New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrogant elves

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Arrogant elves

I was wondering if Arrogant elves are common for stereotype for people and if so where do people get the idea elves are arrogant?
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Arrogant elves

they are prettier, smarter, more magical, and live for almost a thousand years...
    henceforth they must be really arrogant. (because, apparently, recognizing your superiority means you are arrogant)
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

dey iz also squishier, whiches why da orcz think they stoopid.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

And I will call him Squishey and he will be my Squishey <3

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

its just something you see a lot in fiction. Although often its that the elves get to tell every one else how much better they are then humans (often times humans agree becuase the elves are just so super special awesome) This was often then subverted.
    see
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ArgueWithElves
    and
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ElvesAreBetter

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-01-14 at 10:26 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The Silmarillion and Tolkien for me anyway.

It wasn't so much the authors intent that they were arrogant, it is only that there overall demeanor of being a superior people and mistrusting men comes into light when after reading the Sil you realize they've made bigger and worse mistakes than men ever have and still give them crap.

8. - Top - End - #8

OldWizardGuy

I imagine Tolkien's influence as a staple magical-fantasy writer, has something to do with the notion that Elves are arrogant.

I like that D&D 4.0 divided elves into down-to-earth woodsy creatures, and left the tingly magical aloof aspect to their Eladrin brethren.

While it does make sense to say that Elves are arrogant for reasons X, and Y, it is also the case that any group of beings can have a strong bias towards their own qualities, on top of snobbery, leading towards arrogance.

The staple elf in my campaign world is more isolationist than pretentious, for instance. It's all in the flavoring.

[Edit]

Ninja'd apparently.
    Last edited by DabblerWizard; 2010-01-14 at 10:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

See, Tolkein's elves weren't so much "arrogant" as they were aloof. Then other people, having less finesse with their writing skills, make them arrogant because they can't handle not-arrogant aloof.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    {Scrubbed}
    The Fey, from which the concept of Elves descends, were incredibly powerful, selfish and downright malicious creatures. Discworld's Elves, for example, harken back to the days when Elves weren't hippies, they would gut you (with magic) for their own amusement. Asking why elves are arrogant is like asking why dragons fly or why Vampires are Always Evil. It's always been like that. Recent literature and "literature" has, perhaps, subverted that expectation, but that's no reason to lose the roots of the species.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-01-14 at 10:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Obligatory TV Tropes Links

Our Elves Are Better because they are a Superior Species.

If that doesn't give you enough background, I'm sure I can find more links
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2010-01-14 at 10:28 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Dragonlance was definitely a large source of the "elves are greater than thou" stereotype. And Lackey didn't help much either.

13. - Top - End - #13

Default Re: Arrogant elves...

...should only be played with friends who appreciate RPing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Obligatory TV Tropes Links

Our Elves Are Better because they are a Superior Species.

If that doesn't give you enough background, I'm sure I can find more links
    CURSE YOU AND YOUR TV TROPES!
    Originally Posted by gdiddy
    There can be no resurrection of 3.5. But the SRD is the phylactery of 3.5 and it's kind of eternal for that.

Legacy of the Immortals Campaign Setting Any feedback, help or ideas you have are greatly appreciated.
    My Campaign Log (Apologize for Walls of Text)
    My House Rules
    My take on the Druid
    Prime20. Where Rule of Cool rules Alternatively, come to the new and improved Prime20 Thread!
    The wiki for Prime20

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

A group that is not merely different but recognizably better, and doesn't deny their advantages, will come across as arrogant. Separatist cultures are often seen as a sign of arrogance. And elves are often portrayed with mild expressions, which many people infer to mean that they're intellectually arrogant and will look down on anyone emotional. Since any given elf has at LEAST one of those traits in any game system or world, on the whole they've got quite an arrogant vibe.

Oh, and arrogance is a survival trait within drow society.

It's funny ... orcs and dwarves are also often portrayed as arrogant, but less stylishly and intelligently so. Gnomes and halflings are pretty much immune to it, though.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Psh. Any race can be arrogant. Go play an evil arrogant gnome. And make sure they're really evil. Enough so to make me reconsider ever playing a gnome.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    Psh. Any race can be arrogant. Go play an evil arrogant gnome. And make sure they're really evil. Enough so to make me reconsider ever playing a gnome.
    The trouble with arrogant gnomes - they are usually portrayed as very curious and open to other societies, where elves tend towards insularity and seclusion. A xenophobic gnome is like a xenophobic kender - possible, but highly unlikely.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Another part of the issue is that they're wrongfully arrogant. They've got a society that has existed since the creation of the world and they're barely up to the same tech level as the inferior humans. They're magical...in no appreciable way. They're smarter than us, but they require 100 years to graduate high school. And they're generally the ones behind the ancient cataclysm, the evil warlord, or the sealed evil in a can. And yet they're pissed at us for cutting down trees.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Elves seem arrogant to humans for similar reasons that adults seem arrogant, bossy, know-it-alls to teenagers.

The difference is that most humans don't live long enough to experience the shift in perspective most ex-teenagers do...

20. - Top - End - #20

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    It wasn't so much the authors intent that they were arrogant, it is only that there overall demeanor of being a superior people and mistrusting men comes into light when after reading the Sil you realize they've made bigger and worse mistakes than men ever have and still give them crap.
    Got that right!

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Another part of the issue is that they're wrongfully arrogant. They've got a society that has existed since the creation of the world and they're barely up to the same tech level as the inferior humans. They're magical...in no appreciable way.
    This is generally the reason dwarves look askance at them, according to Races of Stone. They believe elves are irresponsible given the length of their lives and the perspective it should provide. Not to mention, few dwarves (or humans) understand the importance of venerating nature to the detriment of progress.

Although, on the flip side of the coin, an elf might argue that technological advancement is not the evolutionary path intelligent races should be striving for, but rather integration with nature - which has existed before, and will exist after, sentient life fades.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Akisa View Post
    I was wondering if Arrogant elves are common for stereotype for people and if so where do people get the idea elves are arrogant?
    From Eragon.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-15 at 02:22 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Its to balance out the fact that their freaking awesome, what with the immortality and magic affinity and all. They need some disadvantage.
    "What do you tell to a drunken sailor?" "Tell him to turn off his cellphone!"

http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/d...rising/8199671 Download my book for free! You might even enjoy it.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by FuegoAzul View Post
    Its to balance out the fact that their freaking awesome, what with the immortality and magic affinity and all. They need some disadvantage.
    Their disadvantage is living too long. Duh. I mean, you'd have some degree of detachment to other races too if you were three thousand years old.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"Elves are not arrogant. As an elf, I can assure you of this from the perspective of my superior intellect and experience. Now, how about you take your army elsewhere and let the 15 of us deal with the orcish menace."

Quote from a game.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Their disadvantage is living too long. Duh. I mean, you'd have some degree of detachment to other races too if you were three thousand years old.
    That's true. Tolkien tried to balance that out with the sailing away from the world and all but that was more annoying then anything. its like "Oh look the world is getting screwed over... Whatever."
    "What do you tell to a drunken sailor?" "Tell him to turn off his cellphone!"

http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/d...rising/8199671 Download my book for free! You might even enjoy it.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Akisa View Post
    I always assumed it was designer's intent to portray them as snobbish, better-than-though, wine-sipping aryans.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Ah yes, the great disadvantage there, living too long. It's a wonder anyone ever plays them with such a massive weight around their skinny necks.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2010-01-15 at 02:37 AM.