New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Paladin help

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Paladin help

So.. I decided to make a fun character. To be precise, a Dragonborn Goliath Paladin, with a divine rank of 0. (My DM decided that a divine rank 0 was worth a +3 LA, since it was slightly worse overall than half celestial[though I had to lower the SR to 21])

Anyway, I am making my character a Paladin, which I know is far from an optimized class. My question is, I have SIX levels of Paladin. What feats could I take to increase my character's power as much as I can? I want to make him a powerful tank, with his high HP, and good DR. He also hits pretty hard(For a melee character).

Any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Paladin help

Some of the divine feats are something you might look into. A couple of them burn turning attempts for increased AC and extra damage on a power attack.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

You know that Dragonborn eliminates your previous racial abilities, right? So no Powerful Build for you. You're basically pissing away +1 LA.

Divine rank? What book is this from, and how could you take 0 levels of it?

Anywho, the standard Paladin tank relies on a powerful mount, buff spells, and feats fueled by Turn Undead. Consider:
    Leadership: Better mount.
    • Mounted Combat -> Ride by Attack -> Spirited Charge: defense, offense, battlefiled control.
    • Sword of the Arcane Order: Can memorize Wizard spells, use Wizard magic items (like Wands).
    • Domain Devotion feats: Earth, Travel, Animal, Death, etc. Most of them are very useful. Check out Complete Champion.
    • Shield Specialization + Shield Ward + Divine Shield: +1 to your Shield bonus, spend a Turn/Rebuke to make your Cha bonus apply to your Shield bonus, and your Shield bonus applies to Touch AC (screw your casters) and your ability to resist Trip/Bull Rush/Grapple/etc attacks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Also: Battle Blessing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Divine Rank 0. You know, being a Hero-God or such like Herakles.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Divine Rank 0. You know, being a Hero-God or such like Herakles.
    Ah. I guess I was ignorant about it because no one ever uses it. I thought that was an NPC option? You're immortal, immune to polymorphing, energy drain, ability drain, ability damage, mind-affecting effects, and have DR 10/epic, SR 32, etc. Sorta takes the challenge out of combat.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

At low levels it might be a bit game-breaking, at high levels, though, it isn't all that exceptional.

Added to an ECL 7 character like a Goliath with 6 character levels- LA +3 adjustment seems a little on the low side though.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    You know that Dragonborn eliminates your previous racial abilities, right? So no Powerful Build for you. You're basically pissing away +1 LA.

Anywho, the standard Paladin tank relies on a powerful mount, buff spells, and feats fueled by Turn Undead. Consider:
    Leadership: Better mount.
    • Mounted Combat -> Ride by Attack -> Spirited Charge: defense, offense, battlefiled control.
    • Sword of the Arcane Order: Can memorize Wizard spells, use Wizard magic items (like Wands).
    • Domain Devotion feats: Earth, Travel, Animal, Death, etc. Most of them are very useful. Check out Complete Champion.
    • Shield Specialization + Shield Ward + Divine Shield: +1 to your Shield bonus, spend a Turn/Rebuke to make your Cha bonus apply to your Shield bonus, and your Shield bonus applies to Touch AC (screw your casters) and your ability to resist Trip/Bull Rush/Grapple/etc attacks.
    Dragonborn specifies that you retain Powerful/Sleight Build.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

I say build a martial-focused paladin, then take the Knight of the Raven for 5 lvs and Divine Crusader for the full 10. Nuff said.