New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Outside XII: We number things correctly.

[underdark]
    where will I be going? din asks nervously, not wanted to be parted from what was probably her only ticket home

thanks beansy!
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ogre in the Playground

[Underdark]

"I'll try to make sure you'll stay with us." Raril assures her.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Barbarian in the Playground

AuxCave

Magtok reaches into his sleeve, and pulls out a jacket and everything else Elly might need. He makes the dumb mistake of trying to pull out everything at once though, and spends a good minute or two just trying to pull his arm out and free up enough room to shove everything out the hole one's hand sticks out of.

Eventually though, he manages to stick an arm out towards Elly, taking care to not look in her direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

4. - Top - End - #1174

[Underdark]

"Mmm... I see..."
    Memzee replies in a level tone. "I do hope that the interior is as exquisite as the exterior."

Avatar's ears droop as the drow worker starts to hurry off in another direction. And she keeps calling out to him in the Drow language in a fashion far louder than strictly needed. "Come back mister! I wanted to know if you have ever ridden a camel!"

She thinks camels are very silly and that they wouldn't be particularly good for riding. Too stupid and lumpy and smelly. And they can't even fly! That isn't good at all!

Memzee narrows her eyes at the chimera.

"Remember what I taught you regarding silence, beast."

Avatar nods her head enthusiastically and replies just as loudly as before. "Yes! I am very good at being quiet! I will be so quiet you will not even know I am here!"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Orc in the Playground

[Birth of a True Empire-II]

Acro-Imperial forces exit Inside, quickly taking over many villages and small towns. Some are easier, the Empire offering humanitarian aid, especially to those that were victims of the Nightmares and the catpeople army.

Some are not, but their smaller and weaker defenses quickly fall against the Empire's superior power and technology...though none see the hellish scenes the revolt in Inside was subjected to, nor those cybernetic shock troops.

The Acronymian Empire is no longer an empire in name only, it would seem...
    Last edited by Darkcomet; 2010-02-16 at 12:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Faded Keep]

"My lord, an army has initiated a rapid seizure of local areas."
    "So they have. This can't be an action against us, we have yet to do anything particularly hostile against them. It would appear, for once, that they are merely expanding."
    "To be realistic, we don't have to capacity to handle a force of that size, not while you're in your current state."
    "Not at all."
    The shade stares at the small scrying bowl on the table before him, considering the situation.
    "Lower the fields around our own assets. Let us introduce them to the realm of shadow."
    "That is a little ris-"
    "I did not ask for your opinion. Do it or you will find yourself staked to the Spire. Now."
    The creature within the orange robe bows its head quickly and departs.

After several moments, the Spire outside releases a violent flare of heavy fog, blanketing the surrounding areas.

[Countryside]

The domes around Relim, Hannis, Poloc, and Hern fade away, revealing the dessicated husks of villages beneath.
    Beyond the fact that they are populated strictly by walking corpses controlled by shadows and more unearthly creatures, the most striking features about them are their distinct monochrome coloration. There is no color in these towns, anywhere.
    And then there are the rifts, twenty foot high tears in reality, where the air itself is colder than ice, but nothing freezes, where light cannot reach and darkness festers like a disease.

The roving army should beware, in its rampant conquerings. They are not the only ones with something to gain, here.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Bugbear in the Playground

[AuxCave]

*insert Dressing montage, here*

"Well. It all fits. Bit drab though, don't you think?" She picks at it idly for a moment, then looks up with a coy smile, "Time to go wreck someone's day?"
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

8. - Top - End - #1178

AuxCave

Magtok smirks maliciously.

Just one itty-bitty day? I need that business just to continue living, we'll spoil way more than just a day or even a week for them if things g-

He blinks as he abruptly stops, and thinks about what he just said.

No killing, though. I mean, I'm still good if I don't kill, right? And-

Magtok sighs, and visibly sinks down until his robes touch the floor.

I can't do this. This good alignment thing, it's not working. It's way more aggravating than being a villain. I mean, I never hurt anyone important, I never intentionally did anything really, really wrong like try to end the world or anything, even at my worst. And if anyone good gets killed, they just get an early happy afterlife, right?

A-and with Cal gone, there's really no point, right? I mean, people are more or less safe-ish again, the world's sticking around for a while, I can go ahead and-

Magtok crumples even lower, realizing he's trying to justify turning back to murder, kidnapping, and general immorality, and failing terribly at it.

I just want to be able to have fun again but not have everyone think I'm a monster for it. I-I'm not that bad. I mean, I never tortured anyone, I don't use other people for tests or anything.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

9. - Top - End - #1179

[AuxCave]

Elle waits quietly as he begins, then moves closer and closer as he sinks, and then crushes him into an awkward hug as he gets into mumbles. "Good and evil are all subjective, Magtok. You're not "good" because of deeds or actions, or public opinion. And you are not "bad" or "evil" because of how you feel. So quit thinking like that."

The catgirl embraces him in a bit tighter against... herself. "Now listen to me. I could care less whatever you decide to do. You don't torture people. Good. That's great, in fact. No drawn out stuff, no painful lives of pointless suffering. You kill people. It's short, and to the point. And as long as you aren't just doing it for the heck of it, I don't see why you're so torn up. I know, you just managed this whole "redeemed" bit. And, hell, were pulling it off well. Battling the greater evils, trying to do good. But that was for other people. And your ego. Because you have to live up to everything, and manage to do anything. Now get up off my chest, and let's go trash something that's a direct threat to your way of life. Either that, or instead of vacations, I'm just going to take your legs and hovering away, and lock all of... um... you, in the same room. And torture you. Visually."
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1180

AuxCave

The OHGODWHAT panic that usually kicks in when someone gets this close to Magtok forgets to set off its usual alarms, and the cyborg seems almost...comforted by the gesture. Strange, being at such an emotional low point must've switched off that instinct.

As Magtok takes a deep breath and gathers himself back up, he quickly activates the internal self-medication system, pumping an anti-depressant into his body to help clear up this nasty mood. Even before the drugs can kick in though, he's already got a crooked smile on his face, and is headed towards the door with his usual brisk hovering pace. It's almost as if nothing even happened to him a moment ago.

Y'know, with threats like that, sometimes I think we forget one of us is an employee here. And if it weren't for the whole almost dying thing each time, I'd probably start to think this whole vacation endeavor was just a scheme to get out of doing work for a while.

He then stops, and turns back towards Elly, gesturing towards his neck.

Oh hey, you don't want a scarf or anything, do you? I mean, just until it fades or the robbery gets forgotten?
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2010-02-17 at 10:21 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

11. - Top - End - #1181

[AuxCave]

"You are, of course. Sir." She grins and follows along behind him, until he turns around. "Oh... Right. Need to cover this up. Got anything sexy for me?" She hums cheekily and winks.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1182

AuxCave

Magtok's shoulder flinches a little at the mention of that accursed s-word (No, not "Sir", the other one). He tries to lift his arm up with a deliberate swoosh to make it look like that spasm was just him moving his sleeve into place to pull out a scarf.

Said scarf turns out to be tied to another scarf ,which is tied to another, which is tied to a following scarf that is pulled out with irritation, and so on.

Darn it, I could've sworn I'd gotten rid of these things weeks ago!

After a while Magtok simply gives up on finding the end to the chain and facepalms. He then unties a decent-looking scarf, and hands it over before tucking the big, dumb, ugly mess back into his sleeve.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

13. - Top - End - #1183

[AuxCave]

Elle stands and watches, bemused and trying her best not to giggle, "Were you doing a magic act, Magtok?" She asks, taking it from him and wrapping it around her neck, tying a simple knot in the front. "Lets go mess them up. It'll be fun, right?"
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1184

[AuxCave]

Magtok smiles and shrugs.

Something like that, yeah. Just don't ask me how the sawing someone in half act went.

He then immediately remembers that he can't walk out his front door due to the MagSat passing by at around this time, so they'll have to take the telewarp method again.

And of course it'll be fun. I mean, unless tearing up the aisles, kicking down office doors to scare the guy in charge out of town, doing who knows how much property damage, and drive-by shootouts with a shopping cart sounds dull to you.

With an even more upbeat and cheerful stride in his movements, Magtok attempts to take Elly by the hand around the time he says the word "fun" and rush to the slowly materializing exit, this time not as part of some silly robbery game but as a sort of gratitude for her being there a moment ago and tolerating his momentary lapse of restraint.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Roof]

And thus Zee fiddles with her helicopter straps! Quite a bit, really. They're good for fiddling with. Especially since she hasn't ever dealt with a harness quite like one of these before...

...she might need someone to show her how to put the thing on. And as a matter of fact-

Zee coughs before asking the guard next to her, "Eeerr... How do you work one of these, exactly?"

Attention then goes back to the Commander, her head shaking slowly.

"I... think you might misunderstand. I don't think the Empire is bad as far as a humanitarian and police force go. I think those things are both good. By Deios... If Vyrn hadn't started calling all this an Empire I probably would have joined just like I did with the city's old police force. All of this... is a tool. It can be used to bind up wounds or make them. It can be used to protect or conquer. And it's hard for me to support a conqueror..."

Off to Outside!
    [Above the Countryside]

The guard looks questioningly at his commander and is met with a nod before fixing Zee's straps, doing so slowly to show her how they work.

Edijar sighs. "I understand perfectly what you meant. But again, you have only been seeing half the picture. Vyrn gave us a chance, a life. It was his idea to do so. He may be using that to his own end, but it's given everything I've wanted and more." He looks at Zee with all seriousness. She may notice him rubbing the ring finger on his left hand, near the knuckle. Even through the gauntlets, it should be obvious why. "Should you go against him, everyone he's recruited will stand by his side, even if he is a tyrant." He sighs again and turns to look out the window. "He's merely someone that is making the way for something better. And I will defend that something with my life, I need you to understand that."

16. - Top - End - #1186

[Above the Countryside]

Zee opens her mouth to respond...

...only to close it again. Turns to gaze out the window herself. No doubt the army of the Empire spreading out across the land is easily seen from up here. Some freeing villages from evil and repressive feudal lords. Some taking land from those unwilling to give it up. She knows well enough what will happen eventually.

The Empire will start moving into the territory of one of the lands that boarders the Nexus. And they'll find retribution. Someone will resist who's better armed than a bunch of peasants. And they may very well launch a counter-strike against the City.

Which is exactly what they don't need.

A little bit of evil with their good. A little bit of good with their evil. It makes her nauseous.

She knows that people like Edijar are just being used by Vyrn. It's so obvious now that all the good that the prince did was just a smoke screen for conquest. He's as bad as Draken. Except instead of threats of doom he comes with gifts and honeid words. He's just nicer about the slavery he has in mind.

And plenty of people seem to have bought it, hook line and sinker.

Zee casts a sidelong glance at the commander, her eyes a little misty. "What's her name?"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2010-02-19 at 10:37 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1187

Countryside - Helicopter Ride

Outside the glass walls of the helcopter, there is indeed the scene of Empire troops moving along in a rolling thunder. First on the way out of the city is the later waves of APC kicking up dust from thier half-tracks, with 5-tonner flatbed transports hurrying to keep up in the crosscountry, loaded down with replacements, ammuntition, and building supplies.

The further out the 'copter gets, the more scattered the troops, as they split into different directions for the villages that spot the landscape. By this point the closer ones are peaceful, either surrenders, accepting of help, or in some sad cases forced into the Empire. Soldiers in the villages are up to a variety of things, from helping setup pipelines, digging new wells, rebuilding farms and houses... and digging graves, while chisellers on the back of trucks work out gravestones for the dead.

One that they pass on the way to the first place that Edijar had instructed to go, is still in the midst of combat. A towering midevil castle, pennants flying is showered in sprays of pulse rifle fire, while arrows rain back at the troopers, little more than black lines from this height, the heavy blue splash of a tank cannon, and part of the parapets crumble... whoever this resistor was, it wasn't going to be long... but it disappears behind them as the steady chop-chop-chop of the helicopter carries it away from the scene.

AuxCave

Elle smiles indulgently at Magtok, giving his hand a gentle squeeze when he takes hers, and then cheerfully follows him through the portal, certain that whatever was next was going to be a great bunch of fun.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ogre in the Playground

[Helicopter Ride]

The commander watches the scenery, but isn't surprised at all by what's happening. He's been in the thick of it. He sighs. He knew Zee was unlikely to change her mind, but he had to give her a chance, just for old times sake. He owed her that much at least.

She never had to sleep for weeks on end with only a ragged jacket and a sheaf of newspaper to protect you against a blizzard. She never had to scrounge through the garbage for scraps of moldy food. He'd been given a lucky chance to change all of that, and he took it. Just as so many others have.

He didn't believe the Empire to be a good thing, just a necessary one. One that he'd defend.

Edijar sighs as he thinks of his wife. "Rebecca. She works in the field hospitals, patching up soldiers and rebels alike." A slight smile appears on his face. "We believe a child is on the way."

He waves at the towns as they pass, his tone more serious. "Yes, we do take over towns, sometimes by force. But what you probably don't know is that half the time, that force is because an idiot warlord forces the people to fight. We try to minimize casualties, but sometimes it's impossible." The commander sighs. "Even so, once we're established, we rebuild everything necessary and more. You'd be surprised how many villages here don't even have basic medical services and schools or even clean water." He turns back to the window. "We expect some people to hate us, and we won't ask forgiveness for what we've done, just that people make the effort to see all of what we're doing."

19. - Top - End - #1189

[Above the Countryside]

"Rebbecca... That's a nice name," Zee replies rather warmly. "And congratulations. If you like I can check on the health of the child. Make sure there aren't any potential abnormalities. Assuming the prince doesn't decide to execute me."

That would put a pretty serious delay on her plans. Though thankfully it wouldn't end them by any means.

Then a slow nod as the explanation comes. "Some are modern. Some ye olde. Some futuristic. Some aren't even peopled by what most would consider people. The Nexus is a strange place after all," she comments as the top of the wall is blasted away by tank-fire, presumably killing the defenders in the process. "Some city states. Some fiefdoms. Some the edges of empires themselves. Some are enslaved. Some are free. I would imagine many see you as liberators rather than conquerors."

Now a shake of the head as she considers all this. "Though it's probably only a matter of time before you encounter people better equipped than Vyrn is. I know the seizing of the Nexus has upset a few of the empires that boarder our City. Though... others hailed it as much needed order brought to chaos. But an aggressive expansion like this... Aside from the innocents that have died I'm afraid it might attract unwanted attention."

Which would be bad, obviously.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2010-02-19 at 03:21 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ogre in the Playground

[Helicopter Ride]

He doesn't even flinch as the ramparts fall under the siege. He also doesn't show any emotion under her speech. He didn't think she understood yet. And still doubted she ever would. She would lose face with people who supported her if she turned her back on it now.

"No offense Zee, but I'm not going to let you near my child yet, even though I really do appreciate the offer." He looks at an electronic time piece on his wrist. "And even if we find someone better equipped, they'll cause just as much, if not more damage. We were at least trying to minimize casualties. I doubt anyone who comes to invade will do the same." Commander Edijar turns back to the window. "From what I gather, we're likely to stop at the edges of the other lands and dig in, fortify. That way we can defend the place and keep from stepping on other toes."

The tone of the ride changes and it begins to lower in the middle of a town, this one looking more ramshackle than others, but still being rebuilt and added to.

"We've arrived. This is one of the newer refugee towns."
    As soon as the ride stops, he undoes his straps and opens the door, stepping out and turning around to offer Zee a helping hand out.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2010-02-19 at 09:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold Village Near Inside

It has a sandstone Egyptian-looking temple in the middle, surrounded by piles of earth and stone that have been hollowed out or possibly heaped against other structures. More notable are the kobolds going about their daily business, each has a shotgun over its shoulder; the only exceptions are those kobold children in a creche near the temple, but there's several adults nearby keeping an eye on them. There's also a large motorbike next to the temple with chainguns mounted below the driver's seat.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    [Underdark]

"I'll try to make sure you'll stay with us." Raril assures her.
    just one more question master, and I'll promise to be quiet: who was that scarry lady back there?

thanks beansy!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1193

[Get Out of Dah Choppah!]

"Hee... I understand," Zee replies in a neutral sounding tone. Sure she had been kind to the Commander in the past, but that was before he joined an organization that she has... issues with. Completely understandable that he wouldn't be completely trusting in an issue like that.

"I know they would probably be more destructive than you are. Many of the Empires and Republics and Kingdoms that surround and even overlap the Nexus are use to fighting off forces that come marching out of it. Usually undead or monsters of some kind. But I imagine some might react to people in the same way. If you can, just tell Vyrn to be careful where he sticks his arm. I don't want to see it cut off."

Because said arm is made of people that aren't Vyrn. Her beef is with the Emperor. Not the Empire itself.

And thus Zee begins to disembark! Hooray!

[A Forest Some Distance Away]

Amity hops out of the fleshy looking portal and takes a nice deep breath of the air. For the first time it doesn't smell like rot and flesh. And frankly that's wonderful.

She glances around for a few moments before pointing off through the woods. "I think I recognize this place. The main road should be that way. It'll take a few hours to get home from here."

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Halfling in the Playground

[In the Forest!]

Slythynia emerges from the demon-y portal thingy and looks around. Seems safe enough...no immediate sign of demon hunters anyway. "A few hours? Hmm...I could always carry you! I can run pretty fast. I could probably shave an hour or two off, if you want, that is."

Of course, at some point she has to feed. There should be plenty of time for that later, maybe once she's made sure that Amity safely meets up with her family.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

25. - Top - End - #1195

[To the Road!]

"No thanks, I think I would rather walk on my own. We have a whole day besides, so that should be fine," Amity replies brightly as she starts to wade through the underbrush toward the road. Several of her lil' bugzards are busy buzzing around her and finding dead things to eat.

Though... as they draw near to the road some rather odd sounds begin to filter through the trees.

Sounds Amity hasn't ever heard before.

Wrinkles her nose a bit, wondering what it is...

And upon pushing her way through the last of the brush she finds out! Imperial APCs rolling down the road! She hasn't ever seen one of those before. The demoness glances at Sly, then back at the vehicle.

"What are those things?"

26. - Top - End - #1196

[The Road]

Sly pushes her way through the last little patch of plant-life and joins Amity. She watches and frowns slightly, "Hmm, well, I can't say for sure but they look similar to some of the things I saw in Inside. I'd say they're probably some sort of transport for the empire, though what they're doing out here I can't say. It isn't anything to worry about anyway, we'll just keep out of the way of them.

She gently shoos a bugzard out of the way and steps out onto the road, staying well to the side of the APCs. They've got no reason to bother with her, so she's not going to bother them. She's just going to stay out of the way and keep going. Whatever they're up to, it's none of her business.

"Come on! Let's go!"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ogre in the Playground

[Refugee Village]

"I know all about the dangers Zee, most of us serve a few times a month as a guard against them. There's been more than one monster outbreak we've stopped. The Zombie Wombats a few weeks ago were interesting, but mostly harmless thankfully." He starts walking away from the copter, seeming to ignore her request to tell Vyrn what she said.

"The village we're in is actually 5-6 different ones brought together because the originals lacked enough population to be able to support themselves. At least 2 of those villages were those who resisted, and the others had been mostly killed off by previous attacks before we could get there. All had been close to starvation though. But not now."
    Zee will see a basic hospital set up, brand new, as well as large sacks of food being offloaded and taken into storage buildings by Acro-Imperial Guards. Many of the houses are new as well. "All the dead were buried at their native homes."

28. - Top - End - #1198

[The Road]

The bugzard makes an irritated chittering noise when shooed, zipping around to land on Amity's shoulder whilst complaining at her. She makes some equally inhuman chattering noises back at it whilst rubbing the thing on the head. That seems to do a good job of settling it down.

"The Empire? Those people who took over the City? That's weird... I wonder why they're out here..."

She glances off, watching them rumble down the road. Then gets a good idea!

Amity runs along side one, waving her arms at it.

"Hey! Wait!"

[Refugee Village]

Quite instinctively Zee is searching for anyone that looks injured. Her first impulse in a place like this is to help anyone she can. But thankfully that work is already being covered.

"I'm glad that there hasn't been anything major lately. Draken's bugs seemed to have quieted down. Thankful for that, it could have been devastating..."

To say the least.

She's heading toward the closest hospital looking building she can find. Probably determined to do what she can to aid as well.

29. - Top - End - #1199

[On the Roooad again!]

"Um, they might be a bit busy." Sly slows down, realising she'd been striding off ahead without even noticing. "But I suppose it won't hurt to try."

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

[Refugee Village]

Commander Edijar puts a hand on Zee's shoulder. "Sorry, but it's best if you don't go in. I'm risking a lot just bringing you out here. There are only a few minor injuries anyways and a few cases of malnutrition. It's already being covered. And the bugs really were devastating out this far. These villages had been surviving off of their bootstraps when we came. Their stored food had been completely devoured."