New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Cleric Domains w/out Levels in Cleric?

Is it possible to have access to a domain without ever actually being a cleric?

There is an epic feat "Bonus Domain" whose requirements do not include being a cleric. Just a high WIS score and ability to cast 9th level divine spells I believe. Can I take this if I'm say, a Druid?

How would this work? I gain the domain power, that's easy enough, but what if it calls for class levels? What do I pick as the class level for it? Would I have to pick among classes if I have more than one that gives me 9th level divine spells?

And for the bonus spell slots. Do I get them? If I don't have them, then I cannot cast those spells, but if I do have them, I just paid a feat for no less than 9 extra spell slots, as well as some miscellaneous ability. Clearly, this should not occur.

My question stands. Is it possible, and more to the point, is it reasonable for such a thing to exist? Also, is it possible in any way at lower levels? I know that a few prestige classes from Complete Divine grant bonus domains without making you have to be a cleric (rather difficult though).

Anyway, any response at all is welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cleric Domains w/out Levels in Cleric?

Arcane Disiple from complete arcane puts the spells of a single domain on your class list

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

But I want the domain power mostly, not just access to the spells in question. The build specifically is a gestalt Druid/Wizard, with various prestige classes mixed in. It'd be overkill if I took a domain to learn a few extra spells. I want the domain power.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Check Complete Divine, p 20. You can memorize a domain spell in your regular druid spell slots, but not more than one per spell level. You also get the granted power.

Alternately, if your wizard side qualifies to get a domain, you can scribe spells from that domain into your spell book, even from divine scrolls. There has to be a way to use this.

Edit: RAW this only applies to domains you get from PrC's, not feats, so YMMV.
    Last edited by Glimbur; 2010-01-18 at 09:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post
    Arcane Disiple from complete arcane puts the spells of a single domain on your class list
    from complete divine

EDIT: ninja'd
    Last edited by nhbdy; 2010-01-18 at 09:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arctura42 View Post
    Is it possible to have access to a domain without ever actually being a cleric?
    Yes.

There are several PrCs that add specific domains. Divine Oracle, for example. And there's a 9-level PrC in Faiths of Eberron, Sovereign Speaker, that gets a bonus domain every level.

There's a magic item in MIC/DMGII called Domain Draught that gives you access to a Cleric domain for 1 day.

But what you really want is the Planar Touchstone feat (Planar Handbook). Requires 250 GP item and 8 ranks of Knowledge: The Planes. Find or link your planar touchstone to the Catalogues of Enlightenment. Select a domain, and gain the domain power (but not the domain spells). The Catalogues of Enlightenment do not require you to worship a particular deity, and even if you do worship one in particular, you don't have to select a domain in their portfolio. Among other things, this allows you to pick up the War domain (and the Martial/Exotic proficiency + Weapon Focus) even for non-War deities. You can also pick up Augment Summoning as a bonus feat this way without taking Spell Focus: Conjuration (Cult of the Dragon Below grants this).

There is an epic feat "Bonus Domain" whose requirements do not include being a cleric. Just a high WIS score and ability to cast 9th level divine spells I believe. Can I take this if I'm say, a Druid?
    Probably, although a venerable dragonwrought kobold might help.

My question stands. Is it possible, and more to the point, is it reasonable for such a thing to exist? Also, is it possible in any way at lower levels? I know that a few prestige classes from Complete Divine grant bonus domains without making you have to be a cleric (rather difficult though).
    Possible, yes. Although if you're using a Planar Touchstone, no, you don't get the domain spells or extra spell slots. If your Wizard size can't provide the ranks in Knowledge: the Planes, there are Planar Substitution Levels in the Planar Handbook that can give you access to Knowledge: the Planes at certain levels. Or just take the Knowledge Devotion if need be.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

You would have to check with your DM, but the Pathfinder Druid will allow you to trade out your animal companion for a single domain from a pre-set list.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you Darrin - this is not only a very obscure work around, but also simultaneously provides me with new insight into the personality my character may have by the time he accomplishes such a feat. Had I only known of the Catalogues of Enlightenment before! Thank you, this is most helpful!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Variant: they can get domains instead of specializing

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Variant: they can get domains instead of specializing
    No, they can't. They can specialize in a themed set of spells, some of which share names with clerical domains. The variant doesn't grant domain powers or anything that relies on them, such as "access to Y domain" for qualifying for prestige classes.