New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default double weapon question (4e)

Do double weapons also count as a 2 handed weapon. So for instance, can a Barbarian use it for both attacks that need 2 weapons, and attacks that need a 2-handed weapon?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: double weapon question (4e)

See the Updates. (Under Old Updates, Adventurer's Vault (page 27)) Only certain ones do: they've got the "Stout" keyword, and count as such.

(Incidentally, the new update confirms what I've been ruling all along: resistances don't stack unless they explicitly state such)
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2010-01-19 at 11:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for the help. I do have 2 more questions though.

1. I played a whirling slayer Barbarian in LFR. My character dual wields Bastard Swords, and does fairly well. However someone recommended I switch to double axes, or another double weapon instead. I am wondering which one would work better.

2. To help me make my decision. Do versatile weapons count as 2-handed weapons when held in both hands?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Blazen View Post
    Thanks for the help. I do have 2 more questions though.

1. I played a whirling slayer Barbarian in LFR. My character dual wields Bastard Swords, and does fairly well. However someone recommended I switch to double axes, or another double weapon instead. I am wondering which one would work better.

2. To help me make my decision. Do versatile weapons count as 2-handed weapons when held in both hands?
    1. Actually, your best bet would (sadly) be to use a waraxe in your offhand, simply because it has the highest damage die. You don't need to be proficient with it or anything, since you never actually roll to attack with it - you only need it there to add it's damage die.

2) No, versatile weapons do not (by RAW) count as 2-handed. I believe it's a common enough houserule to say that they do, though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, actually, since I already took WF Sword I would have a damage range of 2-11 (3-12 at level 11, and 4-13 at level 21), versus 1-12. I will look over the stuff, but I may switch to the waraxe, and take WF Axe.
    Also, I am playing RPGA games, so I guess a versatile weapon would not count as 2-handed. I'll try asking the GM before a game, see what he says. Even if not, the difference is a choice of one of my at-will powers.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Freylorn View Post
    2) No, versatile weapons do not (by RAW) count as 2-handed. I believe it's a common enough houserule to say that they do, though.
    IIRC they put in the update that as long as you are using a versatile weapon with two hands you can use it with your Barbarian powers. This was done so small races could use all of the Barbarian powers.

Please click my dragons

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Blazen View Post
    Well, actually, since I already took WF Sword I would have a damage range of 2-11 (3-12 at level 11, and 4-13 at level 21), versus 1-12. I will look over the stuff, but I may switch to the waraxe, and take WF Axe.
    Also, I am playing RPGA games, so I guess a versatile weapon would not count as 2-handed. I'll try asking the GM before a game, see what he says. Even if not, the difference is a choice of one of my at-will powers.
    Actually, weapon focus doesn't matter in this equation. You're using a heavy blade as your primary weapon, and you've already got weapon focus: heavy blades. It's a feat bonus, so it won't stack with itself. It's the same reason your offhand weapon as a whirling slayer may as well be mundane - the enhancement bonus on it won't stack with your primary weapon one, since the entire thing is slapped together on one damage line.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Anubis View Post
    IIRC they put in the update that as long as you are using a versatile weapon with two hands you can use it with your Barbarian powers. This was done so small races could use all of the Barbarian powers.
    Oh? I stand corrected, then! Not that I disbelieve you, but could you possibly quote me the exact source on that? I'd like to see the exact wording on it, to see what else that ruling applies to (power attack, etc.)
    Last edited by Freylorn; 2010-01-21 at 07:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Freylorn View Post
    Oh? I stand corrected, then! Not that I disbelieve you, but could you possibly quote me the exact source on that? I'd like to see the exact wording on it, to see what else that ruling applies to (power attack, etc.)
    They changed the wording on the powers, not on Versitle weapons.

instead of:

you must be wielding a two handed weapon.

it's:

You must be wielding a weapon in two hands.

This change was made for all Barb powers that had the restriction, IIRC. Check the errata. it's in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler