New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Drolyt's Homebrew Project 1: The Sorcerer (3.5) (PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Latronis View Post
    Clerics arn't actually that hard to fix.

The biggest problem is allowing them to do someone else's job. Such as persitent DMM righteous might. Make such spells touch range instead of personal (so a fighter is a better base to buff off anyway) and\or have such things give up spellcasting (like the wizards transformation). Divine Metamagic isn't even that bad when they are truly limited by turn attempts so dissallow those zombie-b-gone sticks and much of the codzilla cleric is effectively neutered
    My revision will assume no non core material, unless I specifically homebrew it, so no DMM. That is, you're free to include anything you like, but since I can only promise core is balanced (and then only when I'm done revising and testing everything) anything else should be treated like 3rd party material: use at your own risk. Thing is though, Clerics are already broken in core. Not as much no, I personally think that in core they are stuck behind Wizards and Druids in power and even Sorcerers are probably more broken, but even in core they outshine all non casters and can do anything they can do better.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    My revision will assume no non core material, unless I specifically homebrew it, so no DMM. That is, you're free to include anything you like, but since I can only promise core is balanced (and then only when I'm done revising and testing everything) anything else should be treated like 3rd party material: use at your own risk. Thing is though, Clerics are already broken in core. Not as much no, I personally think that in core they are stuck behind Wizards and Druids in power and even Sorcerers are probably more broken, but even in core they outshine all non casters and can do anything they can do better.
    Still even without such things the same problem remains. It's not so much that casters are powerful it's that they generally make non-casters pointless. Preventing them from fighting better than a fighter brings the party balance back into play. Druids probably a little more so imo since they can fill more roles than caster and fighter

I should make a real houserule with hard-cut rules. That would be fun.
    I'd use em :P

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Latronis View Post
    Still even without such things the same problem remains. It's not so much that casters are powerful it's that they generally make non-casters pointless. Preventing them from fighting better than a fighter brings the party balance back into play. Druids probably a little more so imo since they can fill more roles than caster and fighter
    Right. I don't think Clerics should be able to fight that well, though there is the issue that if all they can do is heal and buff nobody wants to play them, even if PvE they become the most powerful class. Druids are more difficult. I like the idea of Druid as filling multi role, they can nuke, they can fight, they can heal, but that is hard to do without either making them suck (see Bard) or completely own (see Druid).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's why i think it should be more modal. It already is to a point with the druid the wildshape allows them a remarkeable amount of options with little investment. Take the track feat, turn into a wolf you can function as a tracker well. Turning into a nastier critter for your level can pack a punch.. or swipe. Birds and small animals or plants can all do well for spying and scouting type roles. The problem is mainly natural spell letting them do all of that and stil function as a spellcaster for only the price of a single feat.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    All of 3.5??? Why in god's name would I care about ALL OF 3.5??!! Half of the spells in supplements are slight variations on what you could already do, and the other half were so poorly thought out as to make them useless (as in either too broken to be useful or too broken to not be used, which is the same as useless). I'm not sure how many spells are in the SRD, maybe five or six hundred, but I don't need to fix all of them and many require only minor changes.
    Every single spell in 3.5 doesn't require fixing, but Milskidasith said there were "hundreds" and I wanted to be precise More seriously, you really need to take all of them into consideration when fixing some, because (A) changing or removing some of the broken spells can make the others more or less useful or powerful (for instance, if you were to reduce the bonus of mage armor for some strange reason you might want to reduce that of ectoplasmic armor and luminous armor as well) and (B) you can do a lot to help the weaker spells by folding a bunch of weaker spells into one.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Every single spell in 3.5 doesn't require fixing, but Milskidasith said there were "hundreds" and I wanted to be precise More seriously, you really need to take all of them into consideration when fixing some, because (A) changing or removing some of the broken spells can make the others more or less useful or powerful (for instance, if you were to reduce the bonus of mage armor for some strange reason you might want to reduce that of ectoplasmic armor and luminous armor as well) and (B) you can do a lot to help the weaker spells by folding a bunch of weaker spells into one.
    Actually that's a good point for me to keep in mind. WotC seems to have an obsession with splitting things up, which isn't really necessary. Condensing things might help the Sorcerer too. Again though, I can't really hope to tackle all the non core stuff, so how my changes might affect that will be unpredictable. By the way, my attempt at fixing diplomacy/intimidate/charm/suggestion/dominate should probably/maybe/hopefully be up later today.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

I've made a (probably/hopefully) last edit that hopefully greatly simplified the use of this variant. I'm currently working on my Dual-Classing system and will probably experiment more with the various classes before moving on to fixing the spell system as promised (which appears to me a truly daunting task).