Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default General Anime Discussion: The 08th GAD Team

Last time, on All My Anime...
    Lord of Rapture: "Fools, you haven't seen the last of me! All will be consumed by Chaos!"

Oslecamo: "I'll make the future myself. If I can get enough credits that is."

Tengu: "Nerdo, I think I'm pregnant. And Fri's the father!"

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: The 08th GAD Team

Previous threads, for reference:
    General Anime Discussion (née The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
    General Anime Discussion A's
    General Anime Discussion StrikerS
    ∀ General Anime Discussion
    G General Anime Discussion - Typing FINGER!
    Anime/General Discussion: Paradox Thread
    Anime 2.0: You Can (Generally) Discuss

So, for a topic to start us off: Has anyone seen the first Eden of the East movie? Does it look like the second will give a satisfying conclusion?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    So, for a topic to start us off: Has anyone seen the first Eden of the East movie? Does it look like the second will give a satisfying conclusion?
    Was anybody here in Japan for the last couple months to see the theatrical release in theaters? Because as far as I can tell, unlike the last Japanese theatrical release I cared about (Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0), the Eden of the East movie isn't floating around the internet anywhere.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I haven't even seen the series yet. I've got it floating around on a hard drive or DVD waiting to be watched, but I just can't be bothered since I found the first episode so undewhelming.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

You know, this may be the first time I agree with you, Dispozition.
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

What exactly is so underwhelming? Even in the first few episodes, where EotE resembles Bourne: The Anime instead of going into its own distinct direction, it still is a great series with just the right balance between humor, drama and suspense, and lots of attention to detail. And it only gets better later.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Eden of the East is one of a few series that I thought "I'll watch that the next chance I get", and to this day still haven't watched.

I always keep telling myself that I'll watch them once I truly become bored, which apparently has yet to happen.
    Oz Bezarius avatar by Kwarkpudding.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Rapture View Post
    You know, this may be the first time I agree with you, Dispozition.
    Considering I don't post much in here, that's not a surprise. I've only really commented on about three topics in the last 4 or so threads :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    What exactly is so underwhelming? Even in the first few episodes, where EotE resembles Bourne: The Anime instead of going into its own distinct direction, it still is a great series with just the right balance between humor, drama and suspense, and lots of attention to detail. And it only gets better later.
    I haven't seen any of the Bourne movies either. But really, it just didn't seem entertaining. I was ever so slightly intrigued by the main guys predicament, but then I lost interest as he seemingly had everything under control and somehow gets a girl to love him in the process...It just seemed...Boring. I just can't describe how.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

9. - Top - End - #9

...a guy finds himself naked in front of the White House holding a gun, with no memory. And then when he finds his other worldly possessions are more weapons, fake passports, and ten billion yen, this is boring because he's "got everything under control"? I don't get that at all. If you say you were intrigued to start with, how could the situation have developed so as to hold your interest?

10. - Top - End - #10

You forgot the one thing he has that sets him apart from Jason Bourne and really drives the series, his Noblesse Oblige cell phone.

I mean, between the whole of idea of the phones, + the cute character designs and pretty backgrounds was what hooked me. And what kept me going was the fact that it was only 11 episodes, I had some free time, and I had all of the episodes available. Anybody in a similar situation should just watch it, I mean if you marathon it, it still takes less time to watch the entire series than the extended edition of Return of the King.

Plus the series has good suspense, humor, character interaction and all that jazz. The only thing it doesn't have right now is closure, which the movies should address . But it seems that despite my or Kamikasei's hopes, nobody else here has seen the first movie either . . .
    Last edited by mallorean_thug; 2010-01-18 at 08:47 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

...a guy finds himself naked in front of the White House holding a gun, with no memory. And then when he finds his other worldly possessions are more weapons, fake passports, and ten billion yen, this is boring because he's "got everything under control"? I don't get that at all. If you say you were intrigued to start with, how could the situation have developed so as to hold your interest?
    The part where it went from being "OOOOHSSSHIIIIT WHO AM I WHAT AM I DOING" to "Oh hey, let's go to Japan, with this chick...Awesome!". I don't know what it could have done to hold my interest...I probably do just need to watch it again since my tastes have changed quite a bit in the last half year...So...Pffffffff, I dunno. I just don't remember it making me want to watch the next episode.

@mallorean_thug: I'd still prefer watching the extended edition of LotR...

EDIT: I think another reason I didn't really like it is because it's not really that funny...To me at least. Nor was it very dramatic...I also liked the concept of the phone, until it was used, then I hated it...So, pretty much I thought it looked cool and should never be used.
    Last edited by Dispozition; 2010-01-18 at 08:50 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"Awesome"? The first episode ends on a much less cheery note than that.

Also, when was the last time you could accurately judge a whole series based on the first episode?

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Well, the main character's a laid-back guy. It is possible to explore a scenario like that without needing everyone running around in a panic or talking like Jack Bauer with a bomb ticking somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    I also liked the concept of the phone, until it was used, then I hated it...
    Could you expand? I'm curious.

On theatrical releases: sadly, between Rebuild 2.0 (still no decent subs!), EotE, Nanoha and Unlimited Blade Works, it seems like most of the stuff actually coming out over the last/next year that interests me will have any watchable English version indefinitely delayed.

Also, when was the last time you could accurately judge a whole series based on the first episode?
    I found The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya to be well and accurately encapsulated by its first episode. This is a lie.
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2010-01-18 at 08:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

On theatrical releases: sadly, between Rebuild 2.0 (still no decent subs!), EotE, Nanoha and Unlimited Blade Works, it seems like most of the stuff actually coming out over the last/next year that interests me will have any watchable English version indefinitely delayed.
    When I watched Rebuild 2.0, I was using a fansub made a bunch of people on the Evageeks forums, linked on this page of the thread, and since then I think I've seen a couple .srt files floating around based off the official subs from some of the international viewings, though I can't remember the links for any off the top of my head. Aren't those decent enough when you still don't have good video quality to work with?

As far as shows that can be accurately judged on a first episode basis . . . yeah I'm coming up blank too. Except for perhaps Haruhi-chan. And I'm completely serious. Though only if you already have the context of the original show.

That doesn't stop me from doing so, though. After a friend forced me to watch the first episode of Lucky Star, which I'm aware is non indicative, I decided to never watch any further. And I think I'm a happier person for it.
    Last edited by mallorean_thug; 2010-01-18 at 09:28 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Gimme a second.

I found The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya to be well and accurately encapsulated by its first episode.
    BEEP.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    Aren't those decent enough when you still don't have good video quality to work with?
    Well, in the case of Rebuild it's the lack of good quality video that's the real problem, I didn't mean to disparage the groups willing to try to sub what they had to work with.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, so the Visual Novel team is starting to finalize details on the characters.

Folks, if you haven't submitted a blurb on the general appearance and personality of your character, please do so immediately. If you do not, we're going to assign them appearances ourselves and take liberties with them as necessary. For Kasanip's sake, I, at least, will be reluctant to accommodate any major changes to character designs once we're finished, so if you want to request any changes, please do so now.

List of characters without any information on appearances:

Toksus Uwoh (Poison_Fish)
    Mei Lia Drascin (Drascin)
    Kyube Tempo (Cubey)
    Lurika Plei (LurkerinthePlayground)
    Dominic L. Rapture (Lord of Rapture)
    Han Bodega (Hanzo66)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Toksus Uwoh (Poison_Fish)
    Mei Lia Drascin (Drascin)
    Kyube Tempo (Cubey)
    Lurika Plei (LurkerinthePlayground)
    Dominic L. Rapture (Lord of Rapture)
    Han Bodega (Hanzo66)
    ...crap, I was convinced for some reason that you guys had simply scrapped or retooled my character when I stopped appearing due to connection issues for like two months, and so I never thought of going back into the VN thread.

...I have a lot of reading to do to catch up, don't I?
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-01-18 at 12:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    ...crap, I was convinced for some reason that you guys had simply scrapped or retooled my character when I stopped appearing due to connection issues for like two months, and so I never thought of going back into the VN thread.
    What? No! You're a frequenter of the Anime thread--your character WILL appear in the VN come hell or high water.

...I have a lot of reading to do to catch up, don't I?

Not really. Just remember what sort of character Mei Lia is and assign a few physical characteristics to her. That's it!

20. - Top - End - #20

I find I have around 60-70% accuracy with that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    I haven't seen any of the Bourne movies either. But really, it just didn't seem entertaining. I was ever so slightly intrigued by the main guys predicament, but then I lost interest as he seemingly had everything under control and somehow gets a girl to love him in the process...It just seemed...Boring. I just can't describe how.
    I would try the books if you didn't like the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    What? No! You're a frequenter of the Anime thread--your character WILL appear in the VN come hell or high water.
    Does this mean Mallorean Thug and I show up in the last 20 minutes ?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Just as a general anime question (ish), does anyone think there will be a second three-part arc to MS Igloo 2?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh right, my character. I think I was something typical like Big Sis plus bottle fairy, but I can't entirely remember. Some reading over the course of the next few days should help.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"Awesome"? The first episode ends on a much less cheery note than that.

I'm not basing the whole serieson the first episode, I'm just saying that the first episode didn't make me want to watch more. It may well become the best series ever from the second episode on, but the first episode gives me no indication of that.

Well, the main character's a laid-back guy. It is possible to explore a scenario like that without needing everyone running around in a panic or talking like Jack Bauer with a bomb ticking somewhere.
    I haven't seen 24 either. I honestly find it pretty unrealistic for a person to that laid back in that situation. Yes, I know, anime blah blah not real blah blah, bur really. The rest of the elements look like they're trying to be pretty realistic.

Could you expand? I'm curious.
    I dunno...It looks awesome, but then it seems that the whole plot is based around the phone. Call me weird but that's just stupid. I also really don't like the whole brown note thing they've got going on with brainwashing.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Brainwashing? That's some massive misinterpretation of what has really happened.

I'd say you should watch it. I made the "first episode was meh, let's not bother watching further" mistake once and I'm not going to do it again. The show in question was Gunbuster, if you're curious, and by episode I mean half of an episode. I watched it all only much later, when I learned how awesome it is in SRW @3.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Brainwashing? That's some massive misinterpretation of what has really happened.

I'd say you should watch it. I made the "first episode was meh, let's not bother watching further" mistake once and I'm not going to do it again. The show in question was Gunbuster, if you're curious, and by episode I mean half of an episode. I watched it all only much later, when I learned how awesome it is in SRW @3.
    I'm sure it is, that's just the interpretation I got when I saw it.

I will eventually watch it, it's just low on my list due to me disliking the first episode. Plus I already have about 5 series I'm halfway through and need to finish first.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

In honor of 40K week:

Spoiler
    Show
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I love this thread title.

Just thought I'd mention. It's a pretty good one. Clever, but not too far out of left field that normal people* (well, normal for this forum) have no idea what the joke is.

*I consider myself "normal" on this forum, let me know if that isn't the case.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    I love this thread title.

Just thought I'd mention. It's a pretty good one. Clever, but not too far out of left field that normal people* (well, normal for this forum) have no idea what the joke is.

*I consider myself "normal" on this forum, let me know if that isn't the case.
    Normal people watch Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-01-19 at 05:03 PM.