New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default black tentacles for non lethal subdual?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blackTentacles.htm

Once the tentacles grapple an opponent, they may make a grapple check each round on your turn to deal 1d6+4 points of bludgeoning damage. The tentacles continue to crush the opponent until the spell ends or the opponent escapes.
    They may make a check to deal constricting damage? as in... this is optional? does the caster have control over whether they merely grapple the opponent or try to deal damage as well? if they are controlled in such a manner, can they be instructed to deal non lethal damage?
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: black tentacles for non lethal subdual?

Judging from the next sentence, I'd say they are always attempting to inflict lethal damage. The may portion is just making sure that the DM understands that regardless of what other rules might state, these tentacles are able to grapple for damage.