New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Roleplaying Jerk

How should I respond to someone roleplaying an assasinny rogue thats kinda sadistic, and mildly cruel? He's been disrespecting me lately and I want him to know who's on top here. And no, casting sleep and cutting his throat is not an acceptable solution. I want this to end with him either him fearing or loving me, it does not matter which.

He seems to have this idea that wizards are weak (in 4e) and he's all badass. I'm lvl 12 and hes lvl 10 only after he begged the DM for more xp to catch up. Which exasperates my disbelief at his disrespect for someone I could squash like a bug.
    Last edited by HMS Invincible; 2010-01-12 at 02:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Roleplaying Jerk

Next time he insults you right before combat, sit the combat out. Burn your at-will and encounter abilities summoning tea, warming tea, and making a puddle of tea in front of you so enemies can't reach you to attack. See how well he does without your powers to grant CA.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Use fire. Fire solves everything.

yes. even that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Squash him like a bug.

Really, do it. Best case scenario (unlikely) is that he admits he was wrong and changes his way. Worst case is he becomes very angry and leaves the game. Which isn't that bad either since he's a jerk. Screw him.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2010-01-12 at 02:04 AM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

5. - Top - End - #5

Talk to him like a reasonable person.

And then if he doesn't let up, conveniently keep dropping him into the AoE of your controllery powers that never seem to target his strong defenses. He'll eventually get the hint.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Next time he insults you right before combat, sit the combat out. Burn your at-will and encounter abilities summoning tea, warming tea, and making a puddle of tea in front of you so enemies can't reach you to attack. See how well he does without your powers to grant CA.
    That works if they're the only two party members. And by "work" I mean "kill the other party member indirectly."

Actually, did the assassin say this, or did the assassin's player say this? If the latter, are you planning on sabotaging the IC party dynamic for the sake of proving a point? A point that might even be wrong, considering the fact that wizards need save-reducing cheese to be any good, anyway?

Speaking of which, if I'm wrong here and it's a good idea to go through with this, you could just go with Sir Homeslice's idea and "accidentally" stick him in the radius of a Sleep or a Face of Death and make sure your buddies don't snap him out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Do something along these lines. Basically, you are witholding your aid from this guy because he's acting like an ass. Then, when he gets mad at you for not helping him, say that if he's so much better than you like he claims he wouldn't have needed your help. This will work better if you can exclude just the jerk player and not your whole party from benefitting from your presence.

I've used a similar strategy to deal with people in real life. When people are total jerks and make it clear that they don't respect me, I stop doing favors for them. (Usually, I'm too nice for my own good, so this was hard for me to do at first.) From my experiences, it doesn't really change the other person's ways, but at least I'm not taken advantage of anymore.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    He seems to have this idea that wizards are weak (in 4e) and he's all badass.
    So? It's quite common for players to think that class A is uber and/or class B is pitiful; you shouldn't let that bother you. It seems such players are not generally going to change their opinion anyway.

I'm lvl 12 and hes lvl 10 only after he begged the DM for more xp to catch up. Which exasperates my disbelief at his disrespect for someone I could squash like a bug.
    Squash him like a bug, just because he's two levels lower? I'm quite sure that 4E doesn't work that way.

Anyway, don't go all passive-aggressive on him because that doesn't help. Just try and talk it out.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

How should I respond to someone roleplaying an assasinny rogue thats kinda sadistic, and mildly cruel? He's been disrespecting me lately and I want him to know who's on top here. And no, casting sleep and cutting his throat is not an acceptable solution. I want this to end with him either him fearing or loving me, it does not matter which.

He seems to have this idea that wizards are weak (in 4e) and he's all badass. I'm lvl 12 and hes lvl 10 only after he begged the DM for more xp to catch up. Which exasperates my disbelief at his disrespect for someone I could squash like a bug.
    Do nothing, he's roleplaying.

Unless the player, outside of gaming, is also a jerk. Then bring it up OoC.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

10. - Top - End - #10

i think the fact that the OP wanted him to fear/love him indicate that he means that his in game charecter is annoyed and he wants advise on how he can show the assain whos who.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Which is "he": the character, or the player?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vegetalss4 View Post
    i think the fact that the OP wanted him to fear/love him indicate that he means that his in game charecter is annoyed and he wants advise on how he can show the assain whos who.
    was just about to say the same. so yeah, seconded.

Withold your help for a encounter, being him into negatives if he anger your wizard to much. or not, he might decide to kill you for it. incinerating a human standing just behind the assassin to a small crisp of dust is also fine.

(spørs kor bra menneska e med ketchup. trur man heller ville salte dem. men viss vi smake som kylling e vel grillkrydder mer passaness)
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want to humiliate him without just plain killing him, then try to do better than him in some way:
    Using invisibility and silence spells to sneak better than he does.
    Kill foes instantly from stealth with touch attacks.
    Charm captives into cooperation instead of torturing them.

If you can manage it, tip off the local guard to his activity - making sure they know he's a dangerous and deadly assassin, so they come equiped - let him get good and worried that he's going to be killed, and then save his worthless ass.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Imply, strongly and at every opportunity, that he (the rogue, not his player) is mentally deficient in some way. If he ever asks you what you plan to do in a given situation, insinuate that his feeble mind cannot possibly grasp your strategy. Lament the brain cells that routinely die for every moment you spend in his company. When he addresses you, respond as though a snail has suddenly developed the temerity to try and converse with you. And when he insults you, simply ignore him. Even in 4e, you are still god.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

^ Hah, sounds like a typical narcissist jerk wizard. Very good.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

oh, and when you do it, talk really clear and rrreeaallly slowly.
    "Dooo yooouuu underr-staaaand meeee?"
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

1) Make sure to keep this purely in-character. If it's OOC, confront the player about his irritating behavior. But if it's IC, enjoy watching the antics and counter-douchebaggery.
    2) Make sure you don't push the assassin too far. You have to push him hard, obviously, but too hard and he'll hold a potentially lethal grudge. Of course, the IC answer to that would be murdering him, but that's liable to cause OOC tension.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

I might be in the minority here, but when someone thinks I'm crappy, I just do something nice to remind him how un-crappy I am. This might include buffing the **** ouf him so he can better kick arse. This might mean sleeping an entire room so he can coup everyone in there, etc. Then I politely remind him that I'm the one who made it all possible. That has actually worked on two fellow players.

Adversly, you could do what two players in my old 3.5 game did and buy the other character a cursed broom. It's not very vindictive, but man it's funny as hell to watch.
    Last edited by The J Pizzel; 2010-01-12 at 09:52 AM.
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

Live everyday like it's your last and one day, you'll be right.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Use fire. Fire solves everything.

yes. even that.
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Spoiler
    Show
    And that would be wrong.
    Play a wizard. Be the Goddamn Batman.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Chimera

This is not an issue limited to 4th edition. Even if wizards are gimp and rogue are awesome, it doesn't give him the right to treat you poorly.

First you should talk to him and set clear boundaries both IC and OCC. Something to the effect of: "pull that $hit again and I'll show you just how 'gimp' wizards are" with varying degrees of forcefulness.

Now that he has fair warning you can do any of the things that everyone has posted. If you act out without fair warning you are just being passive-aggressive and just as bad as he is. Get the rest of party on your side too.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The J Pizzel View Post
    when someone thinks I'm crappy, I just do something nice to remind him how un-crappy I am. This might include buffing the **** ouf him so he can better kick arse. This might mean sleeping an entire room so he can coup everyone in there, etc. Then I politely remind him that I'm the one who made it all possible. That has actually worked on two fellow players.
    Agreement.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

It sounds purely IC to me but clear any OOC issues up first if it involves those too.

Then arrange with your DM the following plan:
    1) Buy some Ground Thassil Root
    2) Put Root in booze.
    3) Challenge him to a drinking contest.
    4) Hope he gets an 11 or less on the saving throw.
    5) He passes out, DM withholds information since his character is knocked out.
    6) Character wakes up in bed with a naked male dwarf you hired for just such an occasion.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    It sounds purely IC to me but clear any OOC issues up first if it involves those too.

Then arrange with your DM the following plan:
    1) Buy some Ground Thassil Root
    2) Put Root in booze.
    3) Challenge him to a drinking contest.
    4) Hope he gets an 11 or less on the saving throw.
    5) He passes out, DM withholds information since his character is knocked out.
    6) Character wakes up in bed with a naked male dwarf you hired for just such an occasion.
    Unless he is a dwarf, in which case make it a different race.

Or a male elf. It might be a few minutes before he notices the handout is not a hot elf chick
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Very true.

Really though just choose a race/gender combination you know he won't like.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Some people think that "Roleplaying is good, therefore as long as I'm roleplaying, they must reward me". If you confront them, they will respond "Hey, I'm just roleplaying".

First,figure out if the Player is a jerk, or if they are just roleplaying a jerk and don't realize it's really really bugging you. If the former, it's time for the 'ol OOC discussion. If the latter, work somthing amusing out. Ask him "What would my character have to do to earn your character's respect", then do a more amusing and/or Badass version of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #26

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    Very true.

Really though just choose a race/gender combination you know he won't like.
    Warforged. Anything.

Or kobolds.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Unless he is a dwarf, in which case make it a different race.

Or a male elf. It might be a few minutes before he notices the handout is not a hot elf chick
    You're doing it wrong.

He wakes up between a goblin and an Orc.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    He wakes up between two gnomes with the town guard kicking the door in
    Fixed for hilarity

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    You're doing it wrong.

He wakes up between Two Gnomes, a town guard kicking the door in, and the guard captain's wife.
    Improved upon even further.
    [/Center]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I vote for talking to him out of game about it. Just be like "I know you're just roleplaying your character, but it's getting to me outside of game. Could you please tone it down?" Or something. I've certainly been the recipient of that type of conversation. Some people are better equiped to distance themselves from their characters, so they don't always realize when in game insults hurt out of game feelings.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.