New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Dming Ravnica

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Dming Ravnica

I decided I was going to have my D&D based in MTG's multiverse, Ravnica...

The setting will be primarily be in the city and the main plot line is a mystery...

Any tips to follow or pitfalls to avoid?
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dming Ravnica

I'd think the political climate in Ravnica will be rather similar to Eberron's---namely, almost everything is run by a bunch of powerful guilds. It's just a lot stronger in Ravnica since the guilds pretty much control everything. They ARE the government.

Question though---"primarily in the city?" Isn't the entire plane a city?

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

I suggest you draw some ideas from Cityscape for this (if you haven't already.)

Also, try to tie very thematic casters to each of the guilds. For example, House Dimir and the Orzhov are likely to have Shadowcasters/Noctumancers in the ranks, while the Golgari are likely going to have the most necromancers, and the Azorius/Boros will have the most abjuration.

Will the players start belonging to guilds, or will they be unaffiliated? This will change their in-character knowledge about the inner-workings of Ravnica.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I had a friend try to do this a while back, but it failed. :/

Anyway. Any casters should be whatever the super-ultra-focused variant is, because now you have to imagine magic in terms of color (no, not octarine). Wielders of White magic probably don't like wielders of Black, etc etc.

Are they going to end up as the Boros policemen, like Argus Kos? That'd be nice, to have them run into him.

Erm, other than that...treat Ravnica as an Anti-Sigil. Rather, that you have a lot of diverse population, but no one leaves. There are no portals. Which reminds me, traveling magic should either be refluffed or fail. Actually, anything utilizing another plane for its function pretty much can't work ever, thanks to their Pact.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Erm, other than that...treat Ravnica as an Anti-Sigil. Rather, that you have a lot of diverse population, but no one leaves. There are no portals. Which reminds me, traveling magic should either be refluffed or fail. Actually, anything utilizing another plane for its function pretty much can't work ever, thanks to their Pact.
    While I agree to this, I hasten to add that transitive planes (Shadow, Ethereal, Astral) should be accessible, particularly by Dimir (the sneaky house.) Just don't make any other planes coterminous other than the Material.

Note: You will also likely need the Ghostwalk supplement, it fits Ravnica like a glove.

Psionics and ToB should be allowed.

Who do Clerics worship? Perhaps the Paruns can grant spells (Certainly Rakdos, Razia and the Syndicate should be able to), or maybe the Guildpact itself. The Nephilim definitely should be allowed to do so as well.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

It's worth noting that if you pick the time period where the Ravnica-block takes place, the plane is getting effed up thanks to the sundering of Dominaria. So yeah, it's mentioned to manifest as dead souls not being able to pass away.

Dominaria is sort of the Astral Plane of the mythos (not literally; the AEther is the true Astral Plane); the other planes connect through it and it getting ****ed up really screws up the connections. So yeah, as Optimystik said, Ghostwalk is a perfect option.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Are they going to end up as the Boros policemen, like Argus Kos? That'd be nice, to have them run into him.
    Super hyper nitpick: his name is actually Agrus Kos. Argus Kos is me.

Also, I fully support this course of action. I thought about doing something similar once, but never really did so, since translating it perfectly would be too much work. I do recommend that most of guilds have a "casting" focus, so that when a dude comes along and throws a fireball at you, you know he's either Boros, Izzet, or Gruul, etc.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post

Also, I fully support this course of action. I thought about doing something similar once, but never really did so, since translating it perfectly would be too much work. I do recommend that most of guilds have a "casting" focus, so that when a dude comes along and throws a fireball at you, you know he's either Boros, Izzet, or Gruul, etc.
    Guild-aligned magic could be easy to do by colors, but I think it's more interesting by what the guild stands for. Colors I think would look like:

Green: Transmutation
    Blue: Divination
    White: Abjuration
    Red: Evocation
    Black: Necromancy

In MTGVerse, everyone "needs" access to Conjuration (well, it needs to be an universal school anyways since very color has representatives with such capabilities) since everyone has the capability to summon creatures of the appropriate types. Other aspects of Conjuration, particularly Fogs, feel Green while Teleportation feels Blue. Abjuration is also a bit weird; Dispel-effects are absolutely blue while white has the protection.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-25 at 01:55 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Advice: Campaign Journal
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not to mention that only Planeswalkers can plane-shift (unless that's changed by the time Ravnica block happens; I haven't kept up with the story past Onslaught block very well).
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Rage.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhenry4000 View Post
    Not to mention that only Planeswalkers can plane-shift (unless that's changed by the time Ravnica block happens; I haven't kept up with the story past Onslaught block very well).
    No, at that point it's only Planeswalkers who can 'shift. The issue is that the last 'walkers left before the Pact was written, and subsequently cannot return thanks to it shutting down all interplanar travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    While I agree to this, I hasten to add that transitive planes (Shadow, Ethereal, Astral) should be accessible, particularly by Dimir (the sneaky house.) Just don't make any other planes coterminous other than the Material.
    Well...yeah, okay. I could understand those. But I don't actually remember anyone Teleporting. Blinking, maybe. Shadow Walking, sure. But actual factual Teleport? I don't think so.
    Last edited by Deth Muncher; 2010-01-25 at 01:58 PM.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wasn't there a thread here in the playground that dealt with a MtG conversion of 3.5? That might be a good place to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I've actually been writing a full-on MtG supplement for 3.5. It's coming along slowly-ish, but I've got a lot done, including the Planeswalker base class, over 250 spells for said class, 19 prestige classes (including the 10 guildmages from Ravnica), and a handful of monsters. I plan on posting all of it on the homebrew forum here once it's in a more complete state.

I'm trying to keep things as true to MtG as possible while also making things fit in well with D&D, and I think it's coming along well as do my players that are playtesting it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a miniature and heavily dated pdf for a Ravnica Campaign Setting. Not very detailed, but I'll get it up when I return to my main computer.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Well...yeah, okay. I could understand those. But I don't actually remember anyone Teleporting. Blinking, maybe. Shadow Walking, sure. But actual factual Teleport? I don't think so.
    I didn't say anything about Teleport, did i?

A Caveat to this - not every mage in the city belongs to one of the guilds. The druids especially are guilty of this (The Cult of Yore hates Selesnya and Simic equally.) There's also illusions - The Dimir would love it if "anyone throwing a fireball must be Boros, Izzet or Gruul," because that would make it easy for them to do their thing, toss a fake fireball and frame one of the others.

It might take a bit of work, but the OP's best bet is assigning each spell to a guild or guilds that fit it thematically.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Adventure hooks:

1) Asked by an Izzet Magewright to test a prototype invention.

2) Contracted to persuade/force a group of Gruul squatters out of a patch of land zoned for rebuilding.

3) Hired as security by an Orzhov businessman who fears retribution from a dissatisfied customer.

4) The party is in the Undercity, where they encounter a mob of Deadwalkers terrorizing the populace.

5) Asked to assist in a Selesnya volunteer effort to assist the guildless in a slum district.

6) Hired to hunt and capture an escaped Simic experiment, preferably captured alive.

7) Rakdos uprising! Help fight off the kill-guilders, or hunker down until the coast is clear.

Other goals could be enlisting with the Leage of Wojek, or trying to work your way into an audience with Niv-Mizzet. Maybe approached by a Dimir agent into doing some under-cover work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    1 plat = 10 gold.
    1 gold = 10 silver
    1 silver = 10 cp
    1 cp = Federal Prison For Life.