New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default 'Dungeon Fillers' Gift Box

Well I'm sure most of us have been in/build a dungeon and been stumped on what to fill it with. Traps, monsters, treature, it all seems so obvious until it comes down to paper and pen- should we go for the simple falling logs and ogres? Or perhaps something with a little more flavour?

Now I haven't played many games myself but since I'm a member here I figured I'd share an idea. A thread for people to throw out ideas for interesting little pieces that can be put into dungeons and adventures to share around. Any ideas you've seen before or thought of that would make an otherwise standard dungeon design a little more spicy, here's where to sum it up.

'The Weight-Ing Game'

A bridge across a chasm works on a pivot. Too much weight placed on one side will cause it to tip, threatening a nasty fall. The idea of this obstacle is to even out the weight of the players through any means at their disposal- from sharing out more cumbersome equipment (like a fighters armour) to carrying stones that may happen to be around. For an extra bump, add a monster encounter on the other side before any items can be re-organised.

Not the best of ideas but an example

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: 'Dungeon Fillers' Gift Box

For dungeon puzzles, I'd say going through the nearly 25 years of Zelda is a good start, and those looking for pathfinding challenges can also look to Metroid, especially Super, Zero Mission, and the Prime series.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

a number of tunnels equal to the number of PCs [or 1/2 #PCs if you are nice]

flood something, not just a trap, but legit flood a room all the way. see how they adapt
    cuniculus tepes leo caesar
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR HIS YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

Sajin Komamura avatar by me

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

in an underground dungeon make the bottom floor normally... then fill it all but 1 foot from the ceiling (or halfway if you're nice)with water as it has flooded over the years. the maze, the rooms.. drowned and reanimated victims as encounters.

Make a standard maze, then stand it up, use wall crawling and flying creatures throughout it.

Curse the pc's with a 'babel' curse. none of them can speak a language the others can so they have to communicate in other ways.