New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Dragon Age Templar PrC: PEACH

Recently I've been working on a 3.5 homebrew campaign world and wanted to add a powerful organization that both watched over casters and hunted them when necessary. This organization was originated and holds enormous political influence due to past civil wars fomented mostly by magic-users.

Then I played Dragon Age: Origins and realized that the Chantry/Templars were very close to what I had in mind.

So here is the Templar prestige class I came up with. Mind you, I'm not trying to recreate the exact class from the game, mostly just drawing inspiration from it.

This is my first home brew posting, please be gentle!

Spoiler
    Show
    Templar PrC

Description:
    The Templars are the swords and shields of the Chantry, constantly keeping watch over the mages of the Circle. They are an ever-present threat should the Circle step out line and become dangerous to society. The Templars consist of a wide range of peoples and races. There are those who only wish to see the law done and consider it their duty to protect people from the possible depredations of magic, those who enjoy having power and control over others who have no choice, and also those who simply hate and fear mages and relish the chance to do any harm to them.

Requirements:
    Base Attack: +6
    Skills: Intimidate 4 ranks
    Feats: Iron Will, Mage Slayer

Hit Die: d10

BAB: Full, good Fort saves

Class Skills (4+Int modifier/level): Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana), and Swim (Str).

Level------Class Ability
    1st-----------Magical Defense, Smite (Casters) 1/day
    2nd----------Dispel Magic 3/day
    3rd----------Pierce Magical Protection
    4th----------Spell Resistance 15
    5th -------- Smite (Casters) 2/day
    6th----------Dispel Magic, Greater 3/day
    7th ---------Pierce Magical Concealment
    8th----------Spell Resistance 20
    9th ---------Smite (Casters) 3/day
    10th---------Antimagic Ray 1/day

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: As a Templar, you gains no additional proficiency in any weapons, armor, or shields.

Magical Defense (Ex): The Templars' rigorous training in countering magic of all types gives you a +2 bonus at 1st level to saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities.

Smite (Casters) (Ex): Driven by your sense of duty and conviction or fueled by your anger and hatred toward casters, you are able to strike out at those who would use magic to harm the world. Once per day, against creatures that can cast spells or spell-like abilities, you can concentrate all of those emotions into a single attack, gaining a bonus to your attack roll equal to your Charisma bonus (if any) and a bonus to damage equal to your Templar level. At 5th level you may use this ability twice per day, and at 9th level you may use it three times per day. This smite attack takes the place of a single attack action and can be combined with full-round attacks, charges, etc. If the creature smitten cannot cast spells or spell-like abilities, the smite has no effect but the ability is still used up.

Spell-like abilities: As part of your Templar training, you are taught to nullify a caster's spells and abilities.

2nd lvl - 3/day Dispel Magic, as the spell
    5th lvl - 3/day Dispel Magic, Greater, as the spell
    10th lvl - 1/day Antimagic Ray, as the spell

The Templar's caster level for these spells is equal to his/her character level and the DC for the saving throw (is necessary) is based on his/her Charisma.

Spell Resistance (Ex): Your training has further hardened you against magic, giving you Spell Resistance 15. At 8th level this increases to Spell Resistance 20.

Bonus Feats: Not only do the Templars gain the ability to resist and nullify magic, but their very weapons begin to cut through magic defenses. At 3rd level you gain the Pierce Magical Defense feat and at 7th level you gain Pierce Magical Concealment, both as a bonus feats.

Too powerful? Not powerful enough? Too much overlap with other classes? Too easy to get into? Too hard?

Thanks for your responses

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Dragon Age Templar PrC: PEACH

I would be tempted to give them good will in preference to fort, or give them good fort and will, though that may be a bit much. Just seems to fit the fluff a bit better. Intimidate 4 ranks is an odd one for the Templar, but I suppose they were quite forceful with their mages.

Edit: Ah, another oversight is the dispel magic greater 3/day. That should replace the other one, otherwise you end up with dispel magic 6/day, which is a little TOO badass.
    Last edited by cheezewizz2000; 2010-01-27 at 01:04 PM.
    Trust me. I'm a geologist.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Despite their extreme vulnerability to possession/enthrallment, I suggestion average or good Will save, purely for the sake of making them a good caster-counter last several more seconds against a full caster.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

It seems... humorous to me that they get the ability to smite anyone with spell-like abilities, and then get spell-like abilities. I don't think it would be too crazy to change those to supernatural abilities, and it would fit better, methinks.
    Thanks to Dashwood for the avatar!

Check out my Homebrew.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

You might want to just change that to smite arcane, giving the ability to smite anyone who can cast arcane spells. I don't think you really want them to be smiting druids and clerics, do you? Not to mention monsters/races with SLAs, like pretty much all outsiders, drow, gnomes, etc.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
    1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Magical Defense, Smite (Casters) 1/day
    2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Dispel Magic 3/day
    3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Pierce Magical Protection
    4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Spell Resistance 15
    5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Smite (Casters) 2/day
    6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Dispel Magic, Greater 3/day
    7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Pierce Magical Concealment
    8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Spell Resistance 20
    9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Smite (Casters) 3/day
    10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Antimagic Ray 1/day[/table]
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe make them drain spell slots with each hit? Maybe a slot with a level equal to 1d10 (10=0) each time they hit. This lets them really be the bane of casters, as this is a supernatural ability that always functions.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe make them drain spell slots with each hit? Maybe a slot with a level equal to 1d10 (10=0) each time they hit. This lets them really be the bane of casters, as this is a supernatural ability that always functions.
    +1. This is a new and interesting ability, which fits brilliantly with the class and the fluff though it needs some more work (for instnace, what do you do do when the caster has no spells of the level roll?).

Spoiler
    Show
    I would suggest draining a number of spell slots equal to charisma bonus, starting from the top and working down. Makes each hit devastating to casters.
    Trust me. I'm a geologist.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cheezewizz2000 View Post
    (for instnace, what do you do do when the caster has no spells of the level roll?).

Drain lower level spells?
    Last edited by Mongoose87; 2010-01-28 at 06:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have well have been thinking of making some 3.5 dnd classes and i have created a Templar class. If you guys want to see just tell me and ill figure out how to past it on this site LOL! :)