New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5; Class] The Cerebral Stalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor
    Thanks, I think I will take out UMD, it's not that important to the class and it would give rogues a leg up. Also, mind strike actually does work against enemies immune to precision damage as long as they fail a will save.
    Damn, forgot to correct the post. But there's still immunity to mind-affecting. And besides, it's good that they get another set of combat options - UMD took out a lot.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but Use Psionic Device might not be a bad replacement; after all, less items usually are psionic in nature, but being a psionic character and all, it makes sense that these guys might have it.

Also, what's so wrong about hitting a solid Tier 3 ?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX
    Yeah, but Use Psionic Device might not be a bad replacement; after all, less items usually are psionic in nature, but being a psionic character and all, it makes sense that these guys might have it.
    UPD fails to differ from UMD in being a huge list of traps, and still potentially overpowering any rogue that doesn't go straight for broken spells (which is crap for multiple reasons). Also, putting actual class features makes it more distinct from other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX
    Also, what's so wrong about hitting a solid Tier 3 ?
    Please use terminology that starts to make sense. The original complaint (that I agree with) was that it was blatantly better than the rogue at its own niche, with the latter being a rather fine class. Taking UMD out and replacing it with class features is a better way to be more distinctive and doesn't risk either overpoweredness or the opposite.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fail View Post
    UPD fails to differ from UMD in being a huge list of traps, and still potentially overpowering any rogue that doesn't go straight for broken spells (which is crap for multiple reasons). Also, putting actual class features makes it more distinct from other classes.

Please use terminology that starts to make sense. The original complaint (that I agree with) was that it was blatantly better than the rogue at its own niche, with the latter being a rather fine class. Taking UMD out and replacing it with class features is a better way to be more distinctive and doesn't risk either overpoweredness or the opposite.
    Fail. Fitting. Please familiarize yourself with the Tier system. It's something that does get bandied around here quite frequently, more regularly on the RPG board but here as well by likes of CharOps.

Rogues fail at their job because there are classes that do it better. Factotum, for example, does the rogue's job and does it far better. In this case, the Cerebral Stalker does the rogue's job better as well. Is this a fault of the Cerebral Stalker or the Factotum? No, it's a fault of the rogue. And that's why it's a lower Tier class. Taking things away from a class that fits for the class's designed role is just plain silly, especially when you use a class that is blatantly worse than it as a reason.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Fail. Fitting. Please familiarize yourself with the Tier system. It's something that does get bandied around here quite frequently, more regularly on the RPG board but here as well by likes of CharOps.
    I know it. Better than you do. Because I can see it's retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Rogues fail at their job because there are classes that do it better. Factotum, for example, does the rogue's job and does it far better. In this case, the Cerebral Stalker does the rogue's job better as well. Is this a fault of the Cerebral Stalker or the Factotum? No, it's a fault of the rogue. And that's why it's a lower Tier class. Taking things away from a class that fits for the class's designed role is just plain silly, especially when you use a class that is blatantly worse than it as a reason.
    JaronK's argument's that factotums are awesome because polymorph. Seriously. Go listen to some better counsel. Also: the game doesn't need anyone to have staffs/dorjes of pretty much every broken spell/power and deal 100d6 damage (conservatively)/round (for the record, that's a rogue - so much for "failing at their job"). Or, alternatively, be useless. That's life with UMD, and JaronK's seems to not notice.
    Last edited by Fail; 2010-01-29 at 12:10 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Gentlemen, several things.

1. There's already a thread about the Tiers going on right here, over in Roleplaying games. Take it there, please, not in Vaynor's class PEACH thread.

2. JaronK is a poster here, it's probably best to not directly insult him in a medium such as this, and it IS a punishable offense on these boards. Let's not see anyone get smacked for something like that.

3. So, yes, removing UMD is a good idea. Replacing it with UPD is also a good idea, helps with class be more distinctive, which is a good thing.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

At Arg's request, this post has been reduced to its core element:
    Frowny Face.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-01-29 at 12:19 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

As for 1 & 2: I'll be happier to see this retardation going out than you, trust me. Anyone actually interested in discussing the comparison of the two classes, please do so.

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    3. So, yes, removing UMD is a good idea. Replacing it with UPD is also a good idea, helps with class be more distinctive, which is a good thing.
    No, it makes the class less distinctive than writing a couple extra class features.

Me, "goading X": you sure you read that correctly?

Also, rogues are awesome with little work. This class doesn't need to be better with any amount of work. And doesn't need to touch the point where either rogues or factotums are broken, or the point where either is useless. That's called "give the class the features that do what it needs, period", instead of hiding behind horrendous skill/item design and hoping it works.
    Last edited by Fail; 2010-01-29 at 12:22 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Write the class features then, plox?
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Write the class features then, plox?
    This. I can't really think of any more class features that would fit the class. Fail, if you have some more brilliant ideas, please, share.

Also, rogues are awesome with little work. This class doesn't need to be better with any amount of work. And doesn't need to touch the point where either rogues or factotums are broken, or the point where either is useless. That's called "give the class the features that do what it needs, period", instead of hiding behind horrendous skill/item design and hoping it works.
    If you'd like to give some constructive criticism rather than resorting to ad hominem attacks, please do. Otherwise, well, don't.

I'd prefer not to get my thread locked because of a pretty ridiculous argument that has little to do with my class.
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2010-01-29 at 12:26 AM.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

No, it makes the class less distinctive than writing a couple extra class features.
    Tell me how many non-manifesting classes have Use Psionic Device on their class lists. I can think of only two.

Giving a psionic-flavored class Use Psionic Device seems to be a thematic idea that really isn't a nerf. Seems fair enough to me. It's not like UPD is BAD.

Also, totally off-topic, but Fail, every time I see your username in a sentence, I just giggle uncontrollably. That was probably the idea, and it's working.

Extraspecial also, Doc, your response after mine is awesome.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-01-29 at 12:38 AM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

This is a really cool class! It's what I hoped for when i looked up the Psychic Assassin. (Adds to list of classes for my super-strong avatar)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

If only this class was around a few days ago i could have used it for a character...

I agree it's very Prc material, but I overall really like it. Definitely a solid, not game breaking class. Possibly can be used for INT-based cheese, but I doubt it. Nice work.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    This is a really cool class! It's what I hoped for when i looked up the Psychic Assassin. (Adds to list of classes for my super-strong avatar)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Curious View Post
    If only this class was around a few days ago i could have used it for a character...

I agree it's very Prc material, but I overall really like it. Definitely a solid, not game breaking class. Possibly can be used for INT-based cheese, but I doubt it. Nice work.
    Thanks.

Also, with the amount of things in D&D that can be used for cheese, I'm not too worried about it.
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    /veɪnoɚ/

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ah, I think that I've finally put my finger on it. I can now finally express what it is about this type of class that makes me frown a bit.

Just as there are many tiers of class out there, there are many levels of optimization out there. A good chunk of players out there (let's call them "casual players") have never heard of the tier system, aren't masters of optimization, and have never heard the terms "practical optimization". When these "casual players" get together and play, it can take a very long time for anybody to realize that there just might be gap in strength between the party monk and wizard. Everybody playing at that level is more or less at the same level of power, regardless of what they're playing.

This class has made an interesting trade-off with the rogue, exchanging use magic device with the often less-useful use psionic device skill. From an optimizer's perspective, this is a huge blow to the class as it puts a few glass ceilings on what this guy can accomplish and keeps the rogue at least somewhat viable in certain ways. To help cmpensate for this loss, the class has far more class features than the rogue and a strictly better version of sneak attack. From an optimizer's perspective, this is a-okay.

However, from the perspective of "casual players", the people who don't ever invest in UMD anyways, this class is just a blatant increase in power over the rogue in pretty much every measurable way, messing with the power curve in those games.

As such, even though this class is indeed balanced in the great scheme of things, it only ends up feeling balanced in a moderately optimized and high-powered campaign.

The Tome of Battle kind of did this as well but I'm not a fan of these power classes in my games. This base class is still absolutely brilliant in every way (I even have it bookmarked) but I'd hesitate to allow it in my campaigns.

That said, one thing that I'd change, personally, is to change the mind strike back to every three level while introducing the following feat.

Improved Mind Strike
    Your mind strike slashes at the minds of enemies even further.
    Prerequisites: Mind Strike +1d6
    Benefit: Whenever a creature takes damage from your mind strike class feature, if must make a will save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Int modifier) or take an additional 1d8 points of damage.
    Special: This feat can be taken multiple times and its effects stack. A single saving throw is made against all extra damage dealt in this way.

In this way, the cerebral stalker can become better than what you have currently written with the expenditure of actual resources but comes out of the box at a more reasonable level of power, meaning that sub-par optimization lets it function in the games of "Casual Players".
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-04-28 at 06:07 PM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

16. - Top - End - #46

I'm personally comfortable with the class as is, and I really like the way it progresses so I don't think I'll be changing it at the moment. However, your idea is a good one and I think I'll add a note to the bottom of the class for use in low-powered campaigns. That way a DM can still use this class in a low-tier game if they wish to do so. Mostly because I definitely agree with you, this class belongs in an upper-tier game and would be overpowered otherwise.
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    /veɪnoɚ/