New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default do clerics actually get to cast arcane spells for free?

I noticed some people saying that identify is free if cast by a cleric, since it is "arcane material component" and whenever casting a spell that is wizard/cleric the cleric gets to not use the component...

This just doesn't seem right to me... it can't be true, can it?
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: do clerics actually get to cast arcane spells for free?

I'm 95% sure that's true. Clerics don't require arcane spell components.
    HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO TYPE LIKE THIS?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by josh13905 View Post
    I'm 95% sure that's true. Clerics don't require arcane spell components.
    I'm 98.473% sure.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

They wouldn't make it only an arcane component if it was a divine one. There would be no reason for the distinction.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Um, Identify isn't a Cleric spell. It is a Magic domain spell, but many Clerics don't have the Magic domain ... and it's Level 2 for them. The lack of a 100-gp cost is probably the main reason it's a higher-level spell for Magic Clerics than for Wizards.

Same way Psionic Identify is a Level 2 power.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

It says "arcane spell component" for a reason. Free identification won't ruin your game. Free Continual Flame or Stoneskin might, though, which is why clerics don't waive those material components.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

well, wizards need analyze dweomer, which is a level 6 spell and takes a 1500gp focus.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/AnalyzeDweomer.htm

It would seem reasonable to me that it was an unintended omission...
    As expensive arcane components are only found on arcane only spells. Spells shared between clerics and wizards have a material component that isn't arcane.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneskin.htm

It seemed to be an intended piece of fluffs... wizards use free components, clerics use a divine focus instead. But when the component has value AND it is a spell available to clerics it is always listed a material component, not arcane material component.

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    It says "arcane spell component" for a reason. Free identification won't ruin your game. Free Continual Flame or Stoneskin might, though, which is why clerics don't waive those material components.
    My thought is, that they don't have those because those are cleric spells to begin with... clerics with the spell domain get access to a lot of spells that normally require a material component.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-01-22 at 07:54 PM.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    It would seem reasonable to me that it was an unintended omission...
    As expensive arcane components are only found on arcane only spells.
    Forcecage.
    Arcane Lock.
    Magic Mouth
    Phantom Trap.
    Sepia Snake Sigil.
    Illusory Script.
    Simulacrum.
    Instant Summons.
    Wall of Iron.
    Circle of Death.
    Tenser's Transformation.

All of these are labeled as just "material component" for these expensive components. All are arcane-only spells. Therefore, adding the word "arcane" to the material component line is no omission.

Clerics can cast Identify for free. Clerics with the Oracle domain can sell wands of Identify for 750 gp each. Anybody with an Artificer's Monocle can reproduce Identify with a simple Detect Magic. Paying 100 gold per identification is dead; let us feast on its cow meat.
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2010-01-22 at 08:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

thanks for the clarification...
    this does seem like a raw deal to wizards. and a pretty odd and obscure rule at that.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I agree that it is an odd distinction suggesting that clerics don't need to pay it. And since a 2nd level scroll costs 125 gp more than a 1st level scroll, it's not all that imba nor game breaking. Not to mention it takes a cleric of a certain domain... not all that common and quite a build price just for free identifies.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-01-22 at 08:08 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Dude, they're wizards. They just get their chump friend to do it, use the aforementioned Wands of Identify (wands don't distinguish between arcane/divine), or use an Artificer's Monocle.

Another spell like Identify is False Vision. Clerics with the Trickery domain can cast False Vision without the expensive 250-gp spell component. In the Spell Compendium, there is a spell called Wall of Good/Evil/Chaos/Law, which costs 25 gp for an arcanist to cast, but none for a cleric.

12. - Top - End - #12

Identify is on the spell list for the Cloistered Cleric.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    yes, and as a level 1 spell. I am playing a cloistered cleric actually, this is how this came up.
    I will just enjoy my free identifies at level 1 :P

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Hmmm. Well, I guess this just goes to strengthen the guideline, "Any round the Wizard casts a spell that is on the Cleric spell list, that Wizard is a chump for that round."
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

A loremaster also gets free IDs.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I noticed some people saying that identify is free if cast by a cleric, since it is "arcane material component" and whenever casting a spell that is wizard/cleric the cleric gets to not use the component...

As has been pointed out:
    Partially accurate. There are a great many spells on both the Cleric and Wizard lists that require expensive components for both; for instance, just grabbing some from the SRD:

Animate Dead
    Astral Projection
    Continual Flame
    Create Undead (and it's Greater sibling)
    The Entire Symbol line

There are quite a few spells that differentiate between the two, such as Identify. It's a case-by-case basis.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, and its also true that the smart wizards identify their magic items with 0th level slots after about L5 or so. Artificer's Googles, 1.5k from the MiC.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Yes, and its also true that the smart wizards identify their magic items with 0th level slots after about L5 or so. Artificer's Googles, 1.5k from the MiC.
    Bear in mind: Not all DM's permit all sources. Not having access to the source book of the item does not make a given Wizard a not-smart wizard.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

also it costs 1500gp... its better to be in a party with a cleric that has it for free...

or summon an animal that gets it as an SLA.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Also keep in mind that Wizards get certain divine spells for free. Primarily through use of the Heart line from CMage.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    It says "arcane spell component" for a reason. Free identification won't ruin your game.
    Which is good, considering it's available for arcanists via a loremaster dip, or dropping 750 gold on a magic monocle from MiC.

Yeah, most of the omitted components are frankly just not a big deal.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I for one will be houseruling to prevent any horrific Identify abuse.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Anything with M/DF in the component list doesn't use the material if you're casting it as a divine spell. Likewise F/DF means that if you're casting it as divine, you don't have to use the (often expensive) arcane focus.

There are divine spells that do have materials or foci, though.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Free Identify won't break the game. I've seen DMs simply allow detect magic to identify items and not seen it break a game.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Ah but you're missing out on so much fun if you don't tempt players into risky experimentation.

Oh, ftw, analyze dweomer also allows free super identify except for the initial cost of a 1,500 gp focus. But it's a 6th level spell.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Ah but you're missing out on so much fun if you don't tempt players into risky experimentation.

Oh, ftw, analyze dweomer also allows free super identify except for the initial cost of a 1,500 gp focus. But it's a 6th level spell.
    That's easy. If you enjoy cursed items, just go by the guide that 50% of the time, cursed items identify as beneficial items.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRivers View Post
    That's easy. If you enjoy cursed items, just go by the guide that 50% of the time, cursed items identify as beneficial items.
    Actually, it's 1% chance per caster level for Identify to tell you an item is actually cursed. Which is so low as to be worthless most of the time.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

how many people actually play out the identify in full... as in, it takes several casts to fully identify an item, the chances of finding out its cursed are extremely low, etc...
    Or do people just say "you cast identify, you know what it is"

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Also keep in mind that Wizards get certain divine spells for free. Primarily through use of the Heart line from CMage.
    what now? how does that work?
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-01-23 at 09:01 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Bear in mind: Not all DM's permit all sources. Not having access to the source book of the item does not make a given Wizard a not-smart wizard.
    And a smart-core only wizard goes into Loremaster as Wizard 10/Loremaster 10 is a LOT better.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    And a smart-core only wizard goes into Loremaster as Wizard 10/Loremaster 10 is a LOT better.
    swap some of those wizards levels with archmage to be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    that is funny...

Wizard, Sorcerer, or Bard Focus
    A mirror of finely wrought and highly polished silver costing not less than 1,000 gp. The mirror must be at least 2 feet by 4 feet.

Cleric Focus
    A holy water font costing not less than 100 gp.

Druid Focus
    A natural pool of water.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-01-23 at 10:28 AM.