New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Need help with new players.

I've got some new players on my hands, and I hate to say it, but I'm having some trouble helping them get the basics down. I was wondering if anyone had any tips, tricks, or advice on the matter?
    "I am the Undying Terror!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Blace avi by Rowsen!
    Avis and dolls are the fine work of Recaiden!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Need help with new players.

You must rule them all with an iron fist.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Yep, best way to teach. I learned it in my education class.

No, seriously. Well, what, specifically, are you having a hard time teaching?
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I gotta say, PF's comments are starting to give me the same insane glee that I got from Solo before he was banned.

On topic, it would help if you at least mentioned what game system and edition you are playing if you want answers with any degree of relevance, unless the problem has to do with general roleplaying.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Find associations they can understand. Also, do it in little chunks, during times when they're very awake and paying attention.

Also, give them a list of vocab words to understand on their own time.

Let them understand questions are okay, and there are no bad questions. Furthermore, if they want to try it, let them ask. Make sure they know they can ask.

Finally, let them do some things in game to give them a better understanding. For instance, start out a campaign involving them with having them roll attack rolls against some sort of target, and skill checks, and a few other things.
    I guess there's one other thing. If your other players are big optimizers, ask them to tone it down a little. It's hard for newbies to survive in an optimzers world.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

No, Pharaoh, YOU must rule them with an iron fist!

Now, to the op, two words. Note cards. With rules written on them. Ok, seven words, but this makes the rules very accessible even in game without slowing things down much. Since they will be looking through the cards often, this should also help them learn faster.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Also, steering them away from certain harder classes to use might be good. For instance, Wizard is really hard to play when you're starting out, and the same can really be said of most full casters. On the other hand, ToB is easier to use than most of the other books.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry, it's 3.5. It's mostly just 'in general' things, like remembering attacking requires to-hit rolls and such.
    Luckily they don't have to deal with anyone optimizing, as all three players are new to the game.
    From a player: "Mostly it's not having time to read the manual, and not having the manual there to read. This has GOT to be easier on paper."

-edit-
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex112524 View Post
    Now, to the op, two words. Note cards. With rules written on them. Ok, seven words, but this makes the rules very accessible even in game without slowing things down much. Since they will be looking through the cards often, this should also help them learn faster.
    This is something I just threw at the players. One seems to like the idea at least. Thanks. =D
    Last edited by Lord Blace; 2010-01-30 at 11:22 PM.
    "I am the Undying Terror!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Blace avi by Rowsen!
    Avis and dolls are the fine work of Recaiden!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Make up a cheat sheet for them with the basics of the game.
    Instead of handing them a character sheet, let them read the sheet that says: "Roll the red dice (the d20), add to that the number in the red box (attack bonus), the final number is what AC (armor class) you hit. Tell it to DM. If he says it hits, next roll the Green dice (d8), and add your strength modifier (green number) to get damage dealt. Tell this to DM."

Let them hold onto the PHB for a week or two to read through at their leisure. At the very least, this will get them used to reading/hearing some of the terms.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Alex112524 View Post
    No, Pharaoh, YOU must rule them with an iron fist!
    I already do. Who do you think is feeding them misinformation about the system?
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2010-01-31 at 12:33 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I already do. Who do you think is feeding them misinformation about the system?
    Sir Giacomo?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blace View Post
    This is something I just threw at the players. One seems to like the idea at least. Thanks. =D
    Yay, I'm winning! Also, no problem

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gen up some characters as a group activity, explaining what the numbers mean as you go along. Either you go grade school on them and hold each of their hands and go through bit by bit until they can make a *Simple* character with no help. Let the people you help first answer questions or bring ones they don't know to you so you can explain them to everyone.

Then run a sample combat. Either split them into two groups and set them against each other or play some monsters easy and let them get a feel for the patterns in the game mechanics.