Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: Now with 50% more Sigmund

Spoiler
    Show

here's a little fanart for the lp

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Wow. Very nice. I'm not quite sure what a new and, frankly, rather poor LP has done to deserve fans, let alone fanart, but thanks. Now I wish I could draw.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Working on it, Trog. Working on it.

A two-handed weapon... hm. Could be tricky. Could be, but it wasn't. The next room, on the other hand...

Orc, orc, jel... get it away from me. Wand time. Couple blasts from my trusty wand of frost took care of that, at least. That's the third jelly I've seen so far (one was offscreen). They're supposed to be rarer than this.

That thing you see is a wight. It's not terribly strong or tough. That's not the problem, though. Its hits, even with a weapon, quite often drain XP. Thankfully, this was not the case for this particular fight, but still, draining monsters are horrid.

To your right you will see a Giant Beetle. Think of them as super-worms. High AC, low EV, very slow (one move for every two, sometimes three of yours), hits hard, tons of HP. Inexplicably poisonous if eaten.

Another orc warrior that had a magical longsword. Whyyyyyy.

Killer bee.. larva? This can only mean one thing. They're horribly weak monsters, but...

Well, I'll just show you by going into that passage the second larva is coming out of. I'm going to have to face it eventually anyway.

I hate being right, sometimes.

Killer bees are flying, and exceptionally fast, getting two moves for each of yours. They also have a decent amount of HP/EV, hit for reasonable amounts of damage, and pack about as much poison as a scorpion. Larva are just weak creatures. Might as well be inedible quokkas or something (they're all poisonous to eat). The big thing in the middle? A queen bee, essentially a killer bee with three times the HP and twice the damage, more or less.

Trog's Hand together with troll regen often works as a poor man's poison immunity, here. Such is not the case, sadly, when you're this poisoned. As a ditch attempt, I rely on berserk and Trog-given extensions thereof to get through this.

Well, that went well. My berserk vanished and now I'm slowed.

What follows is a frantic Heal Wounds Potion quaff-fest while waiting for my teleport scroll to take me to a staircase.

I survived, at the expense of a bunch of very useful potions. This screenshot was taken after fleeing upstairs, resting and coming back down.

You know what? I'm ignoring those bees until I have poison resistance, and going downstairs.

Two shields - I'm standing on one - in a game where shields are fairly rare. Guess what? The RNG hates me, as evidenced by the loot so far and that beehive.

Oklob plants. They are mercifully rare, and one of the game's few stationary enemies. As a rule, stationary enemies can attack you if they see you and you're standing on one of the red X squares around them. They are resilient (hint: non-named statues may be one-shotted with a wand of disintegration), and have some nasty attacks. The Oklob plant spits acid, dealing large amounts of damage and potentially corroding your gear. To date, I have killed one Oklob Plant, at a rather high level, and I'd still rather not face them at all. I told you the RNG hates me.

So I ran again. You would have done the same, trust me. Unless you like horrible corrosive death. And really, who am I to know? Maybe you do. But I don't, so I ran. A ring of Ice weakens fire spells, powers up ice spells, makes you weak against fire, and grants cold resistance. Ice rings - and their twins, fire rings - have a habit of showing up for characters that would be hindered by them, or have no use for them. Like now.

Brown snakes. They're essentially what happens when you combine a snake's movement speed and a scorpion's stats, and make the resulting creature poisonous to eat. They are not nice. They are also the least dangerous of the large snakes, which in no way makes them a pushover.

A thought occurs. I can be a horrible coward Casualty, hero and saviour of worlds, destroyer and eater of his enemies! I can stand around a corner and use the miracle of area damage by means of my fireball wand to dispose of the Oklob. Let's toss two shots down into that room and see how it goes. It's a plant, it can't be that fireproof.

I really should have seen this coming. Note the ridiculously out-of-place shrine of Okawaru. Note also Casualty, fleeing the scene like the hero he is. Having cleared out all non-Oklob portions of the floor shortly afterwards, I go down to floor 10.

Oh. This could be a problem..

You missed the screenshot, but basically, I fought them off and retained about 30 HP. Didn't use berserk, admittedly, but I did use a heal wounds potion.

Oh, good grief. This thing shouldn't show up for another five floors or so. What you see here is an Unseen Horror. A bat's evasion/speed, damage output to rival/beat an ogre, and a bunch of HP. Oh, and invisibility, plus a bat's hit-and-run tactics. Fun times. Basically, I can't outrun it, and so I have no choice except lashing out randomly and chugging down healing potions, while under the effects of Trog's Hand. Berserk would only hinder me in a long battle like this.

And that's how Casualty became what none of us ever expected him to be. A casualty. May he rest in peace.

...Who am I kidding? He'll return to haunt floor 10 until someone violences him. Now, draconian reaver, was it? Any name preferences, Gorgon?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

No! Casualty!
    You should have tried to bribe the Horror with longswords and artifacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Good bye Casualty, you shall be missed.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

So much for thrilling heroics.

Oh well, let's see how our reaver does. And what our reaver does, because I forgot what that class does.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh, guess it was only a matter of time.

Spoiler
    Show

Next!
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

His name is Newton. Because he's a lizard, you see. Newt. Newton. I realize that this isn't funny. That's what makes it funny.

Look, it's your fault for expecting me to be entertaining.

Oh, and since Herman asked, Reavers wear light armour/robes and alternately stab and explode things. A melee/caster hybrid, where the magic in question is conjuration. By the way, reavers are not recommended for draconians, and should you pick one anyway, short blades are the only starting weapon that's not recommended. Funny, that.

After a single casting of Magic Dart, I have run out of my vast reserves of mana. My MP currently exists in a binary state, which is a bit worrying for a caster. Similarly worrying are my int and dex scores, for someone who casts spells and relies on dodging to survive.

You know, I miss being able to devour everything in sight. Better leave the goblinoids be.

Glee! Glee, Throw Flame (which succeeds about 50% of the time) and 3 MP. I can work with that. More than I could work with the level 1 version of this character, anyway.

Oh, for... really, game? Why do you hate me? Oh, nevermind, it's Stone Soup. Anyway, at least I found an enchanted orcish dagger. Unbranded, but a few whacks with it will tell me what bonuses it has, at least.

Int boost, which I am sorely in need of. Honestly, though, 13 int isn't that clever, whatever Newton may think.

Just to spite me, the magical dagger turns out to be -1/-0. Back to the short sword, now.

Oh. Oh my. This could be a problem.. two snakes at this level are not good news.

Typical. I test my two potions in case of the likely scenario that one is a healing potion. Nope. One hastes me, the other is a potion of Degeneration (stat reduction). I'll just have to stand around here and hope the poison wears off in time.

Honestly, is anyone surprised by this?

First poster to come up with a race/class/name/weapon (if applicable) combo gets to decide what I play next. Get to it! names are optional but encouraged.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote for a demonspawn chaos knight.

Name: Redshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

10. - Top - End - #70

Spriggan Assassin !

EDIT : I guess that is what I get for suggesting that he play a ninja.
    Last edited by vampire2948; 2010-01-19 at 04:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, at least this one didn't got our hopes up.

Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question about that glass-walled-vault-thingy: Is there a way inside of these, or does the game generate them to tease the player?
    Three are the paths of soul:
    One out - roam across the plain,
    One back - dwell with the tribe and tent,
    One in - turn an enemy's hate.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Pfft. Okay, first of all, with that strength and dexterity you shouldn't be using a dagger, unless it has a brand. Stick with the shortsword. Second of all, the game is stupid. They both aren't recommended, for good reasons: draconians are high-str-low-dex creatures, bad for short blades, and they need something that's strong at first level to get to a stage where they're actually powerful, and a reaver is not.
    Of course, right now I'm running around with a level 10 pale draconian reaver, with a massive long blades skill (coz of the synergy with short blades) and killing everything in sight, softening it up with throw flame and creative uses of conjure flame, then hacking it to pieces with my +1 orcish longsword (hey, they're rare, and with my dex it's better than the +3/+3 dagger of speed I picked up on the first floor). You just need a little luck.

Anyways, I vote lugonu for your chaos knight's god.

And for the 3rd character: deep elf necromancer. The only caveat is he can't learn undead-raising spells.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-01-19 at 06:16 PM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Prince Ribbit is the new Sigmund. Hate that guy.

Also, unseen horrors suck.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Demonspawn Chaos Knight it is. Since you failed to specify a god or weapon, I let Vampire pick for me: Lugonu and a spear, respectively.

Spoiler
    Show

Did I mention that Lugonu starts you off in the abyss? The first ability you get can remove you from there, but since you start near a portal anyway, that's just a waste of piety.

Also, chaos knights start with a bit of a slant towards int, compared to most tanks. This, in itself, is strange - int affects casting, not invocations or MP. This particular stat distribution, however, is just utterly ridiculous.

At least I start with a +2 spear.

I scavenged around near the portal for some loot, and find this. This is the switchblade from hell. The weapon of the dark gods. The instrument of our undoing. The blade that will sunder the thrones of emperors and unmake the universe itself.

Or maybe it's just a knife. Nice to have a butchering tool, anyway.

Anything sacrificed is consumed by an endless void. Lugonu doesn't mess around where the souls of victims are concerned.

Can someone explain this for me? Please? I'd make some kind of joke, but this more or less speaks for itself. That jackal is either hopelessly lost, or the best dog ever. Maybe both.

Found some orcish ring mail to replace that leather armour. I'll replace those two ranks of dodging with armour skill eventually, but heavy armour is really far more suited for this character. Meanwhile, the amount of lava makes me wonder if I inadvertently stepped into Dwarf Fortress. Or the magma level of any given platformer.

Note the title: Skirmisher. That's for a small amount of Fighting being my highest skill. It won't last. Nothing goes up more slowly than Fighting and Spellcasting, except maybe Stealth.

We find ourselves on floor 2, at level 2. Meet Ijyb. He's basically a goblin with boosted stats, who is occasionally very deadly. This depends entirely on whether the RNG decides to equip him with, say, a wand of draining or not. Ijyb has a nasty habit of carrying powerful wands. Fortunately, he didn't this time, and was unarmed to boot.

Blind optimism will get you nowhere, Ijyb.

A much-needed strength boost. Not enough, but it's a start.

Now to fetch that spellbook and read it.

I like this spellbook.

Now, there's this ring. Instead of attempting to identify it with my mystery scrolls, I foolishly put it on.

Honestly, we should have seen this outcome coming. Now to check those scrolls for remove curse.

And that's how I discovered that unlike everything else in Crawl, irony can't kill you. Directly, anyway.

The next scroll was Remove Curse, so I disposed of the ring.

Yay, +2 ring mail. Glee and jubilation. Certainly a large improvement, in any case.

Meet Jessica. Jessica can, if memory serves, toss fire, hit people, toss magic darts, haste herself and slow you. She's not much good at any of these things, only has 14 hit points, and is generally weak (wands may still result in horrid unexpected death, but she doesn't seem to receive them as often as Ijyb).

So I promptly get out of view, wait for Jessica to come around the corner, and begin the fight without the annoying "close in while getting shot at" stage.

This should come as no great surprise to anyone, really. The others fell quite quickly, too. Jessica was the powerful one out of them.

Ideally, this is how all our enemies would be dealt with. Idealism has no place in this game. Not until the next version implements idealism elementals/golems/whatever that inspire you to death or something of the sort.

Enough of that, time for floor 3. You may have noted some slow levelling compared to Casualty. This is a combination of Demonspawn taking forever and a half to level, and monsters not being as plentiful as they were for Casualty.

Splint maaaaail! Beats +2 ring mail on the AC. Heavier armour takes your EV down by a ton, but on the other hand, I wasn't planning on dodging anything anyway - I intent to get plate mail as soon as possible.

This looks like a normal cloak, doesn't it? Note the colour. The cloak of Casualty has somehow teleported away from the corpse, up seven floors, and on to the floor here. Waiting for me. It probably has plans for its new owner, much like the One Ring. Plans for heroism.

Yay, dwarven boots. Dwarven gear gives bonuses to armour skill, as I recall, so it's good for that if nothing else.

Level 4, and the mutations finally kick in. An AC boost twice, resulting in +2 innate AC. Oh, and Cure Mutation doesn't remove Demonspawn mutations, by the way. The "you feel stronger" message is not a mutation, but rather the statgain Demonspawn get - one in a random stat, every 4 levels.

Elven cloaks, like elven boots, give a stealth bonus. This is not why I'm putting it on in favour of the old cloak, as I don't have a chance of being stealthy anyway. I do this because the old cloak is surely haunted and hungers for Redshirt's non-existent soul.

This worm, surprisingly, provided no trouble at all. My polearm skill has surpassed my fighting skill, though, and... well, I dislike the new title.

An altar! But we already have a god(dess, it's unclear), and Sif Muna is irrelevant in any case. Assume I used the spear to etch graffiti, pentagrams and amusing pictures of cats on the altar or something.

And so we come to floor 4, with an alarming lack of anything interesting going on.

That's the second snake I see with this character. I really hope no poison is involved.

Ok, so that went better than I expected. I was low on food anyway.

See that staircase to the Ecumenical Temple? We don't need it. The alarming part of this picture is the giant iguana, yet another generic tanky monster that, given our character's lack of... adjustment to the melee persuasion, shall we say, can give us some trouble.

To wit, maiming. And a lack of wit. The good news is that the healing potions in my inventory are blindingly obvious, so I can just drink one.

Level 5, and Lugonu now lets me Banish things - it eats up piety, and it can be resisted, but if it works, it'll send a single enemy to the Abyss. In practice, this means they're dead, but you don't get credit for it. Handy ability, but I need to get more Invocation skill first, so it'll work reliably. It's basically a panic button, so failure is unacceptable.

Well now.. shall I give up on 1 AC in favour of more EV and poison resistance (read: immunity), or keep the splint mail? I have both suits for now, wearing Splint Mail at the moment.

The result of a few shots of Bend Space (weirdblink, look under the Chaos Knight spoiler in the first post) and 20 XP. Invocations used to be rank 2 and 0%, so this is pretty good.

A giant ant. Ok, calm down. It hasn't noticed me, and it can't open doors...

Time to hide behind a door and rest up to full HP, then take it on. I have healing potions. It'll be fine.

Time for a spectacular showdown.

You believed me for a second there, didn't you? Good, so did I. Somehow, the ant didn't poison me, took hits easily, kept missing, and ran off after a little while, so I was forced to chase it until it turned around, and deliver the finishing blow. The resulting corpse was sacrificed.

So far, good enough, despite being a horrid failure of a character on paper. So, do I keep the splint mail, or switch to ring mail with poison resistance? Leaning towards the latter by a wide margin, myself, but it's not my decision to make. I'm not spiteful enough.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-01-19 at 06:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Gorgon: I only took character requests in bulk the first time around. It's basically a matter of ninjaing everyone else after my character dies, now.

And I'm aware of most of what you said, but this was your idea. Honestly, I'm not sure what race would be suited for a Reaver. Human or High Elf, maybe?

Malek: Yes. Controlled (or a very lucky random) teleport. Wands of digging won't take out those rolls - which are translucent rock, according to the game, rather than glass - but disintegration will. You also can't blink past them. Only teleports.

Vitruvian: He's horribly annoying, yes. Basically a Sigmund for higher levels, in many ways. Only with no loot. And yes, unseen horrors are awful. In case anyone cares, see invisible reveals them to be amoeba-esque mauve blobs with a single eye.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

None, actually. Some might say kenkus, in that they're both good at weapons and conjurations. I think they're just a crap race, though, so I wouldn't.
    The game says high elf, deep elf, mountain dwarf, merfolk and demigod. The only one there I can really get behind is demigod: their awesome stats help offset the lack of specialization the reaver suffers early game.

As for unseen horror... that was just brutal. The one and only one I ever saw was at something like level 16, for a sludge elf transmuter... I one shot it with form of the dragon.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

I have a knack for losing good characters to out-of-depth Unseen Horrors, for some reason. But yes, they're rare, and nasty. Still, that whole post was one big slippery slope of decline from the beehive on. Moral of the story: If the RNG wants you dead, nothing will save you.

Oh, and I still dislike demigods. Gods are just too useful. Ah well... Reavers are a bit of an iffy class, but at least they're nowhere near the soul-crushing heap of worthlessness that the game chooses to call Warpers.

Edit: Gorgon, you forgot to pick an armour. If no one votes by the time I have time to kill tomorrow (if I do at all, which isn't guaranteed), I'm going with the ring mail.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-01-19 at 06:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Vitruvian: He's horribly annoying, yes. Basically a Sigmund for higher levels, in many ways. Only with no loot. And yes, unseen horrors are awful. In case anyone cares, see invisible reveals them to be amoeba-esque mauve blobs with a single eye.
    Aw man, i should have know that beforehand. Now it's all inaccurate.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a knack for losing good characters to out-of-depth Unseen Horrors, for some reason. But yes, they're rare, and nasty. Still, that whole post was one big slippery slope of decline from the beehive on. Moral of the story: If the RNG wants you dead, nothing will save you.

Oh, and I still dislike demigods. Gods are just too useful. Ah well... Reavers are a bit of an iffy class, but at least they're nowhere near the soul-crushing heap of worthlessness that the game chooses to call Warpers.

Edit: Gorgon, you forgot to pick an armour. If no one votes by the time I have time to kill tomorrow (if I do at all, which isn't guaranteed), I'm going with the ring mail.
    Don't forget enchanters! And thieves.

As for the armor... ring mail. Definitely.

By the way, have you noticed that, despite the title saying "50% more Sigmund", you've yet to encounter the ol' reaper?

EDIT: I TOTALLY just jinxed you there.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-01-19 at 07:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

That you did, Gorgon. So, ring mail it is.. and yes, lots of Sigmund in good time, I'm sure. Also, enchanters aren't worthless. I like them better than assassins, honestly. Thieves and wanderers don't count, as they're supposed to be useless, while Warpers are presented as viable classes.

Domo: In case you haven't noticed, the drawings are great, and I'm pretty flattered that anyone would bother drawing fanart for this thread in any case, so don't worry about it
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

22. - Top - End - #82

Poison Resistance for sure.

And at some point, when ideas stop trickling in, remember Casualty's children.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

That you did, Gorgon. So, ring mail it is.. and yes, lots of Sigmund in good time, I'm sure. Also, enchanters aren't worthless. I like them better than assassins, honestly. Thieves and wanderers don't count, as they're supposed to be useless, while Warpers are presented as viable classes.

Domo: In case you haven't noticed, the drawings are great, and I'm pretty flattered that anyone would bother drawing fanart for this thread in any case, so don't worry about it
    Pah. Just go stalker. You still get the magic, but start with a decent weapons skill, and some really good equipment.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Do you? Interesting. Never played a Stalker, myself.. I should try that some time. Enchanters are fun, though. Not practical, perhaps, but not as bad as you make them sound.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you? Interesting. Never played a Stalker, myself.. I should try that some time. Enchanters are fun, though. Not practical, perhaps, but not as bad as you make them sound.
    Like a stalker, sans blowgun plus a cloak and book of spells, enchantment and poison, primarily. Deep elf gives you all starting stats at 90 or lower (I love it when you get a race/class combo like that. Another good one is sludge elf transmuter.)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Told you armour would skill up eventually. This is the new invocation score, by the by. Still under construction, so to speak. Lugonu gives two abilities that I really want to be reliable.

Floors continue to be uneventful. Lots of low-key slaughter, though it's hardly effective. I'm honestly not quite sure how Redshirt survived this long. Anyway, next!

Pictured: Giant ant, which was killed, bringing me to level 6. Strength again, of course. I'm not even sure if I'll raise anything else for Redshirt.

I approve of this development. That's 3 AC right there. The weird thing you see further down in the screenshot, by the way, is Centaur barding, the only armour that really fits centaurs. It's actually worn together with normal armour, and gives 4 AC/2EV. Yes, it's armour that actually gives EV. Pretty neat, really, and certainly makes centaurs a tad better. Rare, though, and almost never enchanted.

Elven scalemail. Now, elven body armour is rare. Leather armour and ring mail are seen occasionally (and elven ring mail is a wonderful thing for elven casters to find, I might add), and I have seen elven scale mail twice, including this time. I've also seen elven chain mail once, but never banded/splint/plate mail.

Figured it was rare enough to merit a screenshot, in any case. Not that I have any use for it.

This orc wizard hasted itself and blasted me with all kinds of damaging spells, resulting in the HP you see above. Far more trouble than any orc wizard should cause for me at this level, but then, Redshirt's survival thus far is a Cthulhu-fueled miracle in any case. Yes, I did down a healing potion there.

I don't want to waste real food now, I'm hungry enough to eat raw meat, and there's a corpse here. The logic is evident, of course. I also wanted to prove to Lugonu that Redshirt is horrifically evil GLORIOUSLY HEROIC enough to eat a puppy whole. Raw.

Look, if you'd ever seen Norse or Greek mythology, you'd know this is pretty tame as far as heroes go.

Ow. Centaurs. Centaurs are fast. As in, two moves for every one of yours. They have bows, which they are alarmingly good with, and pack 22 HP. Oh, and they frequently have bows or arrows of frost or flame. Sometimes they have poisoned arrows, but that's rare. They can kick reasonably hard, too, but that's nowhere near as dangerous as a bow.

And here is the solution. Flee, lead them around a corner so they're face to face with them, forcing them to use melee. Then maul them. Still not easy, of course, but you might actually survive. While Redshirt is about as adapted to melee as a bucket of curdled cheese, I can still win this fight.

Forgot to stop lugging the suit of splint mail around. Time to dump it here. Onward to floor 6 and potential death!

A giant beetle. Lessee if I can handle this thing. Any other melee character at my level would be able to, and easily at that.

I really should have expected that. As you may be able to tell, I banished it to the Abyss, at the expense of piety, nutrition, XP to be gained from slaying it, and my pride. A lesser adventurer - James Bond, or some other frequent user of one-liners - would be compelled to say something along the lines of "go to hell" whenever using Banish. I do not. Or maybe I just did. The world will never know.

Does this seem a tad excessive to anyone else? I really hope it does. Too many wizards. Has Trog's crusade against magic done nothing?

Cold attacks can freeze and destroy potions, much like fire destroys scrolls. It's annoying. Somehow, though, three wizards give me much less trouble than one did. There's probably a rule about this sort of thing.

Ok, so the wizard, worm and kobold are tolerable. That's an orc warrior, though. You know, those things that gave Casualty a fair bit of trouble.

Predictably, I had to banish it.

Orc wizards can make themselves invisible. However, they tend to stand in place and hurl easy-to-trace projectiles, or make themselves invisible when they're right next to you, and fail to move away. Makes the spell a tad pointless, as it often ends like you see here.

This centaur? Flaming arrows. Nearly got me there. I hate centaurs, and they're worse by several orders of magnitude if you're a caster or otherwise wear light armour.

There goes a scroll. You know, while this irritates me, at least it's not a jelly, tearing through all my equipment. It could be worse, anyway.

Stairs down... does any of this seem familiar to you?

So, another orc warrior. Stepped on a poisoned needle trap, not that it made any difference.

Morningstar of draining. Ok, I can no longer afford to mess around, it's getting banished.

Honestly, I'm going through piety with all these banishings like a flaming triple-bladed chainsaw through a block of butter contained in a deliciously explosive hydrogen bubble at this point.

I have no clue what a slice of pizza was doing in that room, or why the cruel gods of this game consider it adequate loot for fighting off several orcs, but there it is. And now, to partake of the spoils of war - by which I mean eating a slice of pizza in an unnecessarily ostentatious manner.

The pizza gods have no mercy in their bitter, cheese-coated hearts for demonspawn. Their ways are cruel and taste of anchovy.

Incidentally, a pizza's flavour is randomly determined. And it's determined when you eat it, meaning that until then, it has no taste. Schrodinger's pizza toppings, in other words.

On a more useful note, I got this helmet.

Whee, a ring. Time to identify it. I wonder if it's strength? Or slaying? Sustenance would be nice too. Or even sustain abilities or something.

That... that's nice. I guess I'm free to put on any heavier armour I see, at least? There's a point to this. Sort of. I just wish it was something else.

A few noteworthy things, by the way. A couple Bend Space spams raised my invocation skill to the point that it's overtaken my polearms skill - hence the title change to "believer". I also gained the Corrupt ability - messes with walls, places ones where there were none before, summons demons and so forth. Very strange ability. I keep losing it, too, with the piety loss every time I cast Banish. Pity, but I won't need it for some time. I do have to wonder, though. Will new gear and mutations make Redshirt viable at some point, or will the RNG stop humouring his existence and just kill our favourite Cthulhuknight first? He's a pain to play, I know that much.

Stay tuned or Lugonu will eat your soul.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Redshirt is doing good!

By the way, about the elven armour, it's worth mentioning that even the heavier kinds like elven scale mail count as light armour and train your dodge skill. I'm not sure if the EV penalties are any different, though.

28. - Top - End - #88

yeah, this LP hooked me into playing Crawl again. addictive, even if I don't really get anywhere.

lot of fun trying out the different class/race combos.

got fairly far with a troll monk (made in homage to Casualty), got down to the orc mines and got swarmed to death.

most fun so far has to be Transmuters and Paladins. Paladins are very much easy mode smite machines, but fun just to brute force your way through everything. Transmuters are more tricky, but fun nonetheless. Toss a confusion potion, then send in the snakes.

Will be watching this lp closely, both for amusement and for more ideas.
    My youtube channel, featuring LPs of Minecraft and various other indie games: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa98B36NhE0lWNEn3lGc86Q

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Herman: Good point. I'm aware of that, but forgot to mention it, so thanks. Likewise not sure on the EV thing.

Iskandar: Glad to hear this LP wasted large amounts of your life. And yes, the crazy ideas are fun. Gotta love transmuters, though I never used Sticks to Snakes. I like steam/confusion potions and spider form a good deal better, for the early game.

Troll monks are rather effective. Do yourself a favour and leave the orc mines for later, though. Lair's a far safer bet for a while, especially with poison resistance.

Not a fan of paladins, mind you. I've tried them, yes, and for some reason, mine always just end up as subpar fighters (where my fighters typically choose Okawaru, and fighters/paladins alike are dwarves). No idea why.

Edit: There will be no update until quite late today, like yesterday. Going to be really quite busy for the next week or so.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-01-21 at 04:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I installed this last night and managed to only die 3 times! I did get a few questions though...

How do you bring up the skill menu?

How do you cast a spell?