New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Gestalt Psion//Factotum [3.5]

Hi everyone, just thought I'd jump into a high-powered game with a Psion//Factotum type character, but I want to be able to keep up with the rest of the group (never tried high-level psionics before).

Game is 32 point buy and starts at 18th level with standard wealth, probably proceeding into epic levels. That's if all the PC's are alive by then: the DM is pretty hardcore and loves killing powerful PC's (i.e. most of them).

The party:
    Goliath PsyWar//Fighter spiked-chain tripper
    Half-Orc Barbarian/Bear Warrior//Fighter
    Gray Elf Wu-Jen/Incantatrix/Archmage//Duskblade
    Lesser Aasimar Sorcerer/Various PrC's//Favored Soul.
    Whisper Gnome Artificer//Wizard/Incantatrix/Shadowcraft Mage
    Probably with various critters of the Artificer and the Wu-Jen's clones.

The party strategy is pretty simple. The Goliath locks down an area while the Bear Warrior rips peoples faces off and the spellcasters blast everything to oblivion

I'd probably be the int-based rogue fill-in or jack-of-all-trades kind of guy. I was thinking a level in Master of Masks (CS) for the gladiator mask for all exotic weapons and 2 or so levels in Chameleon for a floating feat. What are good PrC's for Psion's? I was thinking Illithid Slayer for a gish build or Anarchic Initiate for a blaster build.

This is a Forgotten Realms campaign, but just about any material is allowed (including Eberron material). The DM frowns upon 3.0 material, but is open to some things.

Just as a side note, the DM pretty much waves multi-classing penalties in gestalt as long as it doesn't get too ridiculous.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Chimera

Default Re: Gestalt Psion//Factotum [3.5]

What kind of psion are you?

Psion//factotum is very potent, you should no trouble contributing or even dominating encounters.

PrC that I like as a psion are:
    anarchic initiate: chaotic surge has a 50% chance of empowering you power, 25% chance of sound nothing and 25% chance of decreasing it's effectiviness. Pretty good odds. A psion with wild surge= godly.

Thrallherd: you get a thrall. Nuff said right?

Constructer (mind's eye): great for shapers or anyone who uses astral constructs a lot, utility construct is sweet too.

Crystal master (mind's eye): you can improve yourself in a vast amount of ways from boosting INT, to getting cool PLAs. Not as potent as the others but cool none the less.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I'm probably a going to be a Nomad. I do so love teleport-by attacks. And escapist/skillmonkey shenanigans with factotum.

The DM is allowing me 2 researched powers right off the top (in addition to whatever I get from EK), so I was thinking Energy Missile, Schism, Control Body (w/Solicit Psicrystal of course), or Metamorphosis. Research 2 and EK the rest. Any other good non-Nomad powers I should be aware of?

Anarchic Initiate looks good, aye?

I'm not a big fan of keeping more than one character sheet. Mine's already getting pretty huge because I keep track of everything. I do like the look of Crystal Master, though. Even if I don't play it in this game, I'm definately using it in a side project.

4. - Top - End - #4

Go Human Ghost (LA 5) / Evolved Undead (x15) // Paladin of Tyranny 2 / Wilder 18

It's so unethical, it's fun.

Then again, with 2 incantatrixes, it's not too bad. +34 Charisma from racial/Template bonuses, add in +5 from Level gains, +2 Age, +5 Inherent, +6 enchancement, and an 18 base?

70 Cha, for a +30 DC to your abilities (including the ghost abilities), and a metric crapton of PP. Oh, and a +30 Deflection to AC and saves.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

CHA to everything AND Full Wilder casting (Prac Manifester of course)!
    And all the Evolved & Ghost goodies too!

That is unfair!
    Not quite what I had in mind (I like INT-based characters; I can't help but be attracted to smart characters), but I'm gonna spring that one in another campaign. Maybe w/ 1-2 levels of Marshal for more charisma goodies!

Good powers anyone? No syncronicity shenanigans, mind!