New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default What's going on with myth-weavers?

I can't get the site up and my players have their sheets on there, what's going on with it?

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: What's going on with myth-weavers?

it's moving servers over the weekend, should be back to normal in a day or two.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

After they switch servers, I'm going to copy all of my players' sheets over to The Tangled Web, in case they do it again.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I wanted to get my players sheets off now

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

likewise. text text text
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aggg, srsly? I have a game to play tomorrow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

They'll be off for 2 days - it's been over a day ;)

8. - Top - End - #8

Well, there was a warning:

Quote Originally Posted by Myth-Weavers
    This weekend MW will be throwing off its mortal shackles and jumping onto a nearby (Amazon Web Service) Cloud.

Assuming all goes well the move should take about a day, and then it might take another day for the dns propagation so that our name points to the new server.

During this time you will probably get all sorts of errors such as site not found or database error, these are "normal" and wont need reporting.

--Your MW Staff
    So, yeah, it should be sorted tomorrow.

9. - Top - End - #9

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    After they switch servers, I'm going to copy all of my players' sheets over to The Tangled Web, in case they do it again.
    Dont know how that will help, since character sheets that are posted there sometimes just vanish into the great unknown.

Seriously, had about 4 of them there, all 4 dissapeared during different site downtimes...
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

If you're really worried, use CutePDF or something and print the sheets to your hard drive.

Myth Weavers is one of the most reliable sites out there. Moving sheets to a less reliable site because they have to go out for a couple days once in a blue moon is more than a bit panicky.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I wouldn't call Myth-Weavers the most reliable, really. I've always used The Tangled Web, and it's never once been down that I've noticed. Plus, Myth-Weavers sheets lack some basic components, like ACP columns in the skills section.
    Internet's out. Updates ETA Saturday.

"Nothing says love like being hugged to death by a Water Orc."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    On an unrelated note, Tanaric is awesome. End of story.

Avatar by CrimsonAngel. My avatar appears to have gone AWOL in my absence. Investigations are pending.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanaric View Post
    I wouldn't call Myth-Weavers the most reliable, really. I've always used The Tangled Web, and it's never once been down that I've noticed. Plus, Myth-Weavers sheets lack some basic components, like ACP columns in the skills section.
    Actually, the tangled web has had some significant problems in the past, including losing all of my sheets. Which is why I was currently using myth-weavers.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Yeaaaah, one of my players couldn't access his sheet last night for our session. Happily, they're level 1, so he just remembered everything.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I've had trouble with the Tangled Web also, but except for this change-over Myth Weavers has been pretty rock-solid.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Viletta Vadim View Post
    If you're really worried, use CutePDF or something and print the sheets to your hard drive.

Myth Weavers is one of the most reliable sites out there. Moving sheets to a less reliable site because they have to go out for a couple days once in a blue moon is more than a bit panicky.
    The Tangled Web has never failed me, and beyond that, if it goes down, I have copies on my computer, and if Myth-Weavers goes down, I have copies on The Tangled Web. Not panicky--just ready to keep playing a game, regardless of a site's condition.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

It's still nasty. I had missed any warning bulletins, and had planned for a giant RP fest on friday night. I get back and Whoops! everything's gone. I'm almost going through RP withdrawal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    Dont know how that will help, since character sheets that are posted there sometimes just vanish into the great unknown.

Seriously, had about 4 of them there, all 4 dissapeared during different site downtimes...
    Myth-weavers backs up the sheet database every night. No sheets have ever been lost.

If you were having a problem presumably you reported it. We have the most responsive staff team any site.

Different site down times, that must be because it's so unreliable /sarcasm

Sorry but I'm gonna call total BS on your claim.

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    It's still nasty. I had missed any warning bulletins, and had planned for a giant RP fest on friday night. I get back and Whoops! everything's gone. I'm almost going through RP withdrawal.
    How could you miss it, there's been a damn great notice at the top of every page, including sheets for about ten days.

IF want to modify your hosts file you can get to the new site now by adding this line.
    75.101.153.52 www.myth-weavers.com

Here's some instructions (windows)
    http://www.pc1news.com/videos/modify-hosts-file-18.html

Last edited by plugsy; 2010-01-31 at 05:05 PM.
    I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by plugsy View Post
    Myth-weavers backs up the sheet database every night. No sheets have ever been lost.

If you were having a problem presumably you reported it. We have the most responsive staff team any site.

How could you miss it, there's been a damn great notice at the top of every page, including sheets for about ten days.
    that was in response to a poster talking about another site. Not myth weavers.

also, sometimes people don't check the site for a while. It's not that unreasonable for him to have missed it.

19. - Top - End - #19

I use notepad by preference, even in face-to-face games. That way I can actually, y'know, notate situational modifiers in a place that actually makes sense, unlike every pre-fab sheet ever designed.

.....yeah, I've got nothing more to add.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quite honestly, the banners have been up so long for so many different things I stopped paying attention to them. I saw the donation box, but didn't realize there was a sure timetable.

I'm not trying to sound accusatory. It was just sort of a "Okay, long week, time to play. Wait, where's my game! Oh, the move is THIS weekend? NOOOOO my plans. AAARGHLEBARGHLE!!! WHY DIDN'T I CHECK?! BAD GOLENTAN!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

21. - Top - End - #21

AAARGHLEBARGHLE!!!
    I read this aloud, and it made me giggle. It's like the Welsh language!
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Or, if you don't feel like installing new software on your computer, just do File -> Save As... -> Web page (complete) on your web browser.

I do that for my own character sheets, but forgot to do so for my players. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    I use notepad by preference, even in face-to-face games. That way I can actually, y'know, notate situational modifiers in a place that actually makes sense, unlike every pre-fab sheet ever designed.

.....yeah, I've got nothing more to add.
    Me, I tend to write out the character sheet in notepad, calculate everything there (showing work), make a monster reference summary in notepad, and then copy the entire text of that into the "Additional information" section. So the DM for an online game gets the sheet formatted the way he expects, and if he asks me "How'd you get that", I can tell him. Exactly, as the Skill line will say something along the lines of "Survival: +16 (+8 Ranks, +4 Wis, +2 Druid Nature Sense, +2 Knowledge(Nature) Synergy)" in my specific notes.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

I switched to MW because tangled-web was so unreliable. MythWeavers has had a warning up about this move for about two weeks, so while it's annoying, I'm not particularly worried (and it should be up by later tonight or tomorrow).

QFT.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2010-01-31 at 04:37 PM.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Added instructions to my earlier post on how to get immediate access to myth-weavers. Though the forums are currently turned off, should be ok in a few hours.

TTW uses the old base code for 3eprofiler, myth-weavers took that over from MJ Eggerston and developed it further. One of many changes was to the data serialization as it was occasionally unreliable. TTW and DnDoG (and anyone else using rpgwebprofiler) still have that issue. The anecdotal claims of one person not having experienced a problem yet don't change that fact.
    Last edited by plugsy; 2010-01-31 at 05:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Plugsy, any time when it's going back up yet?

26. - Top - End - #26

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by plugsy View Post

I think you misunderstood. I was reffering to the fact that The Tangled web kept deleting my character sheets. Never had a problem with MW, and still dont have a problem with the server change. They did this about a year ago and it didnt do anything bad to my char sheets.

Of course, if you have read the replies after my post, you would probably understood what I was reffering to, but seems you wanted to tell someone he is full of **** or something...
    Last edited by Bayar; 2010-01-31 at 06:24 PM.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

My apologies Bayar, if I quoted the wrong post that was talking bull not you. I get a bit incensed when people slag off our work and it's just lies and I tripped over my anger it seems. Although the lying scunner seems to have modified their posts anyhow as I can't find the original claim.

IF want to modify your hosts file you can get to the new myth-weavers site now by adding this line. The site is live and people are posting (all 5 of em ATM)
    75.101.153.52 www.myth-weavers.com

Here's some instructions (windows)
    http://www.pc1news.com/videos/modify-hosts-file-18.html
    Last edited by plugsy; 2010-01-31 at 11:25 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You don't even need to modify the hosts file. Just tell the browser to skip its way over to the designated IP address rather than its domain name and you'll get there.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

It's working for me now.

30. - Top - End - #30

My apologies Bayar, if I quoted the wrong post that was talking bull not you. I get a bit incensed when people slag off our work and it's just lies and I tripped over my anger it seems. Although the lying scunner seems to have modified their posts anyhow as I can't find the original claim.
    Is that even a word? I don't believe anyone insulted your work. Myth-weavers is probably just as great as any other site, if not better. There was one person who said Myth-weavers was missing something The Tangled Web had in their character sheet, but that was it.

I said I'm going to copy it to The Tangled Web and my computer, so in case either site goes down, I have copies.

Also: Rules are important--especially with Roland.
    Homebrew