Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Questionable Content

It took me the better part of a week, but I just finished reading QC from the very beginning. WOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Things I noticed: The art improved dramatically and repeatedly. It's quite remarkable.
    Also Jeph needs more sleep, and needs to lay off himself. JEPH: YOU ARE DOING A GOOD JOB. IT'S OKAY IF WE HAVE TO WAIT A BIT LONGER FOR THE NEXT COMIC. WE'LL SURVIVE.
    Yelling Bird is a jerk.
    It's fun seeing characters that later became major institutions turn up as nameless extras.
    Along the lines of above: Hanners changed heaps, almost unrecognisable from her first appearance. Also, Pizza Girl hasn't appeared since Penny was hired by Dora...

Discuss.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content

It needs more of Pintsize's shennanigans.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

This will be a rather obnoxious post, but I shall post it none the less. Such are the crosses we bear.

I like QC... kinda. THere are a few things that annoy me with it, this in particular:

1) You homed in on this one, Serpentine. There are loads and loads and LOADS of characters. In itself not a problem, but the artist seem to have problems employing them all to full capacity. I'm fine with minor appearances and secondary characters and such, but when some characters that were earlier very central simply drift into the periphery and gradually vanish (see, Raven, Pizza Girl), there is just. Too. Much. People.

I think one of the reasons for this is that characters rarely develop, as such. They are brought in to serve a role or create a conflict, and when that's resolved or obselete, there's noithing for them to do there anymore. So they vanish. This is augmented by the fact that

2) QC pretends to have a story. It really doesn't. For comic after comic, there's all these people being sarcastic and smart-mouthed at a coffee shop. Sometimes, there is an interesting turn of events (see Sven and Faye), but they are few and far between. On the other hand sometimes it actively counters it's own intrigue, like the strips around Christmas when Marten got annoyed with Faye and resolved the situation in 3 freaking pages. I mean, come on? I was so dissapointed!

I sound like Yahtzee, because I actually kind of like QC. It's a lifelike comic, in that stuff usually is pretty damn undramatic, there's a lot very slow progress and a lot of dead banter inbetween the life-changing stuff. I read QC for it's wierd jokes and because a lot of the loads of characters actually are good ones. But there are problems.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2010-02-01 at 10:36 AM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I think that the general lack of forward momentum in the plot and the way that characters drift in and out of the main storyline has always been part of QC's appeal for me. QC is a slice-of-life webcomic in every sense of the word -specifically Marten's life - and the way that characters drift in an out adds a level of versimilitude that is lacking from other comics attempting the slice-of-life thing.

The fact that there's no unifying overall plot these days is fine with me. QC has turned into the webcomic equivalent of a soap opera with storylines that meander, to be sure, but I enjoy it because o the meandering plot and not despite.

Plus his update schedule and colorful art don't hurt.
    Do you like fantasy?
    Have you ever worked retail?
    Then you might enjoy my comic: Avallanath Discount Adventuring and Magic Supplies

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it doesn't have an overarching plot line, but it does consistently have several plotlines going. The Poster above me likened it to a soap, but I associate it more with a Western Marches style RPG.

And has it ever really pretended to have an overarching story? If so, I've never seen it.

Also, while some characters do vanish generally it seems that only really one-off characters do so. I mean, Pizza Girl was only in, what, 4, 5 comics? I don't think we can say that she was truly a central character. Raven is a slightly stronger case, but she hasn't been gone for too long, so it seems like more of the standard gap between appearances that often happens.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    It took me the better part of a week, but I just finished reading QC from the very beginning. WOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Things I noticed: The art improved dramatically and repeatedly. It's quite remarkable.
    Also Jeph needs more sleep, and needs to lay off himself. JEPH: YOU ARE DOING A GOOD JOB. IT'S OKAY IF WE HAVE TO WAIT A BIT LONGER FOR THE NEXT COMIC. WE'LL SURVIVE.
    Yelling Bird is a jerk.
    I think that's its job description. And it's very good at it.

It's fun seeing characters that later became major institutions turn up as nameless extras.
    Along the lines of above: Hanners changed heaps, almost unrecognisable from her first appearance. Also, Pizza Girl hasn't appeared since Penny was hired by Dora...

Discuss.
    Hannelore supposedly was on different meds when she first showed up, hence her unusual behavior.

I'm kind of relieved the Hanners / Marigold shippers have calmed down as of late.

As others have said, there really isn't much of a storyline here. Life seldom has one, it's more a series of incidents you live through and that lead into one another.

I wonder if the jet propelled Roomba has come down yet.

Actually, I kind of liked Dora blonde...

That's all the random comments I can think of at the moment.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I love Questionable Content. I do wonder about the lack of ambition in these kids lives though.

I mean Dora is a coffee shop manager, that is cool.

But Faye is a coffee shop assistant, Marten is a library assistant. I've been there. The pay is crap. These are mid to late 20s kids. What on earth are they going to do with their lives?

Oh dear, it's proof I'm old now, isn't it?

Plus Pintsize annoys me. Less pintsize, not more.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

More pintsize means only good things.

And from what I understand from his little news posts below each comic, characters drift in and out of the story based on how much Jeph enjoys drawing the character. Hence Raven disappearing, he got bored of her.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Didn't he do a poll recently asking people what characters they like best so he can work towards that?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by dogmac View Post
    But Faye is a coffee shop assistant, Marten is a library assistant. I've been there. The pay is crap. These are mid to late 20s kids. What on earth are they going to do with their lives?
    I'm a library assistant at two libraries. At my main job, I get paid $33.40 an hour But anyways, aren't they more mid than late 20s, only one or maybe a couple of years out of uni? That doesn't seem too bad to me. I have friends 1 or 2 years out of uni who're still working as grocery store check-out chicks and shelf-stackers who don't have any apparent immediate intentions to upgrade, much less find a career.
    Also they've had a few comics, several recently, about that very subject. Basically, it seems that Marten and Faye just don't know yet what they want to end up doing. Although Faye has just gotten a sculpture commission, so that's not too bad.

11. - Top - End - #11

Cor library assistant wages have gone up! I was on 18K a year.

Admittedly, this was early to mid 90s.

12. - Top - End - #12

Nah, probably not really. I'm a casual, so I get extra for that, and I generally only work for 3 hours on Saturday, which is time-anna-half.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Nah, probably not really. I'm a casual, so I get extra for that, and I generally only work for 3 hours on Saturday, which is time-anna-half.
    What sort of work does this entail?

14. - Top - End - #14

Shelving, sorting, lending and returning, taking calls, answering questions, computer assistance, getting yelled at for things that aren't my fault... Go to a library, and look at the people who work there that you can see out on the floor or behind the front desk. I'm one of them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Hm... I might just have to.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    I mean, Pizza Girl was only in, what, 4, 5 comics? I don't think we can say that she was truly a central character.
    I believe she was only in two comics (assuming Penelope isn't her secret identity). Damn, Jeph needs to let someone embed tags in the archive so that these searches would go better. A few other places where she is obliquely referenced (like nobody talks about the appearance of her arch-nemesis Chinese Delivery Man).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Ah. So NOW we know what happened to the jet propelled Roomba.

Being around Pintsize has warped it irreparably.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, Serpentine, are the requirements for being a library assistant as easy in the real world as they were in the comic?

19. - Top - End - #19

You're really into this library assistant idea, aren't you? I'm not sure, I got pretty lucky in that regard. I volunteered at the local library once a week in high school, then there was a casual job going at the Gold Coast council, where my dad works, so I had an "in" there (technically I'm still hired by the GC council, even though I haven't worked for them in years). Then at my town job, I put in my resume and nagged the boss 'til he hired me, but I had really good timing because the people working on Saturdays had been nagging him for 6 months to put a 3rd person on those days. Finally, the uni library has a lot of competition for jobs. They take on plenty of people with no experience at all, but I would've had an advantage in my previous experience and present employment in the same job. However, they also generally only hire students (I even have to prove that I'm still a student every year).
    So, to tie it back, I think Marten probably got pretty lucky, but it's not entirely outside the realms of possibility.

edit: At the GCCC job, I had to do a little test on the Dewey Decimal system (easy-peasy), and I had to get a physical for it and the present town job. The former had an interview, the latter and the uni job they only needed my resume.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2010-02-04 at 09:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Just be warned, working as a library assistant might make you hate people.

Specifically, high school students.

Specifically, high school students who cut things out of expensive art books for their projects, thus ruining it for everyone else..

You may think these are a small proportion of them, but you would be wrong.

I once had a brand new art book, worth over $120 (back then!) come back after one borrow with every single print cut out of it. They claimed they "found it that way"

21. - Top - End - #21

I just read a book called "The Island of Lost Maps" about a man who stole hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of rare maps (ruining the value of the books in the process). It was heartbreaking.
    I'm so glad the town library doesn't have anyone like that... As far as I'm able to tell, most people are really good about it, let us know if an item's starting to fall apart or whatever. The uni library has people highlighting or jotting notes in books, but they're still readable. On the other hand, an ex of two of my former friends used to work in the uni's rare books section, and stole who-knows-how-many of them. I mentioned this to my boss here (long after the fact) and he didn't care (this is the same guy who "liberated" a 200-year-old Bible "from the Protestants" )

Did you make that person pay for it? In blood?

22. - Top - End - #22

No, the really ****ty thing is you can't actually DO anything about it. You know they did it, they know they did it, but you can't prove it. And if they go for stout denial, you kind of have to suck it up, and there goes the art book budget.

23. - Top - End - #23

At my town library, they have a system whereby anytime something of note happens (e.g. someone puts in a form saying that they returned an item and so it wasn't them who lost/stole it), it's recorded on their account. So, if it happens too often (as determined by The Boss) we can do something about it. I don't know what exactly is done - so far as I know, it's never come up - but, well, presumably there's something. I know they're at least willing to ban people, cuz they've already done it to one guy.
    As an aside, some of the nicest people I've met through my work are in the local drug rehab...

Erm. Topic. I wonder whether Tai ever has problems with people vandalising her books?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dogmac View Post
    No, the really ****ty thing is you can't actually DO anything about it. You know they did it, they know they did it, but you can't prove it. And if they go for stout denial, you kind of have to suck it up, and there goes the art book budget.
    There is a rather simple policy, to mostly take care of the problem: when someone borrows a book, make them check it for any damage and take note of them in said book's record (most convenient for further use). When they give the book back, you have a proof. Considering how costly some books are, it might be good to go an extra mile and make them sing off current book state.

Alternatively hire this guy.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

I already hate high school students, so no worries there.

But yeah, right now, I'm working night stocking at Lowe's for under $10/hr, two of my female coworkers, who are dating each other, should have been fired for harrassing and threatening one of our other coworkers, should have been fired for ignoring what our boss told them to do, one of which tried to throw me under the bus my first night there when I was helping her out (our boss knew what was going on and caught her at it), and one of them has been putting the inventory control tags in my jacket and lunch box so I beep going out the door. The unload crew keeps putting stuff that doesn't go in my departments (I work Hardware, Lumber and Building Materials and Millwork) on my pallets, the concrete is making my feet hurt and I'm tired of three of my coworkers (the already mentioned two and another) using doctors notes to get out of lifting anything over 10lbs (the third one with this isn't as bad, she only asks for help with the really heavy stuff she has) when I got told I had to have a doctor's note saying I was 100% recovered from my car crash because 'there is no light duty on that crew'. The HR manager also used up my sick and vacation time for that after I told her not to cause the lady who hit my car's insurance was going to have to pay me for the missed time. Oh, and I'm tired of having to do the same amount of work as three to four of the others when it comes to long stock.

Wow... That was a longer rant than intended. Should I break it up some or is it understandable?

Back on topic: I love how Marten's able to have these kinds of conversations with someone about five minutes after he meets them.

26. - Top - End - #26

Wow... Man, your job sucks. All I have to worry about is the odd man yelling at me because I don't know something, and the occasional odd bit of maybe-racism from a colleague... I should point out, however, that that $30/hour is in Australian dollars.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Wow... Man, your job sucks. All I have to worry about is the odd man yelling at me because I don't know something, and the occasional odd bit of maybe-racism from a colleague... I should point out, however, that that $30/hour is in Australian dollars.
    Australia uses the dollar too? How does it compare to the American dollar right now and does the $30/hr include your hazard pay as well?

28. - Top - End - #28

Out of curiousity, what did you think we used? I think the $AUS is worth about 85cUS. Also I'm a casual, I don't get jack, though I do get a lot of flexibility. I get a base rate (~$2X), extra cuz I'm a casual, then time-anna-half cuz I mostly just work on Saturdays. Basically, I exchange things like "rights" and "holidays" and "dignity" for extra money.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2010-02-05 at 09:07 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly, I had no idea. I know America and Canada use dollars, Mexico has Pesos, most of Europe uses the Euro and Japan uses Yen. Most of my 'Country X uses money denomination Y' info is a bit out of date.

I thought everyone got Hazard pay just for living in Australia?

Basically, I exchange things like "rights" and "holidays" and "dignity" for extra money.
    I think this is pretty much the concept of 'Work'

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Meh, You aussies have it good. The Jamaican dollar will be worth an American cent in a few years. We have thousand-dollar bills that are traged around on a regular basis.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.