New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Challenge Rating

My friend's planning on running a campaign featuring the 2 hero PCs facing off against 4 villainous PCs. If the heroes are level 8, what level should the villains be to be equal?
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Challenge Rating

Probably 4-6, depending on what classes the hero PC's are and what classes the villainous PC are.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xKayos View Post
    My friend's planning on running a campaign featuring the 2 hero PCs facing off against 4 villainous PCs. If the heroes are level 8, what level should the villains be to be equal?
    Doubling the number of creatures increases the CR by two, I believe. So two CR 8 PCs are EL 10, as are four CR 6 PCs. Of course, that involves trusting the CR system of the DMG.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

According to the official math of the CR system, 4 level 6 characters should be an even match for 2 level 8 characters. This may or may not be accurate, depending on how optimized each of the characters is.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

By "a match for", read: "good odds they will not win and your campaign ends right there."

As others have said, two level eights are roughly equivalent to four level sixes. This doesn't mean you should throw four level six enemies at them. It means you should treat them like they were a full party of ECL 6, and be throwing CR 5-8 encounters at them. Four level six enemies would be a CR 10 encounter, which falls under "Overpowering" by the DMG standards. This is a helpful tool when working these things out.

....also note that some things are significantly over- or under-CR'd, and that the gap becomes bigger when the team is understaffed. NPC Humanoid Fighters tend to just die regardless of their theoretical CR, while several monsters (That Damn Crab, anyone?) can be functionally far more dangerous than their CR suggests.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

They're all PCs. Planning for one side to be weaker is a poor idea.

Planning this in the first place is a bad idea, but eh.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Also don't forget... humans can be tricky therefor just cause a villain PC is lvl 5 and the PC is level 10 doesn't automatically mean the lvl 10 will win. I'm guessing the VPC's will be able to trap the PC's ad will have some sort of advantage?

I've seen a PvP fight where a lvl 5 monk took out a lvl 9 fighter (no magic items but they had masterwork weapons) mainly because the person with the monk used more things to his advantage (skills, feats, landscape) than the lvl 9 fighter.
    I have to give Paizo credit...

They took an established work and said they fixed it but didn't actually fix it and yet still made money off from it.

How can you beat that?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post

....also note that some things are significantly over- or under-CR'd, and that the gap becomes bigger when the team is understaffed. NPC Humanoid Fighters tend to just die regardless of their theoretical CR, while several monsters (That Damn Crab, anyone?) can be functionally far more dangerous than their CR suggests.
    Where was that damn crab? I seem to remember it having a page on WotC.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myou View Post
    Where was that damn crab? I seem to remember it having a page on WotC.
    Right here.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Or let the heroes control 2 each.

4 vs 4 is fair.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

If you are going to set PC vs PC then you should switch your system over to 4e. The system is more well rounded and setting the game will be much easier. Just make everyone the same level but different classes and things should be fine... maybe :3 some things may need the kinks fixed lol
    I have to give Paizo credit...

They took an established work and said they fixed it but didn't actually fix it and yet still made money off from it.

How can you beat that?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

As the friend in question I thank you for your help. i am going with four level 6 characters, the campaign in question is in my sig if you are interested

I considered 4e but the last time I offered to run a 4e campaign people were jerks to me because I said "core only" so no more, not for a while at least.
    No matter what you do, no matter what you say I will always love you. For you are human and in you is beauty and I am vain.