results from ignoring things that aren't explicitly written out. For example, the rules don't explicitly say at what point a dead character becomes a dead body, or that a dead character cannot take actions. If you don't mind having arbitrarily high amounts of negative hitpoints, or lacking a soul, you can continue your campaign as an immortal dead person without any real penalties!
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    Then again, there's all sorts of stupidness that results from ignoring things that aren't explicitly written out. For example, the rules don't explicitly say at what point a dead character becomes a dead body, or that a dead character cannot take actions. If you don't mind having arbitrarily high amounts of negative hitpoints, or lacking a soul, you can continue your campaign as an immortal dead person without any real penalties!
    Technically there are some penalties. Having negative hit points means that your zero subdual damage is higher than your hit points so your unconscious.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose that could put a damper on the adventuring-while-dead idea.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    I suppose that could put a damper on the adventuring-while-dead idea.
    Technically IIRC the exact definitions of all the conditions involved allows one to perform purely mental actions just fine. Thus a dead Psion can still manifest all its powers and is just as dangerous...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

...and any DM that lets drown healing fly in his game should hand over his DM screen and retire. Seriously. Unless he is running a comedy style campaign.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-01-24 at 11:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...and any DM that lets drown healing fly in his game should hand over his DM screen and retire. Seriously. Unless he is running a comedy style campaign.
    Clearly your definition of serious campaign differs greatly from mine. Course my great ideas for a plot involve Asmodeus conquering the Care Bears Kingdom and breeding them with Fiends to make a strike force. Half-Fiend Grumpy Bear flies around shooting lighting at you.

"And the mighty demonic bear flies through the sky, blood dripping off his claws, malice in his eyes, and death in his heart. He stares down at you as a god might look at an insect and with his might battle cry a bolt of lightning arcs out from him and flies towards you. CARE BEAR STARE!!!"