New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Addiction

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Post Addiction

I was thinking about introducing a substance into my campaign thats somewhat along the lines of the magic restoration potions used in Dragon Age. I was wondering if anyone has the base rules for things such as addiction. The substance would function to restore wizard spell slots for the day, and basically be as addictive as opium.(pathfinder)
    Last edited by Steelblood; 2010-01-08 at 06:56 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Addiction

Will save to initially overcome addiction, autohypnosis check to override negative effects of addiction, that sorta thing?
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-01-08 at 07:05 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that the BoVD provided 3.X rules for substance abuse...

The following rules are integral to any roleplaying game:
    Rule 0: The Gamesmaster is always right.
    Rule 7: Do not take the piss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    Belkar is 4chan.
    CE sociopath with a surprising number of fans; loves cats. Sometimes amusing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblood View Post
    I was thinking about introducing a substance into my campaign thats somewhat along the lines of the magic restoration potions used in Dragon Age. I was wondering if anyone has the base rules for things such as addiction. The substance would function to restore wizard spell slots for the day, and basically be as addictive as opium.(pathfinder)
    "Black Lotus. Stygian. The best!"

Addiction: Will save or willingly transgress alignment to obtain object of desire. DC and frequency of save varies by drug.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Yes- Lords of Darkness (faerun book) introduced the rules, BoVD updated (reprinted?) them.

I think its possible that one of the class books (Song and Silence, Masters of the Wild, etc) also had the rules before BoVD did.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

alrighty i'll have to find a copy of that, i think the DC should be pretty decent though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

i need to work out good pros and cons for this elixer though. i was thinking somthing along the lines of 1 does replenishes 1 spell slot of that lvl. So taking 2 doses replenishes one 2nd lvl spl slot so on and so forth. Disadvantage of -1 con per dose for 24hrs. With a will save DC 35 not to become addicted.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

How about:
    Lesser: restores one 2nd level slot or two 1st level slots DC15
    Normal: Restores one 3rd level slot, two 2nd or 3st Dc 20
    Greater: restores one 4th level, two 3rd, three 2nd or four 1st DC25

Everytime you use a potion the DC to become addicted goes up by 1 for lesser, 2 for normal and 3 for greater.

So if you use one lesser the DC for a lesser potion becomes 16, normal: 21 and greater 26.
    If you've used two normal, one greater and 1 lesser then the DC for lesser: 21, normal: 26 and greater: 31.

Each month without using a potion lowers it by 1 DC to a minimum of the original numbers.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

So, would posting the BoVD rules on here be a no-no?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Since they're not OGL, it would be a no-no.

I'd put some sort of a cap on how many you can use per day or per hour. Otherwise, pffh's list sounds about right.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I figured taking -con would limit the use of the item outright. ODing causes massive magic surge but can kill you.
    Last edited by Steelblood; 2010-01-08 at 10:19 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I figured taking -con would limit the use of the item outright. ODing causes massive magic surge but can kill you.
    There are ways to get around CON damage (being undead comes to mind), though if the players aren't optimizing I'd agree that it should be enough.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

You can also limit the use with con modifier = how many you can use per day (the stronger the potion the more uses it counts as, with the list I posted up there it would be lesser = 1, normal = 2 and greater = 3) and if you go over your con modifier then you roll a %d with 25% per use (one use 25%, two 50% etc) you go over to take a permanent - to something (con? wis? cha?).

I don't have BoVD with me at the moment so I don't know how they handle addiction in there.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

That's how you check that the potion the dealer wants to sell is any good.

You check the Vial Darkness.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Also, decide what effects withdrawal will have if an addicted character tries (or is forced) to quit.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    There are ways to get around CON damage (being undead comes to mind), though if the players aren't optimizing I'd agree that it should be enough.
    If they are immune to con damage, they are immune to the drug.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well i was gonna kinda make that a plot hook, get the wizard addicted and then have a shortage of the supply. Sending the party on a quest to reopen the supply channels.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

i need to work out good pros and cons for this elixer though. i was thinking somthing along the lines of 1 does replenishes 1 spell slot of that lvl. So taking 2 doses replenishes one 2nd lvl spl slot so on and so forth. Disadvantage of -1 con per dose for 24hrs. With a will save DC 35 not to become addicted.
    Of course, a clever player just binds Naberius and gets addicted without caring, and handle any supply problems the old fashioned way (Major Creation!).

JaronK

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Introduce a Green Star Adept...

I tried playing one. But I messed up and now he's a pile of green rubble.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Sharn's sourcebook from eberron also includes Da Rules.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

One thing I haven't been able to figure out from the Book of Vile Darkness rules is whether a straightforward Remove Curse will counter addiction. The spell description would seem to make this possible, and the BoVD text doesn't make a counterstatement.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Introduce a Green Star Adept...

I tried playing one. But I messed up and now he's a pile of green rubble.
    No, turning Wizards into piles of green rubble is basically the point of that PrC.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    "Black Lotus. Stygian. The best!"
    This better not be Haga.

I wonder if 4E would simulate addiction ... maybe building it as a disease with worsening symptoms, but eventually faded on its own?
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-01-09 at 01:38 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Even though as people have said WOTC has published addiction rules, i wouldn't trust WOTC to make a proper set of addiction rules... just make something up.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    No, turning Wizards into piles of green rubble is basically the point of that PrC.
    He was actually going to be ok for our party.

He started off as a Bard 6, went into Green Star Adept 4, he had enough skill points to qualify for Sublime Chord at eleventh which is when most straight bards qualify. I know thou shalt not lose caster levels but the build would have caught up at 11th and not suffered greatly from spell loss until later. We never end up playing at those high levels anyway, so optimising for levels 10-13 is how I do it..

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Last_resort_33 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the BoVD provided 3.X rules for substance abuse...
    People using the BOVD/BOED provides me with an excuse for my substance abuse.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Well, how hard do you want it, and how nasty?

I would probably steal from Psionics and make each dose worth a certain number of points, which restored spell slots as if those points were psionic powers... so a 17 point potion could restore a single 9th level slot, or some combination of lower slots that add up to 17. I would then make the saving throw be Base + Number of points restored + number of doses taken.

Maybe something like this:

Each dose is worth X points, depending on size and purity. With each dose, you take X nonlethal damage, and must make a Fortitude save with a DC of 15 + X + remaining non-lethal damage to avoid addiction (meaning folks who use a lot of it are more likely to get addicted). I make it a fortitude save because we're talking about Wizard slots, and I want to represent physical addiction. Wizards will have a good Will save, but a poor Fort save. You might go with a Con check, instead, to represent that anyone, of any level, can get just as addicted.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    He was actually going to be ok for our party.

He started off as a Bard 6, went into Green Star Adept 4, he had enough skill points to qualify for Sublime Chord at eleventh which is when most straight bards qualify. I know thou shalt not lose caster levels but the build would have caught up at 11th and not suffered greatly from spell loss until later. We never end up playing at those high levels anyway, so optimising for levels 10-13 is how I do it..
    IIRC, he shouldn't have even qualified for GSA until 8. Bards don't get 3rd level spells until 7.

And your build would have been better simply by replacing every instance of 'GSA' with 'Eldritch Knight'. That's not an argument for the GSA, it's an argument for the awesomeness of Sublime Chord.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.