New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Limited Book Challenge

I am considering run a campaign out of the 'Complete' book series(with access to core spells, feats and equipment), I thought it would be an interesting way to encourage my players to try some new builds.

Has anyone tried something similar? How did it go? Any suggestions?

EDIT: PHB2 might also be allowed so that Tank and Skill Monkey have some more options...
    Last edited by kentma57; 2010-01-22 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Limited Book Challenge

I actually limit my games to:

"If I don't have the book, you have to get your character approved by me."

Usually works out well, and most players will ask me what books I have and try to stay within those limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

So the classes are:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ardent
    Divine Mind
    Favored Soul
    Hexblade
    Lurk
    Ninja
    Samurai
    Scout
    Shugenja
    Spellthief
    Spirit Shaman
    Swashbuckler
    Warlock
    Warmage
    Wu Jen

The pickings for melee classes are sort of slim, especially given the innate flaws of melee. Wouldn't want to front-line for this campaign.
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2010-01-22 at 12:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Important things to be aware of:

1- You'll lack someone with skills - unless someone decides to go Spellthief.
    2- You'll lack a party face, or have an evil one (Warlock).
    3- Your melee characters will be even more gimped. (seriously, Samurai? Swashbuckler?, Ninja?!?!)
    4- You will not have a tank (you're missing your Druid, your Fighter, your Paladin. Instead, you get, nothing, to tank.)

Edit:

You could add PHB2 in, and get Beguiler (face AND skills), Knight (tank), to solve some problems.
    Last edited by Eloel; 2010-01-22 at 12:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ozgun92 View Post
    I resemble that remark! Warlocks do not have to be evil (any chaotic or evil).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I resemble that remark! Warlocks do not have to be evil (any chaotic or evil).
    Go CN, half the rogues and 3/4 of the party faces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ozgun92 View Post
    Important things to be aware of:

1- You'll lack someone with skills - unless someone decides to go Spellthief.
    3- Your melee characters will be even more gimped. (seriously, Samurai? Swashbuckler?, Ninja?!?!)
    4- You will not have a tank (you're missing your Druid, your Fighter, your Paladin. Instead, you get, nothing, to tank.)

Edit:

You could add PHB2 in, and get Beguiler (face AND skills), Knight (tank), to solve some problems.
    1.) ninja, Scout, also.
    2.) Isn't Warmage CHA-Based? (I could be wrong)
    3.) I've seen favored souls make decent frontliners, Swashbucklers, too.
    4.) Spirit Shaman has the same spells as Druid, which might help them Tank a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

8. - Top - End - #8

MonkGirl

I usually say d20srd.org but only from the core rules. Some variants from crystalkeep.com are also accepted but i tend to tell the players the answer most likely will be no (unless its an overpowered game :p)
    I have to give Paizo credit...

They took an established work and said they fixed it but didn't actually fix it and yet still made money off from it.

How can you beat that?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Adding PH2 would greatly improve player options, as beguiler, duskblade, and knight are all solid classes.

And I vote you throw in factotum, just because!
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfang108 View Post
    1.) ninja, Scout, also.
    2.) Isn't Warmage CHA-Based? (I could be wrong)
    3.) I've seen favored souls make decent frontliners, Swashbucklers, too.
    4.) Spirit Shaman has the same spells as Druid, which might help them Tank a little.
    Druids tank with their Wildshape and Animal Companion. Spirit Shamen get neither of those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

I still do want to, at some point, try a No Core game. As in, no core systems. ToB, ToM, XPH. I guess for skills and healing you could throw in MoI and CPsi (for Ardent and Lurk).

Effectively it's just "no Vancian magic" plus "leave out the uninteresting melee approaches", but it could still be fairly interesting.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    I still do want to, at some point, try a No Core game. As in, no core systems. ToB, ToM, XPH. I guess for skills and healing you could throw in MoI and CPsi (for Ardent and Lurk).

Effectively it's just "no Vancian magic" plus "leave out the uninteresting melee approaches", but it could still be fairly interesting.
    Hmm. That could work, except for the fact that your 3 'arcane' classes would be binder, shadowcaster, and truenamer. Shadowcaster's decent, I guess. It would be a challenging campaign.
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Allow ToB, too. That gets you actual melee and a combat-focused skillmonkey.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliomancer View Post
    Hmm. That could work, except for the fact that your 3 'arcane' classes would be binder, shadowcaster, and truenamer. Shadowcaster's decent, I guess. It would be a challenging campaign.
    That's what XPH is for. Honestly, Binder is plenty for the spoooooky wizard angle. Let your psions be the party "arcanists".

(If I did this, I'd probably do some reworking of the various PrCs with arcane or divine casting to see if they could work with psionics instead, though. Noctumentat, Jade Phoenix Psychic, etc.)