New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: werewolves?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default werewolves?

what are werewolves in dnd and how can you become one?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: werewolves?

Well, in 3.5 they are technically medium humanoids with the Shapechanger subtype. You can be a werewolf either by being bitten by one and failing a DC15 fort save or by being born to one (Afflicted Lycanthrope and natural lycanthrope, respectively). Naturals are more powerful than afflicted lycanthropes, and afflicted ones can't spread lycanthropy.

For more info, see the SRD's entry on Lycanthropes

*Edit*

For 4th edition, I'm afraid I have no clue how it works. I'm sure someone around here does, though.
    Last edited by Fendalus; 2010-01-22 at 04:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Fendalus View Post
    For 4th edition, I'm afraid I have no clue how it works. I'm sure someone around here does, though.
    In 4e: they're monsters and NPCs. Only. Period. No you can't become one. No, not even then.

You can be a Longtooth Shifter, which is similar to a diluted Werewolf, but you can't be a real werewolf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

4. - Top - End - #4

If you're eager to play as a were-creature, I'd just use a shifter. It might have changed in 4th Edition (since I havn't seen their rules in that version) but in 3.5 they're pretty much just the Diet-Coke* of lycanthropes, having less raw power but without the LA.

Then again, they come from the Races of Ebberon book, most of the creatures within are just Diet-Coke Monsters (Changlings are just Dopplegangers made into a player race with no LA and Warforged are just golems made into player race with no LA).

*Note, I'm not meaning this in a negative way. In fact, I prefer Diet Coke to normal Coke strangly

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

cool thanks for the info, didnt realize it was in the srd

6. - Top - End - #6

The rules are a bit ambigious about how lycanthropy works for players, since the minimum lycanthrope ECL adjustment(an afflicted) would have +2 LA. Presumably, you spend your next 2 levels paying for it, which suggests that you could become a lycanthrope the day before a large battle in order to get a power boost, and then be cured afterwards.

Hmm. I might try this in Red Hand of Doom, if I can find one.
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Don't forget you also have to add the animal's Hit Dice to your ECL as well.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2010-01-22 at 05:48 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Don't forget you also have to add the animal's Hit Dice as well.
    Not for afflicted lycanthropes. (Because you also don't gain their extra HP, or only gain them in animal form).

Again, the wording's ambiguous.
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliomancer View Post
    Not for afflicted lycanthropes. (Because you also don't gain their extra HP, or only gain them in animal form).

Again, the wording's ambiguous.
    No. You get the animal Hit Dice, they always count. Which ever form you're in they're still there
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

10. - Top - End - #10

My mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

That means that you can gain an effective +4 to ECL from becoming a werewolf. And the effect is fully reversible.

Still an interesting temporary enhancement, if you can find a werewolf.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliomancer View Post
    My mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

That means that you can gain an effective +4 to ECL from becoming a werewolf. And the effect is fully reversible.

Still an interesting temporary enhancement, if you can find a werewolf.
    There's also the issue that once you start seeking out lycanthropes to turn you and start using it you're pretty much sure to wind up CE and chances are you won't want to get rid of it after you get it.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fendalus View Post
    Well, in 3.5 they are technically medium humanoids with the Shapechanger subtype.
    Or giants! Yay, troll werewolf! Stone giant werewolf hulking hurler! But monstrous humanoids are out, for some reason.