New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Brainpicker build help

So, I was looking through my array of books and discovered an interesting combination that I would really like to use in a game, but I want a little help making it playable, because I tend to be bad at that.

The build revolves around a Changeling with Cabinet Trickster (RoE) and Mindspy (Cwar). Combined, I've got some pretty impressive mind-reading skills that can be applied even in the heat of battle, along with an array of thought tricks that can pretty much ruin anyone's day.

The question is, what do I do with the five levels in front and back? Neither class advances spellcasting, so casters that would capitalize on my cha are out. Another problem is making sure the DCs for detect thoughts and my thought tricks stay relevant. So, I throw myself on the playground. I was thinking swashbuckler for the first five, to put the brunt of melee on intelligence and dexterity, but there's that pesky dead level and the dodge thing seems kinda stupid.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2010-01-31 at 09:42 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Brainpicker build help

Factotum? Binder?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Factotum? Binder?
    Factotum probably WOULD work, but I can't find that book right now... as for binder, I wouldn't have slightest idea where to start.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, something from ToB would let you get an early source of power, then use your non-related classes for 1/2 initiator level and pick up not entirely from scratch when you come out the other side. None of them really work with CHA, though... crusader sort of does, but not really.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Well, something from ToB would let you get an early source of power, then use your non-related classes for 1/2 initiator level and pick up not entirely from scratch when you come out the other side. None of them really work with CHA, though... crusader sort of does, but not really.
    ToB isn't really an option. I don't own the book, no matter how hard I look for it, and even if I did own it, there's no way I could grasp the stuff fast enough to use it.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    With a level of Bard, Extra Music, and Snowflake Wardance, you can kinda/sorta go charisma-based. Maybe.

Edit: Ninja'd. That's out.
    Last edited by Viletta Vadim; 2010-01-31 at 10:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Paladin of Tyranny would drop their saves by 2, which always helps
    And it also boosts your saves with your Cha bonus.

you would only require 3 levels though

If somehow you can qualify then you could also take 2 levels of Blackguard to get dark blessing for another boost to your saves (aura of despair doesn't stack with itself though)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Battledancer from dragon compendium would get you CHA to AC (like the monk ability), but requires a chaotic alignment.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Battledancer from dragon compendium would get you CHA to AC (like the monk ability), but requires a chaotic alignment.
    I see no problem with chaotic. Changelings often end up that way anyway.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Mrr... Any other ideas? The brain-picking takes up all my swift and immediate actions, so any advice needs to take that into account.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I'm currently looking at adding Cabinet Trickster to a build originally inspired by the BBEG guide Batman's Bane: The Joker; concentrating on confusion and diplomacy. I don't know how well that'd work for what you want to do, but it could be mined for ideas at the very least.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Mrr... Any other ideas? The brain-picking takes up all my swift and immediate actions, so any advice needs to take that into account.
    You're best bet is something that doesn't involve your character level at all. Unfortunately, only a handful of classes can claim this. It's a shame you don't have Tome of Battle, because a Warblade would be the best idea here (Swordsage being a close second). Skill points will help tremendously.

I was trying to find a class preview of the Factotum, because Factotum 3 would really help you out, but alas I cannot. We do have a Warblade preview though...