New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] What is 1 LA?

I already know that CR is incredibly wonky and a loose guideline at best, but what constitutes a single LA? When I'm building my custome leveled races I usually just evenly intersperce the stat boosts and whatnot, so it hasn't really been an issue yet considering that all the races have had preset LAs, but given that I'm planning to work on some custom races it's kind of important.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [3.5] What is 1 LA?

Quote Originally Posted by Akushin Oka View Post
    I already know that CR is incredibly wonky and a loose guideline at best, but what constitutes a single LA? When I'm building my custome leveled races I usually just evenly intersperce the stat boosts and whatnot, so it hasn't really been an issue yet considering that all the races have had preset LAs, but given that I'm planning to work on some custom races it's kind of important.
    If WotC knew that, we wouldn't have Lolth-Touched and White Dragonspawn.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

You'll have to eye it. Generally, you have to be careful with ability bonuses over +2, and penalties (other than Constitution) don't really balance against those bonuses.

A drow could maybe be LA +1.

Really, you have to eyeball it.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-01-25 at 09:13 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

*sighs*

Y'know, you'd think a mathematical determination as what constitutes as a level would be important, but noooo... lets just wing it!

I love DnD, I really do... but why is it so determinedly STUPID!?

Maybe I'll just do it in RHD, treat it like a proper class.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Generally speaking, if the overall stat modifiers are positive and add up to +4 or less, that's worth +1 LA. This usually comes with a spell-like, minor resistance, and/or some miscellaneous skill bonuses. Bear in mind that INT and STR tend to be weighed a little more heavily. Look at what orcs must give up for their +4 STR.

Of course, unique special abilities are hard to judge and require careful consideration to balance with LA.

http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Races.pdf

Type 'Level Adjustment +1' into the search field and take a look through the races with LA +1. This may help give you some idea.

Edit:
    Y'know, you'd think a mathematical determination as what constitutes as a level would be important, but noooo... lets just wing it!
    It's difficult to sum up the value of unique abilities.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-01-25 at 09:21 PM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

6. - Top - End - #6

*sighs*

I love DnD, I really do... but why is it so determinedly STUPID!?

Maybe I'll just do it in RHD, treat it like a proper class.
    Because it's so customizable, everything has different applications. That makes it impossible to create a consistent calculation for LA.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    You'll have to eye it. Generally, you have to be careful with ability bonuses over +2, and penalties (other than Constitution) don't really balance against those bonuses.

A drow could maybe be LA +1.

Really, you have to eyeball it.
    Drow could definitely be LA +1, though at lower level play they can be quite powerful. This is part of the problem. Many of the LA 'calculations' are based on abilities that do not scale or at least do not offer any substantial benefit at higher levels.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Hobgoblins, lol.

(That is the extent of my contribution.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, subquestion then: whats the difference (in terms of how much goodies I can stuff into each one) between a RHD and an LA? Or are LA mainly so you can create critters with shiny powers without them being too hard to stab?

ENBY

10. - Top - End - #10

DrowGuy

Some ideas. I'd go for drow at +1 LA. And if they are a bit powerful for that then drop the SR as I've never heard of it mattering (really any EL appropriate caster will beat this). I'd personally prefer seeing LA races giving reduced hd, bab, and skills. Even if this increases the total LA. In LM there are undead classes and I can't remember how these were affected but they do add the above items.

11. - Top - End - #11

Alright, subquestion then: whats the difference (in terms of how much goodies I can stuff into each one) between a RHD and an LA? Or are LA mainly so you can create critters with shiny powers without them being too hard to stab?
    RHD are a way to give something "mini class levels," essentially. The hit points, skill points, saves, BAB, feats, etc. All level-related things. They're better than LA, so be careful with that.

You can buy off LA.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I think LA should be not static.
    It should be by archetype.

Like a Drow is +0 unless a spellcaster (this includes any caster class even 1/2 like Pally) than +1.

So for a melee dude like Barbarian/Fighter: they are LA +0 (nothing they have will be too much a benefit).

If a melee dude Drow later picks up a Spellcaster class than LA increases to reflect that.

But that would be a perfect world.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Hey, feel free to come up with the perfect formula that lets you precisely quantify exactly how useful something is, if you think it's so easy.

Not that the difficulty of assessing usefulness fully accounts for the disparity between equal-cost options in D&D 3.5. As you may have noticed, they pretty much didn't really care all that much about game balance. The classes and feats plainly aren't all balanced against each other, and they were designed to be used by players. Letting players play monsters was an afterthought.

Adding hit dice to a race, all else held equal, lowers its LA. (Except maybe not for extra pimp HD like Dragon or Outsider, which are as good as levels in some classes.) Level Adjustments are, theoretically, for creatures more powerful than characters of their hit dice.

Several aspects of the game would function more smoothly if everything were designed to have CR = HD = ECL. Deviating from that isn't even just problematic for monster characters. There are, gods help us, spells that let you transform into or control creatures below some number of hit dice.

Building each of your custom races like a LA +0 race and X-level class, where X is the number of racial hit dice, would probably be a good idea. That would help to keep them in line with the 0 HD, LA +0 humanoids that serve as the power baseline.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

A good thing to do is to compare the race to Humans and Dwarves. If the race is more powerful than those two races, it's for certain a LA +1.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    A good thing to do is to compare the race to Humans and Dwarves. If the race is more powerful than those two races, it's for certain a LA +1.
    But by those standards Hobgoblins are LA +0.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    But by those standards Hobgoblins are LA +0.
    And they probably should be.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

A while ago (maybe 2-3 years) someone made a fairly detailed, and quite handy "point buy system" for building custom races over at the official Wizards D&D forums. Various features (size, darkvision etc.), ability mods and such were added up to determine probable LA. I can't remeber his name, and with the upheaval of the WotC forums recently, I'm not sure if I can find a link...

...here we go: YabaTheWhat's feature point system

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

...yes, that too. It's in my sig, you'd think I would have remembered.

20. - Top - End - #20

Unless you're creating a whole new creature type (humanoid, ooze, construct, animal, outisder) you don't get to stuff goodies into RHD. Racial hit dice are, as I think was mentioned above, like mini-class levels.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typessubtypes.htm

As an example, an 8HD animal will have:
    8d8 (plus 8xcon modifier, of course) hp
    +6 Base Attack Bonus
    Fortitude +6, Reflex +6, Will +2
    Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier) x 11
    And +2 bonus points to apply to ability scores

This is in addition to any unique abilities the creature will have like a wolf's ability to trip.

LA is mainly for balancing monster powers with PCs. This is why you will notice that many creatures have disparate values for CR and LA.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-01-26 at 09:58 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

LA 1 is wizards' way of inflicting it's own randomness on our world.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

For most high LA/high RHD creatures, you can safely drop a lot of those and they'd still be balanced. For example, the standard Erinyes is an ECL 16 creature. How the heck would one be effective as a standard adventurer within a level 16 party?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Yet possibly not strong enough to merit LA+1. The various planetouched seem to fall into this dilemma.

I think what we can do is find good examples of races worth their LA. For example, I feel goliath could be the gold standard by which other LA+1 races should be gauged. Maybe half-ogre for LA+2 and a slightly revised half-dragon (cleaned up with savage progression allowed) for +3?

Don't bother about balancing them with casters in mind. Those have to offer heck of a bonus to compensate slower spell progression.
    Last edited by Runestar; 2010-01-26 at 10:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

My personal rule for LA +1.....

Ability score bonuses should total either +4 or +6. Any less is insulting, and any more is probably going to be unfair. If you're going with the +6, there should be some sort of split between physical and mental (like the Catfolk's +4 Dex / +2 Cha). Either way, no more than +4 to a single stat.

Aside from the ability scores, the rest should be roughly on par with three to five normal feats. An "open" feat that they can actually choose, or something particularly synergistic, is worth double. You could have a good bonus to four skills and a small natural armor boost, or a medium natural armor boost and lowlight vision and "Hold Breath", or a free bonus feat and a decent swim speed.
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2010-01-26 at 11:03 PM.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    Yet possibly not strong enough to merit LA+1. The various planetouched seem to fall into this dilemma.

I think what we can do is find good examples of races worth their LA. For example, I feel goliath could be the gold standard by which other LA+1 races should be gauged. Maybe half-ogre for LA+2 and a slightly revised half-dragon (cleaned up with savage progression allowed) for +3?

Don't bother about balancing them with casters in mind. Those have to offer heck of a bonus to compensate slower spell progression.
    I'd take a human over the planetouched for most builds tbh.

26. - Top - End - #26

I'd take a human over the planetouched for most builds tbh.
    With or without the LA?

obnoxious
    sig

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Exactly. Tieflings would make ideal rogues at LA+0, while the aasimar would go some way towards alleviating the paladin's MAD. Outsider traits is nice as well, not least because it gives a tiefling rogue free martial weapon proficiency (as well as autoqualifying a spellcaster for abjurant champion).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    Exactly. Tieflings would make ideal rogues at LA+0, while the aasimar would go some way towards alleviating the paladin's MAD. Outsider traits is nice as well, not least because it gives a tiefling rogue free martial weapon proficiency (as well as autoqualifying a spellcaster for abjurant champion).
    I prefer to give up being outsider to lower the LA.. But I have read you can take a feat that will make you an outsider so you could just be a lesser one, pay a feat and be exactly like the regular version, minus the LA and first level feat..

Otherworldly! The discussion.
    Last edited by Sliver; 2010-01-27 at 09:24 AM.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    With or without the LA?

obnoxious
    sig
    Without.

The original design philosophy behind LA almost seemed to be, "if you would ever take this over one of the core races for one of the core classes, give it a level adjustment" when it should really be, "if you would always take this over one of the core races, give it a level adjustment."

Relative to Humans, Aasimar make superior paladins and equal clerics, sorcerers, druids and bards with no LA assuming moderate-low optimization and 28 PB. As point buy, high rolls or optimization increases, Aasimar lowers in favor.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2010-01-27 at 09:38 AM.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

This is what I love most about 4e - Humans are still good at every class, but are no longer the kneejerk choice for every single one.

Also, LA-less Aasimar (Devas), Tieflings, Drow and Genasi, ftw.