New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default 8th Level Battlefield Controller

in my last session, I came within a hair of death, at which point I considered the fact that it would be wise to have a back-up plan, should he die and I need to reroll another character, i.e. Resurrection isn't really an option

problem being, other than role, I don't really know what I want to do with the next character...

We have a wizard in party that handles buffs and general "what Will save?" types of things, and I don't really want a caster type just yet anyway. We have a fighter that runs into things screaming "there's killing to be done!" and basically ruins the element of surprise. We have the ranger that just BLASTS things with arrows of BOOM and is our super tracker with a wolf for a pet and we've got a...Elf...that does...we're not really sure what the hell he is...Rogue/Cleric/Sorcerer...thing...with stupid high Cha that convinces things to not kill us. Without overstepping any of them, I'd like to find a character that can tear though enemy ranks like butter, giving the allies in the back a nice buffer and lack of a need to fear coming into melee, but can also stand toe to toe with a powerful general or creature.

I'm not really looking for a cheesey Chain Fighter type, although that is rediculously OP, but something that my GM won't go, "that's...that's just terribly wrong...A tarrasque falls on you...reroll...again..."

So any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate, especially since this is just a backup character, although it could also be used in a different game I'm thinking of joining.

Pretty much all WotC books are allowed, no Homebrew and I can't really take things from the Dragon Mags.

If you have any questions, just ask, like if there's something I should have mentioned that I didn't or something.

Thnx in advance.
    The Super Special Awesome Yiuel made my very manly Avatar
    The Great Steam Golem, Blitzcrank!

He really has a heart of gold...encased in a framework of iron...in a carapace of steel.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 8th Level Battlefield Controller

Wanting BC and asking for neither casters nor chain-users pretty much kills the standard fare. =/

Would a Psychic Warrior using Expansion fit your bill? At level 8, you can get huge.
    An AoO/Stormguard Warrior Warblade?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    Wanting BC and asking for neither casters nor chain-users pretty much kills the standard fare. =/

Would a Psychic Warrior using Expansion fit your bill? At level 8, you can get huge.
    An AoO/Stormguard Warrior Warblade?
    lol...yeah, but that's kinda the point really, unique is ALWAYS better than cookiecutter characters

we're also not exactly allowed Psions, or rather really limited with them, pretty much I'd have to take another class and then take feats to get Psionic powers, rather than be a pure Psion, sucks, but I would have already done it if I could have

I actually really like Tome of Battle AND Warblades, Swordsages and Crusaders are about as close as I'd get to having a Melee Magic User, but I don't have a lot of experience with them other than what I've read, so I've been hesitant about making one, otherwise I'd probably already have made an Unarmed Swordsage with the Monk Variant

sorry if I'm being kinda picky, I'm just looking for something...unusual...for lack of a better term
    Last edited by Rasman; 2010-01-18 at 04:44 AM.

He really has a heart of gold...encased in a framework of iron...in a carapace of steel.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Water Orc, Dragonborn of Bahamut (Heart aspect), Mineral Warrior, preferably having bought off the +1 LA so you'll be down by 3,000 XP with a +0 LA. That will get Str +6, Dex -2, Con +6, Int -4, Wis -4, Cha -4, 30 ft. land speed, 30 ft. swim speed, all the Dragonborn traits, and all the Mineral Warrior traits.

Go Crusader 20 with Entangling Exhalation and maybe Recover Breath and use your breath attack as often as possible to keep as many opponents entangled as you can. On the rounds in between breaths use maneuvers or just full attack, try to get a good mix of cure-type strikes, counters, and damage strikes. I'd go sword and board for the shield counters, take Shield Specialization and Shield Ward, Stone Power, and maybe even Combat Focus, Combat Stability, and Combat Vigor. You'll probably want to take two flaws just to get enough feats. This character is a tank first and foremost, who debuffs opponents with his breath attack to hopefully keep them from running past to get at the softer characters.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Water Orc, Dragonborn of Bahamut (Heart aspect), Mineral Warrior, preferably having bought off the +1 LA so you'll be down by 3,000 XP with a +0 LA. That will get Str +6, Dex -2, Con +6, Int -4, Wis -4, Cha -4, 30 ft. land speed, 30 ft. swim speed, all the Dragonborn traits, and all the Mineral Warrior traits.

Go Crusader 20 with Entangling Exhalation and maybe Recover Breath and use your breath attack as often as possible to keep as many opponents entangled as you can. On the rounds in between breaths use maneuvers or just full attack, try to get a good mix of cure-type strikes, counters, and damage strikes. I'd go sword and board for the shield counters, take Shield Specialization and Shield Ward, Stone Power, and maybe even Combat Focus, Combat Stability, and Combat Vigor. You'll probably want to take two flaws just to get enough feats. This character is a tank first and foremost, who debuffs opponents with his breath attack to hopefully keep them from running past to get at the softer characters.
    I hear a lot from munchkins about Water Orcs, but I'm not quite sure my GM would let me even have a regular Orc, so that part at least is out. I'd probably have to stick to the typical Human, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Gnome trope.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Tripping Thrower (very different from a chain build)

race: strongheart halfling
    alignment: any

STATS (32 pts buy)
    STR 10 (can't be negative to qualify for vital aim)
    DEX 20 (you might want this lower to pump CON)
    CON14
    INT 14 (I prefer a minimum of intelligence to play with, and some skills are useful, besides you get hide and move silently as a targetteer)
    WIS 8 dump
    CHA 8 dump

Targetteer lets you take 2 exotic ranged weapon proficiency

1rst should be Boomerang,talenta (1d4 piercing/bludgeoning weapon, 30ft, comes back when it misses with access to special feats to ricochet)
    2nd I recommend the light repeating crossbow, comes in handy when you want to shoot from farther ( and you can always take the crossbow sniper feat to have reliable damage against crit immune creatures)

1 Targetteer vital aim, point blank shot, precise shot
    2 Targetteer weapon focus Talenta Boomerang
    3 Targetteer rapid shot
    4 Targetteer boomerang ricochet
    5 Targetteer
    6 Master Thrower Trip Shot, Combat reflexes , bonus feat:Quick Draw
    7 Master Thrower bonus feat: evasion
    8 Targetteer ranged threat

so basically you only use your DEX for attack and damage (full bonus unless crit immune), you threaten everything within 30ft , you trip them using your DEX bonus +4 and you can do ricochets+rapid shots for crowd control

all you need is lots of boomerangs

btw Targetteer is a fighter variant, further levels in master thrower lets you get deadeye shot trick (increased multiplier on crits) and improved critical + another trick that lets you do a ranged touch attack to hit (for those really high ACs)
    Last edited by Soranar; 2010-01-18 at 06:30 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rasman View Post
    I hear a lot from munchkins about Water Orcs, but I'm not quite sure my GM would let me even have a regular Orc, so that part at least is out. I'd probably have to stick to the typical Human, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Gnome trope.
    Water Halfling would also work fairly well. You mostly want to use a race of water for a dragonborn because you'll get to keep the swim speed, plus the Con bonus is nice for a tanky char and breath weapon DCs. I'd probably go with a Gnome or maybe a Wild Elf if you're stuck with the more standard races, but it should still work out just fine.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Soranar View Post
    Tripping Thrower (very different from a chain build)

race: strongheart halfling
    alignment: any

STATS (32 pts buy)
    STR 10 (can't be negative to qualify for vital aim)
    DEX 20 (you might want this lower to pump CON)
    CON14
    INT 14 (I prefer a minimum of intelligence to play with, and some skills are useful, besides you get hide and move silently as a targetteer)
    WIS 8 dump
    CHA 8 dump

Targetteer lets you take 2 exotic ranged weapon proficiency

1rst should be Boomerang,talenta (1d4 piercing/bludgeoning weapon, 30ft, comes back when it misses with access to special feats to ricochet)
    2nd I recommend the light repeating crossbow, comes in handy when you want to shoot from farther ( and you can always take the crossbow sniper feat to have reliable damage against crit immune creatures)

1 Targetteer vital aim, point blank shot, precise shot
    2 Targetteer weapon focus Talenta Boomerang
    3 Targetteer rapid shot
    4 Targetteer boomerang ricochet
    5 Targetteer
    6 Master Thrower Trip Shot, Combat reflexes , bonus feat:Quick Draw
    7 Master Thrower bonus feat: evasion
    8 Targetteer ranged threat

so basically you only use your DEX for attack and damage (full bonus unless crit immune), you threaten everything within 30ft , you trip them using your DEX bonus +4 and you can do ricochets+rapid shots for crowd control

all you need is lots of boomerangs
    or an awesome Boomerang of Returning, beats having LOTS of boomerangs...that's...actually kinda awesome...what exact books do I pull this out of...I know I've seen master thrower, but what is the Targetter from?

nvm...see your edit XD

Vorpal Boomerang of Returning...that is all XD

Could probably do this with Glots from Frostburn as well...that would be sick actually...
    Last edited by Rasman; 2010-01-18 at 06:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

DruidGuy

Hi

I love playing spellcasters - pity they're not allowed. Beguiler seems perfect for the role. You've got spells to control battlefield, Haste, Unsettling Enchantment feat to drop opponents' AC & attacks for one round, etc.

And they're an Int based spellcaster/skill monkey with UMD.

Of coursde there's also the Warlock, who's not actually a spellcaster, but similar. Mix with Beguiler for Mystic Theurge if you like. (I did)! Only thing is you'd probably outshine the rogue for search, traps, skills, etc........ (And STILL have spells/SLA's).

Cheers
    Paul H

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragonfire Adept + Entangling Exhalation.

Other spices to add include Mongrelfolk or Warforged, Dragonborn (Heart lets you qualify for metabreath feats, wings gives you wings), and UMD.

As a bonus, you can have the largest ACP and smallest to-hit in the party and not care. Nonproficient tower shield and full plate use can be... amusing. Just get a swim speed and/or don't breathe.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

A Warlock can get Chilling Tentacles at 11... like Evard's Black Tentacles, only... moreso. At will. Come on, think of all the fun he'd have at Anime conventions...

To the previous Boomerang Chucker build, I propose Bloodstorm Blade be built in there somewhere to give you auto-returning weapons. Plus, thrown weapons count as melee attacks, so you could easily trip with them without needing special cheese.

I just had a mental image of someone throwing a Halaberd, spinning as it flies to the opponent, tripping him, then flying back to the wielder. Now that is ten kind of Badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Hi

I love playing spellcasters - pity they're not allowed. Beguiler seems perfect for the role. You've got spells to control battlefield, Haste, Unsettling Enchantment feat to drop opponents' AC & attacks for one round, etc.

And they're an Int based spellcaster/skill monkey with UMD.

Of coursde there's also the Warlock, who's not actually a spellcaster, but similar. Mix with Beguiler for Mystic Theurge if you like. (I did)! Only thing is you'd probably outshine the rogue for search, traps, skills, etc........ (And STILL have spells/SLA's).

Cheers
    Paul H
    it's not really that they're not allowed, but i just want it to be simple and I've always been more of a "I'm in your face, beating your head against a rock" type + as I mentioned, my GM thinks if you're a caster that you have to blow **** up

although, if I were to make an exception, it would have to be an Illusionist/Conjurer that PrCed into Malconvoker

I've also been toying with the idea of a Shield Fighter with the Captain America feat to throw shields, talk about walking fortress...
    Last edited by Rasman; 2010-01-18 at 09:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    Dragonfire Adept + Entangling Exhalation.
    This. Best crowd controller without going into spellcasting.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, Dragonfire Adept is something you should at least look at, if the reason you didn't want a caster was the complicated bookkeeping rather than the flavor. Dragonfire Adept is an effective caster made simple. With a specialty in battlefield control.

But, I can't discourage you from Warblade either. Warblades are fantastic at "going through opponents like butter." If you want effective battlefield control, you have to tone back their offensive power a little to make sure you can get AoO feats, a reach weapon, and Thicket of Blades.

Give me more direction and I might even come up with a Warblade build for you. How much battlefield control? What race? How much are you opposed to the spiked chain and similar weapons? What level is the character?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'll ++ the suggestion for DFA, they're one of my favorite classes.

16. - Top - End - #16

what book exactly is the Dragonfire Adept in?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Dragon Magic

18. - Top - End - #18

The Book of the Interwebz.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post

I totally didn't know that.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

This thread got me to look up Entangling Exhalation; if I'm reading it correctly, a first level DFA who takes this feat actually increases his breath weapon damage (from 1d6 to at least 1d6+(1d6/2)) on top of entangling folks. Am I reading it wrong?
    Last edited by GoodbyeSoberDay; 2010-01-19 at 02:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
    This thread got me to look up Entangling Exhalation; if I'm reading it correctly, a first level DFA who takes this feat actually increases his breath weapon damage (from 1d6 to at least 1d6+(1d6/2)) on top of entangling folks. Am I reading it wrong?
    This is correct, you'll end up doing less damage immediately but the extra 1d6 on each of the following rounds more than makes up for it.

Note that a Dragonfire Adept who picks all day buffs for his invocations, particularly Endure Exposure to be used on his allies, will never have to worry about arcane spell failure for armor. He also never has to make an attack roll, so nonproficiency is also irrelevant. A Dragonfire Adept can go around in battle plate or mountain plate (RoS) with a tower shield and as long as he's strong enough to carry it and doesn't mind the reduced movement there are no downsides despite nonproficiency. Your only important stat is Constitution, for both HP and breath DCs, so it ends up being one of the toughest tanks in the game as well as one of the best battlefield controllers.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    This is correct, you'll end up doing less damage immediately but the extra 1d6 on each of the following rounds more than makes up for it.

Note that a Dragonfire Adept who picks all day buffs for his invocations, particularly Endure Exposure to be used on his allies, will never have to worry about arcane spell failure for armor. He also never has to make an attack roll, so nonproficiency is also irrelevant. A Dragonfire Adept can go around in battle plate or mountain plate (RoS) with a tower shield and as long as he's strong enough to carry it and doesn't mind the reduced movement there are no downsides despite nonproficiency. Your only important stat is Constitution, for both HP and breath DCs, so it ends up being one of the toughest tanks in the game as well as one of the best battlefield controllers.
    so...basically...he turns into a walking tank that breathes fire but not really anything else?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

so...basically...he turns into a walking tank that breathes fire but not really anything else?
    It all depends on what you choose for your invocations. Note that "just breathing fire" is somewhat of a misnomer as you do get breath effects as you level up that vary up your breath attack.
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2010-01-19 at 10:39 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    It all depends on what you choose for your invocations. Note that "just breathing fire" is somewhat of a misnomer as you do get breath effects as you level up that vary up your breath attack.
    Yeah, I understand that he gets things like Acid Breath and he can control the shape of his breath and such, but, other than that, he kinda seems like a One Trick Pony. A badass One Trick Pony, but one none the less.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, I understand that he gets things like Acid Breath and he can control the shape of his breath and such, but, other than that, he kinda seems like a One Trick Pony. A badass One Trick Pony, but one none the less.
    As much a one-trick pony as a Fighter. Well, even less since he at least can vary things on his Breath Weapon and has Invocations.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Well... compared to a fullcaster, sure.

At 8th level, you'll have a 4D6 breath weapon at will, with two different breath effects for more situational attacks. You'll also have 4 invocations to play with, 2 least, 2 lesser, including the very useful voracious dispelling and draconic flight.

So eh, if you think you're a one-trick pony, you're kind of shoehorning yourself into a niche without really looking at the options.
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2010-01-19 at 05:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

My favorite (if rather simple) DFA build, at Level 20, can:
    • Breathe clinging (entangling) fire
    • Breathe (entangling) lightning
    • Breathe (entangling) sonic
    • Breathe (entangling) holy disintegration
    • Breathe slow gas
    • "Breathe" fear
    • Radiate more fear
    • Summon clouds of cold Solid Fog
    • Make semi-decent melee attacks (though it's a waste of an action, except for Attacks of Opportunity)
    • Take a hit: she has a lot of HP and good saves
    • Buff her party: environmental endurance, +4 Spot/Listen/Initiative
    • Fly
    • Function underwater
    • Know a whole lot of stuff, especially related to magic or identifying items
    • Use great social skills
    • UMD a library of useful wands

I don't think of her as a one-trick pony.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2010-01-19 at 05:07 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Well... compared to a fullcaster, sure.

At 8th level, you'll have a 4D6 breath weapon at will, with two different breath effects for more situational attacks. You'll also have 4 invocations to play with, 2 least, 2 lesser, including the very useful voracious dispelling and draconic flight.

So eh, if you think you're a one-trick pony, you're kind of shoehorning yourself into a niche without really looking at the options.
    I have a problem with Tunnelvisioning myself with classes, my Monk that I'm playing right now is probably a lot more useful than I think he is. I just don't really get what all the classes are capable of I suppose...tactics aren't exactly my party's strong suit, the only person that actually plans anything is the Wizard, but that's because he's 7 Fold Veil and Contingency is sort of their thing.

I should probably be looking to learn "how to fight effectively" rather than asking "help me build a cool class"

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    My favorite (if rather simple) DFA build, at Level 20, can:
    • Breathe clinging (entangling) fire
    • Breathe (entangling) lightning
    • Breathe (entangling) sonic
    • Breathe (entangling) holy disintegration
    • Breathe slow gas
    • "Breathe" fear
    • Radiate more fear
    • Summon clouds of cold Solid Fog
    • Make semi-decent melee attacks (though it's a waste of an action, except for Attacks of Opportunity)
    • Take a hit: she has a lot of HP and good saves
    • Buff her party: environmental endurance, +4 Spot/Listen/Initiative
    • Fly
    • Function underwater
    • Know a whole lot of stuff, especially related to magic or identifying items
    • Use great social skills
    • UMD a library of useful wands

I don't think of her as a one-trick pony.
    well, I probably wasn't very clear as to what I meant, but in retrospect, specialization is almost always better than generalization...btw...where exactly is that Entangling Feat?

29. - Top - End - #29

btw...where exactly is that Entangling Feat?
    Races of the Dragon.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Races of the dragon, or the interwebz

Edit: stupid ninjas, at least I have the link....
    Last edited by Charlie Kemek; 2010-01-19 at 07:12 PM.