Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Banned

Default Re: OOTS #701 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Conuly View Post
    SoD Spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, as Xykon said at the time, his soul lives in his body until and unless his body is destroyed. It doesn't stay in the phylactery.

Then again, he may have been bluffing to convince RC it was a waste of time to destroy the phylactery, at least for long enough for him to get some decent back-up plans in place....
    Didn't redcloak say he created Xykon (well, turned him into a lich)? Wouldn't that mean

Spoiler
    Show
    he would know exactly how the phylactery works?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, clearly he doesn't, because either
    Spoiler
    Show
    A. Xykon knows something he doesn't about how it works or B. Xykon NOW knows something he doesn't about how it works because he successfully bluffed Redcloak into believing something that Redcloak used to know was untrue.

I'm using "bluffed" in the non-D&D sense, but even if I were, that'd be, like, ten times more blatant than Haley's "I'm trying to forge something so stop interrupting me so I can fool you!" line.
    Last edited by Conuly; 2010-01-29 at 08:45 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Banned

Well, clearly he doesn't, because either
    Spoiler
    Show
    A. Xykon knows something he doesn't about how it works or B. Xykon NOW knows something he doesn't about how it works because he successfully bluffed Redcloak into believing something that Redcloak used to know was untrue.

I'm using "bluffed" in the non-D&D sense, but even if I were, that'd be, like, ten times more blatant than Haley's "I'm trying to forge something so stop interrupting me so I can fool you!" line.
    Wait, so now you're suddenly assuming it's perfectly clear you were already right on a slim possibility tangent? >.>

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think it's possible to bluff anybody that well, and if it was, Redcloak would at least argue it a bit when it's a subject he's that well versed in.

...Did he argue it? i haven't read SoD yet but that hasn't been used as a point yet, so...

4. - Top - End - #244
    Pixie in the Playground

I have SoD, and when Redcloak turned Xykon into a lich, he clearly knew more about lichdom than Xykon did - Xykon hadn't even thought of the possibility, and when RC first asked, X thought he would be getting turned into some kind of zombie. (Although Xykon was far less competent back then.)

5. - Top - End - #245
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Redcloak counted on Xykon reacting differently to Redcloak threatening the phylactery. Xykon's actual response is, "Go ahead. My soul's not in it now, so it's just a fancy bauble, but if you so much as scratch the paint on that fancy bauble, I'll rip your brother's spine out and use it to strangle you."

Redcloak himself never expresses an opinion on whether Xykon's soul is in the phylactery when Xykon is animate, but his reaction seems to indicate that Xykon is correct and it's not--or Redcloak is even more spineless than advertised.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Redcloak counted on Xykon reacting differently to Redcloak threatening the phylactery. Xykon's actual response is, "Go ahead. My soul's not in it now, so it's just a fancy bauble, but if you so much as scratch the paint on that fancy bauble, I'll rip your brother's spine out and use it to strangle you."

Redcloak himself never expresses an opinion on whether Xykon's soul is in the phylactery when Xykon is animate, but his reaction seems to indicate that Xykon is correct and it's not--or Redcloak is even more spineless than advertised.
    Since a lich's soul is mystically tied to its phylactery, destroying its body will not kill it. Rather, its soul will return to the phylactery, and its body will be recreated by the power keeping it immortal.
    Key word there is RETURN, implying it's somewhere else. Though, the passage also implies it's impossible to create more than one phylactery at a time. So unless they know for sure Redcloak's holy symbol is destroyed, they won't even bother to try making a second, assuming it's possible.

So, actually, whether or not it's possible to make another doesn't really matter. They'd still need to find the actual phylactery, destroyed or otherwise.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Is it just me or is redcloak doing the facist one armed salute?
    The game: you just lost it

8. - Top - End - #248
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by samwich 1 View Post
    Seemed to me like he was holding both his arms up and the other one was outside the frame.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Pixie in the Playground

This comic instantly made me remember a famous IDF Chief of Staff (i'm Israely), who is known for being charismatic, and, you guessed it - for wearing an eyepatch.

This guy is called Moshe Dayan:

10. - Top - End - #250
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kumosabe View Post
    ... are you talking about the phylactery? The one redcloak actually told us about at the end of the first story arc? >.>
    Wasn't aware that Redcloak knew about the phylactery. He was upset with Xyrcon even to the point of suggesting that at some future point that the goblins would have to do something about him. Given that Redcloak had it that was possible.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by elonin View Post
    Wasn't aware that Redcloak knew about the phylactery. He was upset with Xyrcon even to the point of suggesting that at some future point that the goblins would have to do something about him. Given that Redcloak had it that was possible.
    ... could you stop using pronouns please? i have no idea who's saying what. Or maybe i'm missing some huge plot point

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elonin View Post
    It wasn't possible. If Redcloak destroyed the phylactery, Xykon would still be around, and still be capable of kicking Redcloak's ass. (It would seem that in the OOTSiverse, the soul is in the lich until he/she/it is destroyed, so destroying the phylactery is not enough.)
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Regarding the idea of Xykon just making a new phylactery:

My guess is that, while Xykon's soul may not be in the phylactery currently, there's probably still some sort of magical tie between it and himself, just because of its very property of being capable of holding his soul.

Honestly, I doubt he could make another while the first still exists somewhere. Have you ever heard of a lich with two phylacteries? I haven't. If it were possible to have multiple phylacteries, D&D would probably have a lot of Voldemort+Horcuxes situations, with liches making several of the things, just for insurance.

Of course, this is just conjecture.
    SELF-SNEAK-ATTACK! ....wait.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bsparrow View Post
    Regarding the idea of Xykon just making a new phylactery:

My guess is that, while Xykon's soul may not be in the phylactery currently, there's probably still some sort of magical tie between it and himself, just because of its very property of being capable of holding his soul.

Honestly, I doubt he could make another while the first still exists somewhere. Have you ever heard of a lich with two phylacteries? I haven't. If it were possible to have multiple phylacteries, D&D would probably have a lot of Voldemort+Horcuxes situations, with liches making several of the things, just for insurance.

Of course, this is just conjecture.

Aumvor's Fragmented Phylactery, a low DC epic spell that splits your phylactery into multiple pieces and requires each piece to be destroyed in order for you to be killed. Champions of Ruin.

Of course, it's a Faerun book and so probably out of play for OotS stuff anyway.

Aside from Demilichdom, it's the only legal way I'm aware of to have multiple phylacteries.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T_N_J View Post
    This comic instantly made me remember a famous IDF Chief of Staff (i'm Israely), who is known for being charismatic, and, you guessed it - for wearing an eyepatch.

This guy is called Moshe Dayan:
    Huh. Someone mentioned earlier that the new, goblinoid-dominated Azure City that I referred to as a 'goblinoid Mecca' has a much closer correlation with somewhere else in the real world, but that the subject was just begging to start a 'real world' political flame war.

Funny thing. It's only just now that the pieces clicked together in my mind on that one.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by samwich 1 View Post
    He could just be waving to his loyal people, like, well, pretty much every great leader (especially dictators) in history has done.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    (It would seem that in the OOTSiverse, the soul is in the lich until he/she/it is destroyed, so destroying the phylactery is not enough.)
    That's actually also how it is in the standard D&Dverse, there are quite a few adventures were the players may be able to destroy the phylactery before facing the lich. The lich is unharmed, he just needs from now on try harder to avoid destruction.

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Teleporker View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

A niece? As in Right-eye's daughter? If he's got no more brothers, then there is an actual possibility for at least some bad blood between her and Redcloak.

That is, unless she did not like her dad or something along those lines.

I so have to get that book now!

Ahhh... the crackpot conspiracy thickens!
    Yup, you've got it right. Specifically...

SoD
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xykon took Right-Eye's whole village prisoner and forced them into his army. That included Right-Eye's family - his wife, two sons, and his daughter. Right-Eye eventually tells Redcloak that he has managed to sneak his daughter to safety. But by then his wife and sons are dead. Note that Redcloak didn't resurrect them.

And yeah, anyone who doesn't have the book should really find some way of reading it, even if you have to borrow a copy from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumosabe View Post
    Didn't redcloak say he created Xykon (well, turned him into a lich)? Wouldn't that mean

Spoiler
    Show
    he would know exactly how the phylactery works?
    Yes he did, and yes, he does.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

19. - Top - End - #259

The scene with Redcloak looking into the mirror and evoking (in the non-magical sense) the image of his dead brother works only because O'chul poked out the left eye.

This is good sign that the author is planning ahead, very far head. Well done!
    Last edited by rewinn; 2010-01-30 at 03:17 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    The scene with Redcloak looking into the mirror and evoking (in the non-magical sense) the image of his dead brother works only because O'chul poked out the left eye.

You do realize evidence of planning ahead has been all over this comic, right?

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post

Wow, Rich managed to pull off an elementary bit of foreshadowing (and one that most of the forum expected to happen from the second that eye got poked out). Well done indeed.

(I love this comic as much as the next guy, but there is such a thing as being too effusive with your praise.)

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yes, the eye thing was a bit obvious, but not less great.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Very nice. I hadn't realized before that every time Redcloak looks into a mirror now he's basically seeing his brother. Well played.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Did anyone notice that the MITD is invisible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
    xanaphia has gained: A Metal Head's approval!
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xanaphia View Post
    Did anyone notice that the MITD is invisible?
    he's in the darkness >.> he always looks like that at the edge between dark and light when it's not the umbrella or there's no alcove/wall thing

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, Rich managed to pull off an elementary bit of foreshadowing (and one that most of the forum expected to happen from the second that eye got poked out). Well done indeed.

(I love this comic as much as the next guy, but there is such a thing as being too effusive with your praise.)
    In a world where even TV shows (aside from LOST) are planned out either season-by season or even episode by episode, and where many online comics are only planned out strip by strip, it is indeed exciting to read a comic where certain character arcs have been planned from the outset. One doesn't usually expect that from an online comic. Lowered expectations? Perhaps. But I think it shows Rich is thinking carefully about the story and so sure, why not say "Well done?" "Well done" is hardly effusive praise.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

It's more that compared with the planning ahead we already know about, like having the entire Azure City arc worked out before Miko even had a name, this is small potatoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

28. - Top - End - #268
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    The simplest explanation is that Redcloak was bluffing -- knowing perfectly well that destroying the phylactery wouldn't do any immediate harm to Xykon, but thinking that Xykon didn't know that -- and Xykon called his bluff.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

hehehe Miko didn't have a name... good times
    The game: you just lost it