New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] So my campaign/homebrewed cosmology is on hiatus again. Much free time noticed.

Amazing how much time being a DM takes up.

Considering I might be a donor/uncle soon what happened is probably for the best.

So, how much of your time does DMing take up vs. being a player?
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: [3.5] So my campaign/homebrewed cosmology is on hiatus again. Much free time noti

I obsess, so I spend a LOT of time mulling things over in my head as a DM. But that's time I'd be wasting no matter what I did, so it's not really that bad.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] So my campaign/homebrewed cosmology is on hiatus again. Much free time noti

As a player, I usually just show up at games, and email with the DM about issues specific to my character.

When I DM, it takes a massive amount of my time. I was on a 6 hour plan ride a few days ago, and spent half of it planning my game.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    I obsess, so I spend a LOT of time mulling things over in my head as a DM. But that's time I'd be wasting no matter what I did, so it's not really that bad.
    Tell me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Egiam View Post
    As a player, I usually just show up at games, and email with the DM about issues specific to my character.

When I DM, it takes a massive amount of my time. I was on a 6 hour plan ride a few days ago, and spent half of it planning my game.
    That's it, three hours? Light-weight.

ps. You might want to check your avatar.
    Last edited by Pika...; 2010-01-30 at 01:01 AM.
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

With those two as the only variables? Lesse, given I probably spend a good three hours a night doing something DM-related... probably about a 20:1 ratio.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    Same. Most of the DMing happens in my head. I plan out various contingencies, the world my players are in, and so on. Actual preparation time is much less, ranging from 2 to 3 hours per weekly session... but I don't actually measure it myself (yet), so I may be missing things that I'm doing but don't realize/remember.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

When I'm DMing, my preparation for the next session and onward, can take probably 10+ hours a week, since we usually play about once a week, and then I have about 6 days to further the story.

This extra preparation isn't wasted, because I'll prepare enough material to last 10 hours of game play (let's say). When we inevitably fail to use up all of it, I end up with maybe 4 hours of game play notes already prepared for the next session.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gods, if I kept track of how much time I use on preparation for my campaigns and creation of the setting, I'd probably be embarrassed over how much time I could be using to do homework, watch movies, etc.
    Originally Posted by gdiddy
    There can be no resurrection of 3.5. But the SRD is the phylactery of 3.5 and it's kind of eternal for that.

Legacy of the Immortals Campaign Setting Any feedback, help or ideas you have are greatly appreciated.
    My Campaign Log (Apologize for Walls of Text)
    My House Rules
    My take on the Druid
    Prime20. Where Rule of Cool rules Alternatively, come to the new and improved Prime20 Thread!
    The wiki for Prime20

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Between one and two hours of actual work, tops. This is inevitably right before game time, since I procrastinate. I tend to make up stuff as I go.

That said, I frequently roll ideas around in my head while doing other stuff, so I have a pretty good idea of possible directions it could go.

10. - Top - End - #10

When I have nothing else to do, I start to look up what types of monsters will be appropriate for my PCs, and various things about the villains, or where my PCs might go. The problem is, my people are too chaotic to try to plan things for, they'll just do something else.
    As such, any plans are loose. I take no more than a hour a day on it, and only spend days that I'm not busy doing so. Which, I must admit, is a lot of them.

11. - Top - End - #11

I used to do tons of planning for each session, but now, I just make some vague plans, stat up a couple NPCs, maybe sketch some maps, and wing the rest. To a large extent this is because my PCs are what might be called "unpredictable" or "bat-**** insane", so I like to keep things loose and flexible.

Mind, this is only between sessions of a campaign that's already started. Before I start a campaign, I spend a great deal of time planning the setting. I try to plan out enough of the setting that I can pretty much wing/sandbox the rest.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I plan things out weeks, even months in advance. What the NPCs will say and do, I write out round-by-round tactics for every major villain. I carefully consider how new players will enter the game and for plots to revolve around each of them. I care for the PCs just as much as I want to defeat them. I try to anticipate their actions, try to trip them up and make them think on their toes. I try to get them to try new tactics so that they don't get bored with the same old things.