New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default What happens when a character is a mount for another character?

Searching doesn't seem to be finding anything, but has there been any rules vetted on what happens when one player is mounted on another character? Such as a wizard polymorphs into a warhorse and then the fighter mounts the polymorphed wizard and charges into battle.

Beyond that being spectacularly sub-optimal, how do all of the mounted rules function when the mount is a character?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: What happens when a character is a mount for another character?

Awesomely! You get the AC of Mounted Combat, for one. Also, you get a lot of OOC jokes and giggles.

At least in my group.

JaronK

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

They function exactly as normal. Meaning that the fighter can, in fact, negate attacks made against the wizard with a Ride check. Sub-optimal?

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    Also, you get a lot of OOC jokes and giggles.

At least in my group.
    Not just yours. That demon ostrich with butterfly wings would have been awesome, but the DM said that it would be too conspicuous. *grumble*
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-01-18 at 07:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

We did this in a campaign. A halfling barbarian riding on a dire-puma druid. ;)
    It was real fun.

(Btw, a little question off the side. Why is ride a dexterity and not a Wisdom skill? I believe that riding was mostly about communicating with the mount and reading the mounts intentions before it acts ... other than just keeping in the saddle)
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asheram View Post
    (Btw, a little question off the side. Why is ride a dexterity and not a Wisdom skill? I believe that riding was mostly about communicating with the mount and reading the mounts intentions before it acts ... other than just keeping in the saddle)
    That's covered by the synergy bonus from Handle Animal.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    They function exactly as normal. Meaning that the fighter can, in fact, negate attacks made against the wizard with a Ride check. Sub-optimal?

Not just yours. That demon ostrich with butterfly wings would have been awesome, but the DM said that it would be too conspicuous. *grumble*
    yes it is suboptimal, if I remember correctly, only one of them has a standard action per round

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by BenTheJester View Post
    yes it is suboptimal, if I remember correctly, only one of them has a standard action per round
    You don't.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I guess it's just that RAW has a lot of assumptions baked into it in terms of how mounted combat works. There is an assumption that the mount's will is subsumed into the will of the rider for the most part, being directed and operating as one in the same round.

But when you have two characters then suddenly you're operating perhaps at different initiative counts, the rider can only argue with the mount as to where to go, etc.

So I guess I'm just seeing if there is anything that has has fleshed out the unique nature of "character on character" action.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by harpy View Post
    So I guess I'm just seeing if there is anything that has has fleshed out the unique nature of "character on character" action.
    I see what you did there
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    You don't.
    Ugh you're right, I guess.

There are just absolutely no mention of a mount's standard action, not in the DMG, not in the PHB, not in any of the 5 All About Mounts serie.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Searching doesn't seem to be finding anything, but has there been any rules vetted on what happens when one player is mounted on another character? Such as a wizard polymorphs into a warhorse and then the fighter mounts the polymorphed wizard and charges into battle.

Beyond that being spectacularly sub-optimal, how do all of the mounted rules function when the mount is a character?
    It works much better with a druid wildshaped into some Big cat or a dire wolf. I once had a halfling knight on a cheetah...
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asheram View Post
    We did this in a campaign. A halfling barbarian riding on a dire-puma druid. ;)
    It was real fun.

Ride used to be a wisdom check in AD&D but the idea in 3E is that all actions from the ride skill are based on manual dexterity; dipping down in the saddle, dismounting, rearing on the reigns, knowing when to spur it on, etc.

I guess it's just that RAW has a lot of assumptions baked into it in terms of how mounted combat works. There is an assumption that the mount's will is subsumed into the will of the rider for the most part, being directed and operating as one in the same round.

But when you have two characters then suddenly you're operating perhaps at different initiative counts, the rider can only argue with the mount as to where to go, etc.

It's not difficult or complicated. The mount acts on your initiative count. Only light horses, ponies, and heavy horses have to be checked to control in battle so the rider doesn't have to make ride checks (but he still must make the DC 10 to guide with the knees if he wants both hands). If you order your mount to attack (which happens on your initiative) and you also want to attack, then you also have to make the "fight with warhorse" check which represents regaining your bearings. It makes sense; when a horse rears back to stomp on something or your chimera breathes fire on the enemy it's pretty jarring for the guy riding it.

Everything else regarding the ride skill functions normally.
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2010-01-18 at 08:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Babies, most often.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Normal rules for mounted combat apply. Initiative is a simple delay from being a non-issue. As for who decides where the mount goes, that's obviously up to his player, but the mounted characters player can communicate his desires through speaking, ride checks, or not communicate at all because they've worked things out before-hand and the mount's player already knows what his character needs to do without being directed. Oh and the rules for being on a mount that you don't control are in either the DMG or MM, I just don't remember which.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2010-01-18 at 09:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    The Ride skill

Said fighter can also spur you and make you leap (theoretically).

I am so giving a halfling outrider a piggyback ride, with an exotic saddle so we can negate ride penalties.
    Last edited by Stompy; 2010-01-18 at 09:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Eh... It'd make sense to me if the mount was a charger barbarian and the rider a martial adept. The first acts on their count to power attack pounce while the second is moved into position to unleash boosts/strikes. Not sub optimal at all for a pair of melee characters, and even better if the 'rider' is a Crusader for heals and White Raven perks.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Babies, most often.
    not with magical birth control!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

The description for ride says that not everything that is willing can be a mount, so I don't see any DM allowing a gnome wizard to ride the dwarf barbarian. Now throw a halfling outrider on a centaur anything and things get into the twilight zone.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Hilarity ensues!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Jokes aside, the following happens:

1 - Movement is controled by the Mount.

2 - Mount has normal actions.

3 - Rider cannot Full Attack if the mount has moved more tha 5 feet in that round, unless he has a class feature that allows him to (Cavalier, Ashworm Dragoon, There is another one but I forgot the name, its in CW).

4 - Rider receives same benefits ad penalties if the mount charges.

5 - Rider has all his normal actions, but cannot use his move action to actually move, nor can he perform double moves.

6 - Rider can use the ride skill to protect the mount.

So, I would guess that ideally the PC-riding-PC combo is best formed by a character who will not draw that much use from his move actions as a rider (spellcaster, manifester or martial adept), a charger with a lance, or someone with cavalier levels. Ideally the mount will be a shapeshifted druid/wildshape ranger or some other fititng melee.
    Last edited by Draken; 2010-01-19 at 08:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    3 - Rider cannot Full Attack if the mount has moved more tha 5 feet in that round, unless he has a class feature that allows him to (Cavalier, Ashworm Dragoon, There is another one but I forgot the name, its in CW).
    Halfling Outrider.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    The description for ride says that not everything that is willing can be a mount, so I don't see any DM allowing a gnome wizard to ride the dwarf barbarian. Now throw a halfling outrider on a centaur anything and things get into the twilight zone.
    Human Wizard Mount with a Halfling Chain Tripper as his rider. How's that for teamwork?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

what, noone is going to reference the book of erotic fantasy? I'd think it would have rules to cover that situation...
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2010-01-19 at 01:43 PM.
    Kungaloosh!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

For the rider, it functions like any other non-battle-trained mount.

For the mount, take into account your encumbrance from the weight of the rider + gear.

There are no rules for training a PC or other intelligent creature as a batle mount. However I assunme that since an Int 1-2 animal can learn to do it, your Int 18 wizard can learn the tricks too. Someone would still need to make a Handle Animal check when the wizard is in animal form, and it would still take weeks to get him battle trained. A nice DM might reduce the DC or training time since the wizard can actually understood what's being said.

Unlike a normal untrained mount however, a PC (or other intelligent creature) acting as a mount could attack any type of creature (not just animals, giants, humanoids and monstrous humanoids like other mounts) because that is a matter of personal choice.

ap
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-01-27 at 12:17 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

25. - Top - End - #25

My favorite pvp team was two halfling sorcerers mounted on two druids in dire bat wildshape never got to actually play it though...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

A friend of mine and I want to try this, with him being the rider and my character being a Centaur Fighter. Now if only Centaurs weren't ECL 6 before class levels...
    Originally Posted by gdiddy
    There can be no resurrection of 3.5. But the SRD is the phylactery of 3.5 and it's kind of eternal for that.

Legacy of the Immortals Campaign Setting Any feedback, help or ideas you have are greatly appreciated.
    My Campaign Log (Apologize for Walls of Text)
    My House Rules
    My take on the Druid
    Prime20. Where Rule of Cool rules Alternatively, come to the new and improved Prime20 Thread!
    The wiki for Prime20

27. - Top - End - #27

Have the party's druid turn into some big cat with pounce. Give him powerful and greater powerful charge so that he's doing an extra 3d6 on a charge. Power attack and Leap attack allows for double power attack damage. Pounce allows use of both claws and the bite attack at the end of a charge. Charge of the Triceatops Spell give him a gore attack that does 2d6 for a Large size Cat.
    Give the fighter the mounted combat and mounted charge feats, and a badass spear.

Kill everything.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

This would be Ideal for gestault...
    Mount:
    Druid X//Lion Totem Barbarian X

Rider:
    Feat rouge X//Warlock X
    Feat rouge so he gets extra feats (as fighter), and synergies with warlock.

Druid wears unique saddle, morphs into lion, rougelock climbs on saddle, druid uses barbarian rage (for nice lion synergy), charges in, using lion pounce to slaughter, while rougelock fires energy at everyone, picking a pocket or two on the way if he has time.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

What happens when a character is a mount for another character?
    new half race template