New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] Chaining a Cantrip

I have an idea of casting Chained Launch Bolt to fire multiple crossbow bolts which just happen to also be Spell-Storing bolts, with Scorching Ray.
    I imagine setting up my campsite with conveniently placed hordes of bolts to turn enemies into smoldering pin-cushions.
    So, question one: Is it possible put metamagics on 0-level spells? I think so, but gotta ask first.
    Question two: How would, if at all, Chain Spell react to Launch Bolt? The feat only references spells that target creatures and such things. But, Launch Bolt is, indeed, a targeted spell, the target being a bolt within medium-range.
    Question three: If I were multiclassing Sorceror-or-Wizard and Rogue, is there anyway I could slap Sneak Attack Damage onto all these beautiful attacks? I believe if I launched them all from my square and the opponent was unaware of my presence, I could, but... if the opponent was unaware the bolts' presence in the bushes, would they be flat-footed to the non-existant archer firing upon them?
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Chaining a Cantrip

1. Yes, you can meta cantrips.
    2. I believe it would chain to a lot of nearby valid targets.
    3. Uh... ask your DM this one.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3

3: If it requires an attack roll, you can Sneak Attack with Launch Bolt.

Want a little tip? You can fire Crossbow Bolts larger than your own body. grab a Gargantuan Bolt or three, and watch the DM cringe as you fling tress with a Cantrip.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This actually sounds like a fun idea. How does this "chaining" thing work though? I tried looking up the proper metamagic but no luck.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Want a little tip? You can fire Crossbow Bolts larger than your own body. grab a Gargantuan Bolt or three, and watch the DM cringe as you fling tress with a Cantrip.
    I remember a lot of threads suggesting this, but, in my mind's heart, I know that there comes a size when a "bolt" ceases to be a "bolt".

Besides, increasing the size of a single die is not worth the cost of constructing tree-size masterwork +1 Spell-Storing bolts, and hiring the caravans to lug them around.

Quote Originally Posted by Protecar View Post
    This actually sounds like a fun idea. How does this "chaining" thing work though? I tried looking up the proper metamagic but no luck.
    Chaining is in Complete Arcane. It lets you have your targeted spells effect secondary and tertiary targets, but you cast it from a spell slot three levels higher.

I'm considering taking Arcane Thesis on Launch Bolt. I know... silly idea, but I think I'd be able to chain more for less spell slots.
    Last edited by Burley; 2010-01-19 at 10:52 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

3: If it requires an attack roll, you can Sneak Attack with Launch Bolt.

On this note, as it was just recently mentioned, if you have a Spell Component Pouch, you can grab up to...Huge, I think? Just randomly from it. Since they're the biggest ones that cost less than 1GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    I remember a lot of threads suggesting this, but, in my mind's heart, I know that there comes a size when a "bolt" ceases to be a "bolt".

Besides, increasing the size of a single die is not worth the cost of constructing tree-size masterwork +1 Spell-Storing bolts, and hiring the caravans to lug them around.
    Bag of Holding Mk. IV, anyone?
    Last edited by Deth Muncher; 2010-01-19 at 10:51 AM.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burley
    Colossal creatures beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Burley
    Shrink Item.

Quote Originally Posted by Protecar
    Chain Spell.
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Want a little tip? You can fire Crossbow Bolts larger than your own body...

Nnnnope. The spell calls for a 1sp crossbow bolt, actually. Colossal+++ bolts aren't 1sp.
    Internet's out. Updates ETA Saturday.

"Nothing says love like being hugged to death by a Water Orc."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    On an unrelated note, Tanaric is awesome. End of story.

Avatar by CrimsonAngel. My avatar appears to have gone AWOL in my absence. Investigations are pending.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Tanaric View Post
    Nnnnope. The spell calls for a 1sp crossbow bolt, actually. Colossal+++ bolts aren't 1sp.
    Does it specifically say "worth 1sp" in the spell? If not, then there's no problem.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I don't think this works

The reason is chain spell says the spell arcs

Quote Originally Posted by Chain spell
    Any spell that specifies a single target and has a range greater than touch can be chained so as to affect that primary target normally, then arc to a number of secondary targets equal to your caster level (maximum 20).
    So that would sound to me like the bolt it self would arc to other targets which would be impossible seeing as bolts are destroyed on impact.

How ever you could,
    Quicken Twin spell
    twin spell, repeat spell it.

to get off 4 arrows this round then do it again next round for an aditional 8 arrows..

Could be a fun strategy... Especialy with metamagic reducers. mabye even smite spell.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Does it specifically say "worth 1sp" in the spell? If not, then there's no problem.
    Unfortunately.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I still don't see a problem. Just buy a colossal bolt for 1 sp. Use whatever method works best for you.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    So that would sound to me like the bolt it self would arc to other targets which would be impossible seeing as bolts are destroyed on impact.
    The target of the spell is the actual bolt, not the target of the bolt. The spell arcs from bolt to bolt, firing them off.
    In the vein of thought you're using, a Chained Orb of Acid would hit the orc, and then send that orc bouncing into his buddies, instead of sending the Orb bouncing into his buddies.
    The spell affects new targets. It does not make the target affect multiple targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Well, then why would the spell description say that the magical properties of the bolt still apply, when it would be im-freakin-possible to have a magical bolt cost 1sp.
    Last edited by Burley; 2010-01-19 at 11:49 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

The target of the spell is the actual bolt, not the target of the bolt. The spell arcs from bolt to bolt, firing them off.
    In the vein of thought you're using, a Chained Orb of Acid would hit the orc, and then send that orc bouncing into his buddies, instead of sending the Orb bouncing into his buddies.
    The spell affects new targets. It does not make the target affect multiple targets.
    After re reading it i get what your saying... which adds to the awsome sauce any way.

quickened Twinned chained
    and twinded chained repeating....
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

That's a better interpretation of the rules actually. I like the idea of the orc pinballing into his buddies.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spell Storing is listed only on the table of Melee weapon properties, not on the Ranged weapon properties. Therefore, many DMs rule that it's a melee-only thing. (And I support this, because I've seen some nasty-overpowered exploits with Spell Storing Arrows before. Forget Launch Bolt, just a simple Cleric archer ... yikes.)

What's more, Scorching Ray isn't technically a valid spell to put in Spell Storing weapons, as it's not a Targeted spell (it requires an attack roll of its own).
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DementedFellow View Post
    That's a better interpretation of the rules actually. I like the idea of the orc pinballing into his buddies.
    It isn't necessarily a better interpretation, as it is a more humorous interpretation.

So, as I stand now, everything about this idea checks out, except that it it impossible to cast Launch Bolt on a magical bolt.

Edit: ...And, the fact that Scorching Ray isn't techinically a targeted spell. Well, isn't that bloody convenient.
    Last edited by Burley; 2010-01-19 at 12:00 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

You guys are missing it. Even though I can't find my Spell Compendium right now I don't think that 1sp limitation is there. But there are ways around that.

Hire a lumberjack for a day and then offer him a tip if he'll fashion 10 trees into colossal bolts. 10 sp for 10 bolts. He'll already be working for you for the day, however many gp that is. Viola! You have colossal bolts that are 1 sp.

Or you can Intimidate a vendor into lowering his price to 1 sp.

Or you can Fascinate a vendor into lowering his price to 1 sp.

Or you can Suggest a vendor lower his price.

Or you can Mindrape a vendor into lowering his price.

Or you can just simply knock out the vendor, walk out of the door with X number of colossal bolts and leave the same number of sp behind.

19. - Top - End - #19

It isn't necessarily a better interpretation, as it is a more humorous interpretation.

So, as I stand now, everything about this idea checks out, except that it it impossible to cast Launch Bolt on a magical bolt.
    Which makes no sense because the spell says otherwise. I think that (1sp) is just a reminder, compare it to True Rez' wording (or any other spell). It doesn't say "worth 1sp" it says "a Crossbow Bolt (1sp)". It may do so because the PHB lists Crossbow Bolts as costing 1gp for 10.

20. - Top - End - #20

You would have to Reach it then Chain it.

Any spell that specifies a single target and has a range greater than touch can be chained so as to affect that primary target normally, then arc to a number of secondary targets equal to your caster level (maximum 20).
    So in the end, you use a 5th level spell slot to shoot 20 bolts. Without shenanigans, this is 20d6.
    Last edited by FishAreWet; 2010-01-19 at 12:05 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I love the idea, I actually got really excited about all the cool things my npc rogues were gunna do with scrolls of launch bolt and huge sized crossbow bolts.

As for facts.

Unfortunately, it does not work. Chain metamagic only works on spells with a range greater than touch and Launch Bolt has a range of touch.

But I could see a familiar that is hiding in the bushes cast this one off for you if diplomacy goes awry. Maybe some level 1 rogue followers with scrolls behind a silent image spell could make this really nice.

As for opinion.

As for the crossbow bolt size I'm pretty sure the (1sp) is there to indicate the cost for a normal size crossbow bolt for easy reference. If the spell were to say "a crossbow bolt worth 1sp" or "no more than 1 sp" like some spells do, then I would agree.

Being a DM though I would house rule this to the size of the wielder. And I think my current players would understand. It's not like DnD doesn't have worse mistakes it has made. Like Druids.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FishAreWet View Post

So in the end, you use a 5th level spell slot to shoot 20 bolts. Without shenanigans, this is 20d6.
    20d8 if you're medium sized, sir.
    Minstrel Emeritus of the Elan Fan Club
    Elan.
    He's useful!

Join, join, join, join the Elan Fan Club!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FishAreWet View Post

Launch Bolt is not a touch spell. It has a range of Medium.

Edit: The spell originally appears in Magic of Faerun, where it has a range of Medium. I have no idea if that changes when if was moved to the Spell Compendium.
    Last edited by Burley; 2010-01-19 at 01:32 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Edit: The spell originally appears in Magic of Faerun, where it has a range of Medium. I have no idea if that changes when if was moved to the Spell Compendium.
    A remote-controlled ambush! Just apply Silent/Still.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

This is awesome.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DementedFellow View Post
    Hire a lumberjack for a day and then offer him a tip if he'll fashion 10 trees into colossal bolts. 10 sp for 10 bolts. He'll already be working for you for the day, however many gp that is. Viola! You have colossal bolts that are 1 sp... etc
    Obvious breakage of rules of any sort...

Wiz needs a 100gp pearl to cast identify...

Fighter has a pearl but it appraises at only 80gp

"I'll pay you 100gp for that pearl..."

These methods are joked about 'round the table, but I've never met a DM who would allow their interpretation
    Fools are made to suffer, not to be suffered

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Spell Comp gives it a range of touch. So reach+Chain is needed, but this is a cool Idea. Anyone have a quick and dirty list of MM reducers?

Tis found on page 130.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2010-01-19 at 01:51 PM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see... Incantrix 10 reduces metas, but that's Incantrix, so . Easy Metamagic drops the cost of one, as does Practical Metamagic, though only for sorcs. So, perhaps a Dragonblooded Human Sorcerer 6? That gets you Chain, Repeat, and Easy/Practical for one feat. Still, that's a +4 adjustment, which you can't do until level 8.

If you hit up a Metamagic Storm to nick either Chain or Repeat, you could squeeze in another Easy Metamagic, and so get that down to a +3 total adjustment, but that's being kinda nice with the location.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-01-19 at 03:27 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Metaphysical Spellshaper -3 can take another 1 off the metamagic cost too, but then it can never go below a +1 MM cost (but then again you can take stat damage to pay for adding the metamagic, so...)
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

30. - Top - End - #30

MonkGirl

Off a movie called gamers (no major motion picture or anything) a rogue sneak attacks with a ballista which uses bolts sooo... :D
    I have to give Paizo credit...

They took an established work and said they fixed it but didn't actually fix it and yet still made money off from it.

How can you beat that?