New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Soooo....Dragonfire Adept...in Eberron?

Had this idea for a dragonfire adept as a backup character. He would be tracking a necromancer (who currently seems to be the best candidate for the BBEG) that escaped from a prison guarded by Tartarian dragons. The problem is, such a character would not exist in Eberron, so I figured he could have followed the necromancer through a planar portal. But that still leaves me with the problem of how will the general populace react towards me? Could it work? (Let's just pray he never meets a dragon.)
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-01-20 at 06:49 PM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Soooo....Dragonfire Adept...in Eberron?

"If it exists in D&D, it has a place in Eberron."

Now, that "place" might be a smear under a true dragon's claw, but this is where discretion comes into play.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't know much about Eberron, but why can't DFA exist in Eberron?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Basically Dragons destroyed an entire house because a Half-dragon was born into it, they LOATHE to mix with the lesser races (even the metallic ones) and they are even mor aloof than in other settings.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BenTheJester View Post
    Dragons never soil their bloodline. You are either 100% dragon, 0% dragon, or dead. Additionally, there are no benevolent dragons who help the mortals, so they are feared even more so in Eberron.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BenTheJester View Post
    Because Eberron dragons are jerks.

Specifically, DFA can exist, but it's dangerous. They will be lucky if any dragon they come across simply dislikes them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Dragons never soil their bloodline. You are either 100% dragon, 0% dragon, or dead. Additionally, there are no benevolent dragons who help the mortals, so they are feared even more so in Eberron.
    And to compound the problem, Eberron Dragons are actually stronger than the humanoids. There are no epic humanoids alive, while the Dragons rank in countless epic spellcasters and so on. So pissing them off is a v. bad idea.

If something is actually big enough for them to care, they might just break a continent. Or a dimension. "Subtlety" isn't really in their vocabulary; they have power and while most of the time they do nothing, when they do something, the power shows.

So yeah, in comparison to e.g. Forgotten Realms, the biggest differences:
    - Dragons as a whole are much more powerful than Humanoids as a whole
    - Dragons aren't divided into a bunch of Good Dragons and Evil Dragons duking it out
    - Dragons don't tolerate halfbreeds. At all.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-20 at 07:38 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

What if one reflavored DFA as being a manifestation of a dragonmark?
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    What if one reflavored DFA as being a manifestation of a dragonmark?
    I'm rather attached to the whole "prison guarded by Tartarian dragons" thing, and coming from another realm would explain my ignorance of Eberron. However, this method would short out the problem with people's reactions.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless of course you enjoy igniting incident. That's about one-third of the reason I wander around human populations as a Gnoll. Of course, igniting incident with Cthulu-Dragons might not be a good idea.

The other two-thirds are because I like the ability bonuses and because Gnolls are awesome.
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2010-01-20 at 08:02 PM.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Since when are Eberron's dragons not subtle? The entire purpose of the Chamber -- the group of dragons most involved in affairs outside Argonnessen -- is manipulating humanoids into fulfilling their interpretations of the Prophecy without revealing themselves. Keith Baker's story in the Dragons: Worlds Afire anthology is about a shifter who was raised by a dragon without knowing it.

In any case, it seems to me that dragonfire adepts would fit in perfectly among the Serens, as long as you fluff them as dragon themed shamans rather than experiments in extreme husbandry. Why one of them is off being a PC in Khorvaire or wherever is a simple matter for the player to work out.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm rather attached to the whole "prison guarded by Tartarian dragons" thing, and coming from another realm would explain my ignorance of Eberron. However, this method would short out the problem with people's reactions.
    Actually, that wasn't as much a solution as it was a question to those more familiar with Eberron, but if you like it, I suggest manifesting a Syberis mark, just cause that one seems to offer the greatest freedom of character design.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teron View Post
    Since when are Eberron's dragons not subtle? The entire purpose of the Chamber -- the group of dragons most involved in affairs outside Argonnessen -- is manipulating humanoids into fulfilling their interpretations of the Prophecy without revealing themselves. Keith Baker's story in the Dragons: Worlds Afire anthology is about a shifter who was raised by a dragon without knowing it.
    I meant, when they make a move and actually show the power they've got, they're not subtle in the least. The constant activity is a completely different matter.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

I would say 0-10% dragon, given that Eberron has sorcerers (and dragonmarks, and even kobolds.) But good luck with Dragonborn/Spellscales/etc.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    I would say 0-10% dragon, given that Eberron has sorcerers (and dragonmarks, and even kobolds.) But good luck with Dragonborn/Spellscales/etc.
    Then there shouldn't be a problem with DFA's in the setting.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Okay, so if I say I was taught magic by dragons, but genertically was 100% human, the dragons would not have a problem with me? What about the humanoid races?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

In fairness, DFA's aren't actually part dragon. They just idolize dragons to the point of spontaneously taking on draconic traits. I'd be more worried about how people would react to you, especially elves.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so if I say I was taught magic by dragons, but genertically was 100% human, the dragons would not have a problem with me? What about the humanoid races?
    I doubt the humans would care too much - magic is magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Then there shouldn't be a problem with DFA's in the setting.
    Sure, as long as you don't do anything explicitly draconic. That means no breath weapon, no wings etc.

That's the problem - many of the dragons wouldn't care if you grew up in a clutch surrounded by little dragon nestmates, and spoke Draconic flawlessly. You're still a hairless monkey to them.

Talk to your DM, he might tell you how to keep a low profile.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Sure, as long as you don't do anything explicitly draconic. That means no breath weapon, no wings etc.
    Maybe I could lie and say my abilities are dinosaur related. Flying, fire breathing dinosaures.

That's the problem - many of the dragons wouldn't care if you grew up in a clutch surrounded by little dragon nestmates, and spoke Draconic flawlessly. You're still a hairless monkey to them.
    I do not mind that, as long as they do not kill me.
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-01-20 at 08:40 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Sorcerers in Eberron aren't literally dragon-blooded, and dragonmarks are a manifestation of the Draconic Prophecy, not freaky breeding. As for kobolds, they claim to be descended directly from Syberis, Eberron and Khyber, not mortal dragons, but there's no hard evidence that they're more than runty lizardfolk with delusions of grandeur.

Dragons should be fine with it in general; the character's patron dragon(s) might have enemies who disagree with their take on the Prophecy and want to mess with his plans by targeting the DFA, but that's a potential plot hook, not a fluff problem.

As for humanoids, they're more likely to care what country you're from than anything else, at least in Khorvaire. While there's a fair bit of discrimination in general, it's more "slurrs and poor service" than "torches and pitchforks", and a random weirdo is less alarming to bigots than a minority group they can blame for random social ills.

That really doesn't have to be a problem if the DM doesn't want it to be. Dragons should be able to tell the difference between a magic dragon fanboy (especially if he's a Seren -- that would make him some dragon's specially trained errand boy) and an icky halfbreed.
    Last edited by Teron; 2010-01-20 at 08:48 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

As for kobolds, they claim to be descended directly from Syberis, Eberron and Khyber, not mortal dragons, but there's no hard evidence that they're more than runty lizardfolk with delusions of grandeur.
    But they are dragons - or, at least, some of them have the Dragon type. So they are far more than runty lizardfolk with delusions of grandeur.

Heck, some of them even have wings and can breathe fire (or cold, or acid, or lightning)...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I'd say that very few people would care. You'd probably have some chamber people checking in on you, but once they figure out that you have no Dragon blood in you, and simply revere dragons as powerful beings, they'd probably be more ready to recruit you. I mean, from their perspective, they are worthy of worship.

And I'm not sure that you have to be too careful. From what I remember, there are many kinds of things that get breathe weapons, have scales, or have wings. Hell, there are spells that can do all of those.

Plus, do the nations even know about how the dragons tend to get very destructive about some things?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

...I'm playing a DFA right now. Much like Dragons in Eberron, I hate people who want to be dragons. (That's me the player, not me the character.) So, I just refluffed it. DFAs have some of the worst non-elf-related default flavor in 3.5 (read: I fap to dwagons so hard I learned how to breathe fire! I mean, WTF?), so just ignore the fluff and start over. You're another kind of sorcerer. You're a creature spawned by a tendril of Dal Quor getting too close to Fernia. You've been modified by rogue artificers until you're basically Inspector Gadget. You're like a warlock who made a pact with an Efreeti or some other elemental creature instead of a demon/fey/whatever. You are the holy manifestation of the Silver Flame given body and soul. Your mother was possessed by something powerful and elemental while you were in the womb. You're an escaped failed experiment of the Inspired trying to turn the Quori into raw physical energy. See? No goddamn dwagons. They're not necessary. They were never necessary. In fact, they really just get in the way. Any of those would make for an interesting character, be a perfectly fine fluff explanation, and provide some plot hooks. (Oh, and remember, who says that the flame is coming from your mouth? Palm flamethrowers, eye beams, whatever!)

Screw dragons. And as the universality of the half-dragon template teaches us, they'll screw you right back. Without protection.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    But they are dragons - or, at least, some of them have the Dragon type. So they are far more than runty lizardfolk with delusions of grandeur.

Heck, some of them even have wings and can breathe fire (or cold, or acid, or lightning)...
    Yeah, but later non-Eberron sourcebooks are to blame for that. I liked it better when kobolds were underdogs with a little sorcerous talent and disproportionate egos, rather than a race of super-awesome mini-dragons.

26. - Top - End - #26

Dragonborn can exist in Eberron freely. Read Races of the Dragon, there's a sidebar just for Eberron games.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but later non-Eberron sourcebooks are to blame for that. I liked it better when kobolds were underdogs with a little sorcerous talent and disproportionate egos, rather than a race of super-awesome mini-dragons.
    Oh, they're still underdogs with a little sorcerous talent and disproportionate egos. They just also happen to be mini-dragons.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

28. - Top - End - #28

Eh, it doesn't work for me, especially in Eberron where dragons are a Big Deal. Making the kobolds' claim demonstrably true, rather than hinting that just maybe there's something to it, takes the fun out of it.

29. - Top - End - #29

You're fine.

On a grim prison, guarded by Tarterian dragons: Perfectly plausible. Such a thing would not raise eyebrows in many of Eberron's planes; certainly not the Realm of the Dead, or the Battleground. And the same goes for a number of places on Eberron itself. The depths of Khyber might easily conceal such a thing; indeed, "the Lair of the Keeper" in the Demon Wastes could be such a place with very little difficulty, guarded by the corrupted dragons on the order of their mistress Tiamat (or indeed guarding her, precisely as the corrupted black dragon Rhashaak guards the demon lords trapped within his own prison-city). That parenthetical last would have the convenient side-effect of setting you up as an enemy of a preexisting organization, the Talons of Tiamat, further tying you into the setting; and a life in the black rift of the Keeper's Lair would explain your lack of knowledge of the setting material.

So, yeah, that would be my recommendation: the rift in the Demon Wastes which they call the Keeper's Lair actually harbors a prison deep underground, the mighty fiends within (and any other poor bastard who gets in there, seeking mastery over death and darkness; and anyone thrown down there by those few who know what the rift conceals) bound by ancient magic and guarded by dragons. Corrupted over the millennia, of course, but still bound to the place themselves.

On the Purity of the Master Race: One remarking on the purge of Vol should consider that it took place at the height of a massive, bitter war between elves and dragons, and the plot involved treason against both sides to carry out in the first place. And that those who participated actually believed that such a union would help; they misjudged the situation to a frankly hilarious extent, but the simple fact that they did says something, no? Half-dragons generally squick dragons the hell out, yes, and dragons generally do kill them whenever they come across them, but they're not actually terribly uncommon in Eberron even despite that. Just look through Dragons of Eberron--how many half-dragons do you see in there? A bunch, that's how many.

Second. Half-dragons generally squick dragons the hell out because their existence provides an immediate, kinda creepy reminder that "a dragon hit that". Draconic beings that aren't engendered by a true dragon screwing a hairless monkey within living memory don't do that. Dragonborn are fine. Spellscales are fine. Kobolds are fine.

And dragon shamans and dragonfire adepts are completely, utterly, perfectly fine. Indeed, I should think they'd be pretty damned common amongst the dragon-worshiping totemist barbarians of Seren.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

30. - Top - End - #30

Ooh, also this. (Well, maybe not the bit about really despising dragon-wannabes, but definitely the rest of it.) Nicely said, Zaq.

(And it still works for the prison-guard thing, if you refluff the Tarterians to match.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    ...I'm playing a DFA right now. Much like Dragons in Eberron, I hate people who want to be dragons. (That's me the player, not me the character.) So, I just refluffed it. DFAs have some of the worst non-elf-related default flavor in 3.5 (read: I fap to dwagons so hard I learned how to breathe fire! I mean, WTF?), so just ignore the fluff and start over. You're another kind of sorcerer. You're a creature spawned by a tendril of Dal Quor getting too close to Fernia. You've been modified by rogue artificers until you're basically Inspector Gadget. You're like a warlock who made a pact with an Efreeti or some other elemental creature instead of a demon/fey/whatever. You are the holy manifestation of the Silver Flame given body and soul. Your mother was possessed by something powerful and elemental while you were in the womb. You're an escaped failed experiment of the Inspired trying to turn the Quori into raw physical energy. See? No goddamn dwagons. They're not necessary. They were never necessary. In fact, they really just get in the way. Any of those would make for an interesting character, be a perfectly fine fluff explanation, and provide some plot hooks. (Oh, and remember, who says that the flame is coming from your mouth? Palm flamethrowers, eye beams, whatever!)

Screw dragons. And as the universality of the half-dragon template teaches us, they'll screw you right back. Without protection.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.