New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #701 - The Discussion Thread

Nice anticipation comic! Leaves you eagerly waiting for the next one. I love the way Redcloak is basically talking to his brother in the mirror.

Also I suspect that "Oh! OK, I should warn you that I'm much better at pushing than pulling" is likely A new clue for
    Possibly a reference to what he did with O-chul and V.

I like the idea that he put down the umbrella to pull the rope. The umbrella isn't just sitting on his head (it needs to be held) and its not what is causing the darkness. The darkness is still there while the umbrella is on the ground.
    I didn't do it! And if I did do it, I didn't know I could do it till I did it!

"Ok Kid, this is where it gets complicated"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

This comic actually makes me feel really sad. After having come closer to making a free nation for Goblins where they have their own city and structure, the fact that the elves are coming to destroy them once again just makes this strip really poignant.

If Redcloack leaves and they're slaughtered in his absence, even more so.

Nice strip though. I'd say that the MiTD went the other way and acted TOO stupid but then, it's MiTD and I'll take what silliness I can get before what I expect to be a slew of sad strips.
    Last edited by Super_slash2; 2010-01-27 at 07:12 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

What a twist. We haven't seen non-wordy comics in a while, have we?

And I don't think we've seen Redcloak do that somewhat silly-looking bland goblinoid expression in a while, either...

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Redcloak is probably going to announce how the city will be run after he leaves. Xykon stated that they would be teleporting out to Girard's Gate once the phylactery is located. This can take a limited number of minions with him. Xykon is probably planning to kill and raise dead at the new site for expendable troops.
    FTDWIR

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

So, does anyone have a theory why they needed Monster-san to pull the curtain?
    I guess it's because of the magical shadow around him - maybe there wasn't enough space on the balcony so that the guy who opens the curtain would be seen from the crowd. This way, they only see a (dramatic) shadow behind Redcloak.

What Monster-san says about pushing and pulling is a very general statement, by the way. I don't think it says anything about him.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Dunno if anybody else noticed this, but in the splash panel there is one goblin whose greenish tint is slightly off. His skin is lighter, and I point this out, because as far as I have seem, everything has the same color palette. I've never seen a goblin or hobgoblin have a different shade of coloring without them being a plot-worthy character.

Perhaps ol' Split-Pea here is a new NPC, or perhaps a Doppleganger! GASP!
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    Dunno if anybody else noticed this, but in the splash panel there is one goblin whose greenish tint is slightly off. His skin is lighter, and I point this out, because as far as I have seem, everything has the same color palette. I've never seen a goblin or hobgoblin have a different shade of coloring without them being a plot-worthy character.

It was mentioned on the last page. I, too, assumed him to be a half-breed.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-01-27 at 07:38 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

When he spoke into the mirror, which made the reflection look like the right, not the left eye was remaining, he spoke to

right-eye, and was apologizing for killing him, meanwhile, making it look like he had a good chance of making the death worthwhile.
    "Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down."

You know you're an epic wizard when you use a stilled silent extended quickened Gust of Wind spell to blow out the candles of your candle covered birthday cake.

Adventurers steal everything thats not nailed down. And what is. And the nails. After all, a bag full of nails can fetch a pretty penny. No doubt they'll weaponize it, too.

9. - Top - End - #69

BardGuy

I agree with the previous posters: they've found the phylactery. Otherwise, they'd all be in the sewers. Reddy is about to give his farewell oration.

On another note, I wonder if anyone told the elves that Xykon and Redcloak were planning to leave the city soon.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post

Lol, yeah, I reached that same conclusion too.

EDIT: Or rather, what I meant was, "ol' Split-Pea" here could just be a ghoul or ghast/goblin.

Great comic, Giant.

Also, speaking of more interesting deductions... has anyone else noticed that ALL the goblins have gathered in a pretty freaking big group, unarmed (except for armor) and defenseless... during an elven attack?!

I don't know about you guys... but I'm seeing a MAJOR goblinoid bloodbath coming soon.... REALLY soon...
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2010-01-27 at 07:51 AM.
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

In D&D sociology, evil societies, such as hobgoblin tribes, leaders maintain power by intimidation and risk backstabbers and rivals. Yet Redcloak can walk around without bodyguards and receives cheers that aren't enforced by loyalists. Now that's popularity!
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

How cute. Azure City has become a goblinoid Mecca.

How tragic the whole thing is probably about to come crashing down around their ears. And as the nation he worked so hard to forge burns in the midst of Elven infiltration and attack, presumably Redcloak won't have any choice but to leave with Xykon and the rest of Team Evil for the next gate, removing all the high-level defenders from the city.

13. - Top - End - #73

I want panel 5 as a poster. Keep looking in that mirror, Redcloak, and may his ghost haunt your dreams.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

I agree that the city being attacked by Team Peregrine right now or soon after Redcloak leaves is very likely. And it'd make him even more bigoted and hateful, as he'd now be certain that PC races can't be reasoned with.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

15. - Top - End - #75

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JustRain View Post
    Ahhh he's Hitler!!!
    That was my first thought too, especially because it look like he has his hand up in the Nazi salute. My second thought was the pope, and now I have a disturbing image of Pope Hitler stuck in my head.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Ah Redcloak, going for the world record for lying to himself.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Is the goblin to the centre right a half-hobbo? His color seems to be slightly more yellow than the rest of the gobbos.
    Since no-one said this before: Has Redcloak maybe impregnated some Hobgoblin women? Does someone know about the goblin moral concept concerning reproduction?

The light-green goblin is a half-breed for sure, the rest of of the green ones might also be immigrated goblins, as others proposed.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaily12 View Post
    Also, speaking of more interesting deductions... has anyone else noticed that ALL the goblins have gathered in a pretty freaking big group, unarmed (except for armor) and defenseless... during an elven attack?!

I don't know about you guys... but I'm seeing a MAJOR goblinoid bloodbath coming soon.... REALLY soon...
    A covert insert team isn't going to attack ~20000 hobgoblins head on. Even though they're unarmed, 20000 is an overwhelming number and the alarm will attract the attention from higher-level characters such as Xykon and Redcloak. It would be an excellent opportunity for some major sabbotage, though.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

MindFlayer

Oooooh! Very cool. I like the look for Redcloak!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
    That was my first thought too, especially because it look like he has his hand up in the Nazi salute. My second thought was the pope, and now I have a disturbing image of Pope Hitler stuck in my head.
    How many dictators haven't ever saluted their cheering crowds by waving to them from a balcony? That's like in their description or something.

Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    How many dictators haven't ever saluted their cheering crowds by waving to them from a balcony? That's like in their description or something.
    Thats in the description of any famous leader, regardless of if they are dictators, kings or presidents.

Anyway, I stopped feeling any sympathy for Redcloak after reading SoD but I really feel sorry for all those hobgobelins and goblins who will most likely get killed as soon as Xykon, Redcloak and Tsukiko leave.
    In memory of lord Shojo

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

So does this mean that Elan is going to be jealous now that Redcloak gets to wear a cool eyepatch and look dangerous?
    "I am a sexy shoeless god of war!!!" --OOTS #439

23. - Top - End - #83
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post

Is this your comment?
    without even bother to explain?
    It's a pretty clear display of boredom.

Do you even need explanation?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whitemane View Post
    So does this mean that Elan is going to be jealous now that Redcloak gets to wear a cool eyepatch and look dangerous?
    Or he will start the Eyepatch Club, and girls can't join (but what will pirate-Haley do then? ).

Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angrox View Post
    Hm, seems that Redcloak doesn't feel confident anymore
    He's talking

Spoiler
    Show
    to his brother.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

I should know by now not to read oots with anything in my mouth....new keyboard time.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

He talked to Right-eye in the mirror, didn't he?

"It'll all be worth it".

Who is he trying to convince, anyway? Right-eye, wherever he is? Or himself?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fearabbit View Post
    So, does anyone have a theory why they needed Monster-san to pull the curtain?
    I guess it's because of the magical shadow around him - maybe there wasn't enough space on the balcony so that the guy who opens the curtain would be seen from the crowd. This way, they only see a (dramatic) shadow behind Redcloak.

As far as I can tell the only reason for MitD to be the one who pulls the curtain is narrative. In the last few strips we've seen Team Evil actions through his eyes, so we're taking his point of view on this too. Otherwise it could be too abrupt. This trope is common when introducing in media res scenes because helps identification: we know about RC's presentation as much as MitD.
    but just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can’t something be wrong...and priceless?

29. - Top - End - #89

"I have a dream"?

30. - Top - End - #90

Poor Redcloak.
    He puts on a tough front, but inside, really all sad. Poor little guy. [single tear/]
    "Hello, little one. I'm your Mommy."
    "I crave mortal flesh!"
    "Awww, baby wants his num-num, doesn't he?"