New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default New Skill and Associated Feats [PEACH]

So my buddy and I were chatting a couple of weeks ago, and he presents me with his idea for a new skill: Brutality. The thing is, you have to convince the DM that your substitution is valid.

So here it is.

New Skill
    *Brutality* (Cha)
    Through an odd combination of rage, hate, force, and luck you do things you are not normally capable of doing.
    *Check:* You may use your Brutality modifier for any skill check of a skill you are not trained in. The DC may be modified by the DM.
    Special: Improved Brutality let you add you Str modifier to your Cha modifier for Brutality checks
    *Synergy:* If you have 5 or more ranks in Intimidate, you get +2 on Brutality checks.
    *Restriction:* Class Barbarian or Feat Brutality no untrained/cross class

*Brutality*
    Through an odd combination of rage, hate, force, and luck you do things you are not normally capable of doing.
    *Benefit:* You gain Brutality as a class skill

*Improved Brutality*
    Through an odd combination of rage, hate, force, luck, and more force you do things you are not normally capable of doing.
    *Prerequisite:* Brutality (feat), Brutality 10 ranks or BAB +5
    *Benefit:* Add both Cha and Str modifiers to Brutality checks
    Originally Posted by gdiddy
    There can be no resurrection of 3.5. But the SRD is the phylactery of 3.5 and it's kind of eternal for that.

Legacy of the Immortals Campaign Setting Any feedback, help or ideas you have are greatly appreciated.
    My Campaign Log (Apologize for Walls of Text)
    My House Rules
    My take on the Druid
    Prime20. Where Rule of Cool rules Alternatively, come to the new and improved Prime20 Thread!
    The wiki for Prime20

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: New Skill and Associated Feats [PEACH]

That's ridiculous. For one feat, you essentially gain max ranks in every skill? Totally ridiculous. Maybe if all DCs were doubled...
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurd Juris View Post
    That's ridiculous. For one feat, you essentially gain max ranks in every skill? Totally ridiculous. Maybe if all DCs were doubled...
    It's worse than that. Unless I'm misreading that, a barbarian doesn't even need to spend that feat to get max ranks in everything.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

This has "Bad Idea" written all over it. The only skills you would ever put ranks into would be Brutality, Intimidate and Wisdom based skills, and it would overshadow the other player's contibutions on any Charisma, Dexterity, or Strength based skills. I can't imagine any way to convince a DM that it would replace any Intelligence or Wisdom based skill, such as Spot or Listen. Now I'm not totally against some amount of powergaming aka optimising, but this takes it straight to munchin levels.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe make this into a ACF for the barbarian:

Lose Trap sense
    Gain: Brutality

You gain a bonus to psychical skills (and some mental) based on you brutality. Apply when making a Str, Dex, Con, check or skill check along with gather information and intimidate.

Special: if you have 5 or more ranks into intimidate you brutality increase by 2.

Feat:
    Savage/Dexterous/Powerful/Wise/Intelligent/Gracefu Brutality
    You Savage/Dexterous/Powerful/Wise/Intelligent/Graceful power knows no bounds
    Need Brutality
    Effect: Gain your Str/Dex/Con/Wis/Int/Cha to you brutality score
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry, this is a pretty bad idea. Instead of making it a skill make it a feat or Alternate Class feature that allows you to replace some rolls with brutality checks, but make it more difficult to get really high bonuses to brutality checks (ie without optimization it should be +2 or +4 at most). With optimization though (like spending all your feats on it and taking alternate class features) you could set it up so that it not only grants a really high bonus but can replace things other than skill checks.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Make it ain alternate class feature and skill check, perhaps? BUT up the DC's by minimum 5 for EVERY check you do with it, cannot apply to crafting skills, and restrict max ranks in it to equal to class level instead of character level+3.
    Sir Ouranos Helaine, The Silver Wing, Paladin of Bahamut
    By Blood And Honor, We Serve.