New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: [3.5] Mooks

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] Mooks

'Ello all. I'm working on a campaign setting that, on a previous run that was almost entirely ad-libbed, it occured to me that I need to have various sheets for mooks of X specialization. X being... whatever comes up as nessicary. So instead of halting the campaign mid-session in order to roll up new specialized mooks, I wanted to ask you what such entities I should roll up ahead of time. This is what I have so far:

-----

City Guard (Self-Explanitory.):
    Guard (Shortsword/Shortbow. Glorified Rent-a-Cop.) Level 1 Fighter
    Heavy Guard (Shortsword/Tower Shield/Fullplate. Basically SWAT.) Level 2 Fighter

Templars (Mostly Elven Paladins. They crusade agains things.):
    Templar (Longsword/Heavy Shield. Often uses (non-magical) mount.) Level 2 Paladin

White Hand (Necromantic Cult. Aims to "hieghten Life's standards" by way of zombie apocalypse.):
    Cleric of the White Hand (Dagger. More likely to scheme than fight.) Level 1 Cleric.

-----

Keep in mind that of the NPC classes I only ever use Commoners (aka "No Class") and of the PC classes I don't use Bards, Monks, or Sorcerers, and I'm iffy about Druids.

This of course does not include important folks in these organization. The only guard captain I have rolled right now is level 5, for reference.
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2010-01-14 at 06:39 PM.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Mooks

Thieves would be a good idea if you're running any adventures in a city.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Random priest (cleric) that provides healing services is useful to have statted up sometimes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

As a random event, I suppose, yeah. This has so far been a largely urban adventure. I was currently just focusing on what the various factions that the PCs have run into would need.

Thieves... hrm, Lvl 1 Rogue for a pickpockets, Lvl 1 Fighter for a mugger...

Then theres the Orc faction... and main (non-Templar) Elf Faction... but they're still half a continent away, so I'm not worried about them right now.

EDIT: Ninja'd. I suppose a healer would be good. Then of course the generic lvl 1 commoner mook.
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2010-01-14 at 06:50 PM.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

It's also just occured to me that since the White Hand managed to recently establish a vampiric foothold in the city where the campaign is currently focused, it would be reasonable to have a few Vampire Spawn mooks rolled up.

Any opinions on what level they should be? Keep in mind I do have Libris Mortis, so partially-leveled vamp-spawns are a possibility.

EDIT: Oh, and it's a low-level campaign. As in, 1st or 2nd level. At least for now...
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2010-01-14 at 08:10 PM.

ENBY

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm I'll see if I can dig up my old generic (very very generic) npc sheet that I use for guards, priests, clerics, archers, whatever npc I didn't expect the pc's to attack and I don't have stats for etc.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

When equipping npc's do note the value of their gear, a level 2 fighter in full plate armour is just free loot running around.

If you want a persistent world level the npc's according to the surrounding area.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *As a DM I run sand-box games.
    Challenge me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

the best mook class is monk.
    they have decent AC, all good saves, decent HP, inborn SR, crap bab, crap damage, crap grapple, and MAD like crazy... and at level 20 you can summon them with gate and bind them to serve you.

they will give long dramatic combats, but pose little threat to the PCs.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

What level should the Heavy Guards be, then? They're specifically built up for raids/roit control. I just made 'em level 2 because it seemed reasonable-ish when you consider that they tend to do shield wall-type tactics. (Reasonable in the sense that they can give a good fight to the trip-happy sythe wielding mummy in the party, while not totally overwhelming him.)

EDIT: Ninja'd. Again, as I stated in the original post, I don't allow Monks in my campaign setting because I hate their wire-fu bull**** with a passion.
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2010-01-14 at 09:45 PM.

ENBY

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akushin Oka View Post
    What level should the Heavy Guards be, then? They're specifically built up for raids/roit control. I just made 'em level 2 because it seemed reasonable-ish when you consider that they tend to do shield wall-type tactics. (Reasonable in the sense that they can give a good fight to the trip-happy sythe wielding mummy in the party, while not totally overwhelming him.)

EDIT: Ninja'd. Again, as I stated in the original post, I don't allow Monks in my campaign setting because I hate their wire-fu bull**** with a passion.
    Level? It depends. The mooks should probably be level 2 to 4. The captains and leaders should obviously be higher level or have higher stats, etc.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-01-14 at 09:48 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Currently, the Captain of the Guard (and current highest level member of such) is a level 5 fighter. There is, however, the Captain's "pet", a 5th level Minotaur Barbarian (ECL 13, 2nd toughest character in the city), but he's only brought out for extreme circumstances.

ENBY