New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Fun spells/creatures/ect? [3.5]

Ok so Soon I`m gonna be sending my party into a world/plane of insanity to destroy an evil/insane Necromancer/ilusionist/whatever else I want. I was wondering, what are some fun spells AND creatures to send at them? They do NOT need to be RAW, I`ve already planned a room full of living Predignitations.

Any book is fine, just give the full name. (EX: book of vile darkness instead of BoVD)

This is supposted to be a fun campaign, so nearly anything will do, I want to have some good laughs. (I might send in some of my heart-eating shape-shifters, or balefully pollymorph them...)
    Last edited by Dragero; 2010-01-21 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Add 3.5
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Have you seen what Bulbasaur is packing?

Long range razor sharp projectiles.
    Seeds with the speed and power of smg rounds.
    Midrange explosives.
    Death rays powered by the sun itself!
    Steam name: Dragero Add me! (Just click this link)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fun spells/creatures/ect? [3.5]

Half-Red dragon black puding. Bonus points if you can get them to think about how it came to be.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2010-01-21 at 08:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

......How that came into the world should not be known by man

Midrange explosives.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I thought that was the point? Similar vein vampire werewolves. If they've seen enough of the recent vampire/werewolf movies it should rattle their sensibilities just a tad.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I have a Paragon Pseudonatural Elite Advanced Half-Red Dragon Gelatinous Cube running around somewhere. He's named Anos, and is awesome.

Also, the amount of logistical nightmares involved to create him are better left unsaid...

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Lots of simulacrums. It's amazing how much fun you can have with them.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    I have a Paragon Pseudonatural Elite Advanced Half-Red Dragon Gelatinous Cube running around somewhere. He's named Anos, and is awesome.

Also, the amount of logistical nightmares involved to create him are better left unsaid...
    That seems a BIT overpowered.

Any good spells that`ll make them go "Huh?"

Midrange explosives.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Illusions, Illusions and more Illusions. Make Illusions of monsters, make monsters of illusions, make illusions of illusions, make monsters and have the party think they're illusions.
    You can never go wrong with illusions.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    That seems a BIT overpowered.

Any good spells that`ll make them go "Huh?"
    Bah! Anos was a solipsist, so he didn't really do much, other than sorta mope about.

As for spells... hahahahaha, more than you can shake a stick at. If you're not adverse to using homebrew, I offer Malygnus' Shattering Obelisk and Seven Eyes and Eyes of Wrath for your use. They've never heard of those spells. They're not really all that amazing honestly, but I like them.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I'll second illusions, and add any spells with kinda freaky effects. Prying eyes for example, bonus points here if the caster is an unusual creature or a sentient object.

11. - Top - End - #11

Yeah, I`ve created one hell of an illusion maze, anything else?

Midrange explosives.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Lots of traps, especially magical ones like symbols.

Use creatures with obscure immunities, like Swarms, Oozes, Aberrations and Ethereal/Incorporeal critters/undead.

Also, Tucker's Kobolds could be a nice change of pace for a higher-level party.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

The dancing bear

Spoiler
    Show
    The Radical Taoist's submission:
    The Dancing Bear
    Advancing cautiously, several hunters corner a bear, gripping their spears tightly and readying for the kill. All of a sudden, the roaring animal throws itself onto a handstand off its front paws, and goes into a breakdancing routine. The hunters stare in confusion as it rips their limbs off in the middle of a windmill.

Progression - Feats
    # [list=1]Barbarian 1 - Extra Rage
    # Barbarian 2
    # Rogue 1 - Whatever you want
    # Rogue 2
    # Rogue 3
    # Thief-Acrobat 1 - Dive for Cover
    # Thief-Acrobat 2
    # Thief-Acrobat 3
    # Thief-Acrobat 4 - Power Attack
    # Bear Warrior 1
    # Bear Warrior 2
    # Bear Warrior 3 - Whatever you want
    # Bear Warrior 4
    # Bear Warrior 5
    # Bear Warrior 6 - Whatever you want
    # Bear Warrior 7
    # Bear Warrior 8
    # Bear Warrior 9 - Whatever you want
    # Bear Warrior 10
    # Thief-Acrobat 5

Why it's optimized: You tell me - I've got a potent combatant and trapscout with almost completely free feat selection and can be done in any race of your choice (though I'd recommend a Human with Able Learner myself). I only chose Extra Rage so you're not stuck with one rage a day for more than half your career, and Dive for Cover since it synergizes with the Thief Acrobat's Kip Up ability to give you double the chances on all your Reflex saves. The strength bonuses available to a Bear Warrior will allow for lovely Jump and Climb checks. A go-anywhere-fight-anything build is entirely possible. The only glaring combat weaknesses are a low Will save and difficulty with DR, and there are ways around these, such as using those feats for soulmelds or ToB maneuvers (such as Mountain Hammer).

Why it's funny: Alright then, with a straight face, please envision a grizzly bear doing backflips, running Matrix-esque up walls, and jacknifing from roof to roof like Spider-Man.

Possibly a pain to stat up, but I suppose you could just distill the key abilities and leave out the rest.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Aboleths:
    They get illusory wall and image spells.

Edit: NVM, if thing wants to eat my post, that's its problem.
    Last edited by Thrawn183; 2010-01-22 at 09:07 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

I had a character once get hit by a homebrew vile type spell which made his arms and legs detach and run all over the room on there own. Had to make a will save every round to try and pull myself together. While my limbs were running around I occupied multiple squares for the purpose of being attacked and couldn't use them for anything. Fortunately I was playing an ultimate magus and could spontaneously still spells (though I needed to make concentration checks due to the distraction of phantom limb syndrome).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bowl of Living Magical Candy.

Ex: Make a table full of spells, from inflict moderate wounds, cure critical wounds, etc, to really odd stuff. Like time stop. Roll a dice every time they eat one, see what they get.

Bonus points for making hints as to what they do.

Ex: Time stop candy- "Take the time to enjoy it fully."
    Last edited by Shnezz; 2010-01-22 at 10:27 AM.
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for you are both flammable and an easy target."
    "... Sneak attack?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    The dancing bear

(...)

Possibly a pain to stat up, but I suppose you could just distill the key abilities and leave out the rest.
    Where you by any chance inspired by this? If i encountered this bear, i would really try to off him with Irresistible Dance.

Which reminds me: Irresistible Dance would be a great living spell. Just don't mix it with anything actualy dangerous, or you're risking a TPK.

Also: traps exploading with flowers; flying fishes that hold a bubble of water around them through their immense psionic powers. Oh, and read both of theese articles: 1, 2. Loads of bizzare monsters including things like Duckbunny or The Flail Snail. And beware of the Raggamoffyn!
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

18. - Top - End - #18

Ha!! That candy sounds fun! I`ll be sure to use it! Also pretty much everything that radar said! I`ll homebrew some messed up creations too.....

Midrange explosives.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    Ha!! That candy sounds fun! I`ll be sure to use it! Also pretty much everything that radar said! I`ll homebrew some messed up creations too.....
    You should check out the traps this guy makes for Kobold Quarterly magazine here. Just look at any of the Trapsmith articles at Kobold Quarterly on that page. I really like Fear the Arrow, for all you tree flinging needs.

Also lots of Dancing Tableware in the kitchen.
    Last edited by Munchkin-Masher; 2010-01-22 at 05:30 PM.
    Awesome Gnome Psion avatar by Elrond.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

An infinite hall of mirrors.

Of opposition.

See, it's neat, 'cuz half of the murderous duplicates are actually on their side.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The dancing bear

Spoiler
    Show
    The Dancing Bear
    Advancing cautiously, several hunters corner a bear, gripping their spears tightly and readying for the kill. All of a sudden, the roaring animal throws itself onto a handstand off its front paws, and goes into a breakdancing routine. The hunters stare in confusion as it rips their limbs off in the middle of a windmill.

Progression - Feats
    # Barbarian 2
    # Rogue 2
    # Rogue 3
    # Thief-Acrobat 2
    # Thief-Acrobat 3
    # Bear Warrior 1
    # Bear Warrior 2
    # Bear Warrior 4
    # Bear Warrior 5
    # Bear Warrior 7
    # Bear Warrior 8
    # Bear Warrior 10
    # Thief-Acrobat 5

Why it's optimized: You tell me - I've got a potent combatant and trapscout with almost completely free feat selection and can be done in any race of your choice (though I'd recommend a Human with Able Learner myself). I only chose Extra Rage so you're not stuck with one rage a day for more than half your career, and Dive for Cover since it synergizes with the Thief Acrobat's Kip Up ability to give you double the chances on all your Reflex saves. The strength bonuses available to a Bear Warrior will allow for lovely Jump and Climb checks. A go-anywhere-fight-anything build is entirely possible. The only glaring combat weaknesses are a low Will save and difficulty with DR, and there are ways around these, such as using those feats for soulmelds or ToB maneuvers (such as Mountain Hammer).

Why it's funny: Alright then, with a straight face, please envision a grizzly bear doing backflips, running Matrix-esque up walls, and jacknifing from roof to roof like Spider-Man.

Now I want to set up a fight between the extreme bear warrior and more tiger than you can handle. I'd link builds if I had links, but the idea is to get the most uses of the word "bear" or "tiger" as possible. Can be quite playable.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

22. - Top - End - #22

The dancing bear

Spoiler
    Show
    The Dancing Bear

Progression - Feats
    # Barbarian 2
    # Rogue 2
    # Rogue 3
    # Thief-Acrobat 2
    # Thief-Acrobat 3
    # Bear Warrior 1
    # Bear Warrior 2
    # Bear Warrior 4
    # Bear Warrior 5
    # Bear Warrior 7
    # Bear Warrior 8
    # Bear Warrior 10
    # Thief-Acrobat 5

I wonder why he doesn't just use Steadfast Endurance to cover for will saves.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I once had a half-fiend half-dragon hobgoblin pyromaniac illusionist, the explanation being a fiend was in hobgoblin form when a dragon messed with it. All his illusions involve people burning.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh yeah! The antrobear (savage species), werebear bear warrior (forget book, Complete Warrior I think) (I am forgetting something)
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2010-01-22 at 08:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I thought that was the point? Similar vein vampire werewolves. If they've seen enough of the recent vampire/werewolf movies it should rattle their sensibilities just a tad.
    dude, vampire x werewolf is hot and sexy :)
    why would anyone be rattled by that?
    do you have any idea how much vampire, werewolf, and vampire+werewolf porn there is out there?
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-01-22 at 08:56 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    dude, vampire x werewolf is hot and sexy :)
    why would anyone be rattled by that?
    do you have any idea how much vampire, werewolf, and vampire+werewolf porn there is out there?
    And all of it is done by very creepy people.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Half-Red dragon black puding. Bonus points if you can get them to think about how it came to be.
    That's simple. The red dragon shapechanges into a black pudding and then they... please pass the brain bleach.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

28. - Top - End - #28

Make their entry into the plane or the demi-plane where the BBEG is hiding the ground floor of a tower they can't climb or teleport into. Have several maps of the same size and shape prepared, and roll periodically to see if the map shifts randomly to a different floor plan. Each map has different encounters, traps, random effects, etc. Only one or two of the floor plans has a staircase up...

Just be careful not to let them get too frustrated.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    That's simple. The red dragon shapechanges into a black pudding and then they... please pass the brain bleach.
    Or the dragon polymorphed the ooze into something else.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

How about Cranium Rats? (from Planescape)

They were basically normal rats with overgrown brains that went outside their head. When in large groups they could cast as a sorcerer.

A quick google search finds me a 3.5 update for them here.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2010-01-23 at 09:27 AM.