New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Asian inspired music?

So, I'll be doing an Avatar: The Last Airbender game soon. Or I hope I'll be able to make it soon...

Anyways! The problem is, I love putting some ambiant music, but I have nothing for an asian themed campaign. I'm wondering if you wouldn't have some sugestions and such?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Asian inspired music?

Look for some anime soundtracks.

I think I found the Naruto OST music from a quick google search. You can probably find Airbender stuff too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well it all depends on what you mean by "asian inspired."

I mean japanese music is very varied. Anything from high pitched girls doing pop music to guys trying to do the deep gutteral death metal type singing. Also more traditional style music as well. Then there is korean, chinese, vietnamese, etc. Lots of asian nations with lots of traditional music types and even more non-traditional.

Hmmm for the feel of Avatar I'd think something softer sounding would be best.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I always loved using the music from the Jeti Li Wong Fei Hung. You said ambiance so here is a link to the instrumental only version of my favorite song there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQOvv-ykWqU

I really love it with the voice of George Lam though and I think it is a thousand times better with it so here is that link too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_hCJMVaAk
    Some men are born to kill.
    Others push people around.
    A few are destined to lead

I was born a tank.

¶▅c●▄███████||▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅||█
    ▄████████████████▅▄▃▂ Avatar by Lordsmoothe
    █E█V█I█S█C█E█R█A█T█O█R██►
    ◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤

5. - Top - End - #5

HalflingRangerGuy

Look up the Yoshida Brothers for japanese inspired music; they do the soundtrack for Naruto.

For chinese music, look up Twelve Girls.

Both are intrumentals with traditional instruments (biwa, arhu, fue, taiko etc.)
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Avatar soundtrack sounds like the obvious suggestion here.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Avatar soundtrack sounds like the obvious suggestion here.
    I was gonna suggest that too but then I thought it might be a bad idea. Assuming the people playing the Avatar RPG are familiar with the Avatar show then listening to the soundtrack might just make them distracted by memories of what was going on when the song was playing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogears View Post
    I was gonna suggest that too but then I thought it might be a bad idea. Assuming the people playing the Avatar RPG are familiar with the Avatar show then listening to the soundtrack might just make them distracted by memories of what was going on when the song was playing.
    Exactly my thought.

The Yoshida Brothers and Twelve Girls are awesome. Thanks to the person who suggested them.

Any more?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

ARIA ASIA is great, that is all.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

10. - Top - End - #10

Hmmm I seem to recall enjoying a lot of the background music in Breath of Fire 4 and that was Asian inspired but that was a PS1 game so probably not the best quality even if you could find it. Dunno. Most of the asian music I do listen to tends to not be the best thing for ambience.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

The Okami soundtrack could work too, though some tracks are decidedly weird rather than remotely like any kind of traditional music. Mostly it sounds fitting though.

Also i would probably refrain from saying Asian-inspired, since classic Chinese and Japanese music isn't very much alike. In general saying Asian and thinking it is very descriptive is a bad idea except in very broad strokes. Asia is as varied or more as Europe, after all.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem.

Maybe also Baldurs Gate and similar games.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Go to half-price books or your local library and check out both World Music and Soundtracks. I'd be tempted to used the Crouching Tiger/ Hidden Dragon soundtrack, and I imagine you could do quite well with some from Curse of the Golden Flower and other Chinese movies that have made it big in America. I also know that we've got a fair selection of Chinese Folk music at my library, which you might want to take a look at.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Since I've already been beat to the awesome and winny Yoshida Brothers, I guess I'll have to dig through some of my more obscure playlist entries. Darn you all to heck.

See if you can find anything by a dude called Lei Qiang. He plays the erhu, which has quite distinctively Chinese sound.

If you'd prefer something Japanese, Tajima Tadashi plays a mean shakuhachi.

Also try Kodo, because that dramatic moment with the evil whatevers calls for some epic drums. No exceptions.

The Jade Empire soundtrack is also pretty good, but if I recall, the songs were all a bit on the short side.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Pick up the movie soundtracks by Tan Dun and Yo Yo Ma - that's Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero, House of the Flying Daggers...

Also, download the No Theatre parts of David Byrne's The Knee Plays - the rest of the album is New Orleans jazz and spoken word oddness, so it won't fit your needs.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Well, it all depends on the actual setting, you are going for (middle ages or more modern), but if Yoshida Brothers will fit, then some anime classics might as well:
    Ghost In The Shell
    Akira (at least this track)
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You also need to find two grandmas willing to talk in unison. I don't know why but those two old ladies from the fire kingdom were awesome when they announced stuff.

Vital for any avatar based game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I do not have the time to listen and see what others have suggested, but since it seems China and Japan had really different music styles (I really had no idea), I think I would prefer Chinese music.

If my memory serves right, Avatar was heavily inspired by chinese culture and not japanese.

Again, thank you all who have posted in this thread! I'll be sure to use those songs to give a great feeling to my games .