New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Ancient Names

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Ancient Names

So, I've been trying to flesh out some so far uncharted territories on my homebrew fantasy campaign setting. Part of the idea is that most lands and people are based off real-life historic civilizations, as with Conan's Hyborian Age setting (and to an extend, Forgotten Realms and other settings).

So I've decided to just drop the mask and use ancient / old / forgotten names for the kingdoms. Obviously, it saves me time, but it also reinforces the connection.

To be more specific, I mean things like Albion for Great Britain, Kemet or Khem for Egypt, Thule, and so on.

How many of these do you know? And even better, does anyone know of a good website where I can find more?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Ancient Names

Scythia is a good name, just sort of rolls off the tongue, y'know.

Couldn't say for a website, but there's a couple of maps of the ancient world on the wiki that you could find relatively easily, I think and take a gander at the names listed there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, this is my territory. I'm a history major, so lets see what we can come up with. Cymru, Kernow, Siluria, Gwent, Dumnonia, Rheged, Ynys Mons, Dyfed, Lothian (those are just Romano-Celtic Britons), Eire (Ireland), Iberia (Spain), Hellas (Greece), Ugre (Hungary), Wallachia (part of Romania), Numidia (parts of Algeria, Tunisia, and Carthage). Hope that helps!
    Originally Posted by gdiddy
    There can be no resurrection of 3.5. But the SRD is the phylactery of 3.5 and it's kind of eternal for that.

Legacy of the Immortals Campaign Setting Any feedback, help or ideas you have are greatly appreciated.
    My Campaign Log (Apologize for Walls of Text)
    My House Rules
    My take on the Druid
    Prime20. Where Rule of Cool rules Alternatively, come to the new and improved Prime20 Thread!
    The wiki for Prime20

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here's the Wikipedia article on exonyms, names over foreign places is various languages. Scroll down for list of exonyms in Latin, Greek, Icelandic, German etc. That should be enough for whatever flavour you want for your place names.

6. - Top - End - #6

Cathay for China.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't forget Minos. A little thing like being blown off the face of the earth tends to be memorable.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've already got all Greece-related stuff written down

Thank you all, I've got a lot more to go with now. Especially dragonfan6490, hehe, great list.

The exonyms article looks useful as well. I'll definitely try the map idea too, if these do not prove enough.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Caledonia for Scotland. Cush was the Biblical name for Ethiopia, if I'm not mistaken. Canaan (Palestine), Edom (Jordan), Chaldea (another name for Babylonia; modern-day Iraq) and Maharlika (proposed nationalistic name for the Philippines).

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Firkraag View Post
    To be more specific, I mean things like Albion for Great Britain
    Staying there, you have also Northumbria, which once was the core of the anglian kingdom of Bernicia. And Lothian.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

I did the same sort of thing once- got a lot of mileage out of a historical atlas, especially city names.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Watch out for delicious confusion potential though:

• Iberia means Spain + Portugal now, but to the Romans Iberia was a kingdom in the Caucasus (so was their Albania).
    • There are likewise Galicias in Spain, Poland/Ukraine, and Asia Minor.
    • Kush was an early Sudanese kingdom, but the Kushan Empire was a Central Asian state comprising most of the *stans and the Punjab.
    • Prussia isn't in (modern) Germany and wasn't originally inhabited by Germans, and it was only ever technically a part of the Holy Roman Empire.
    • Great Bulgary was in central Russia, Bulgaria is in SE Europe.
    • The Khitans are not the Khazars who don't come from Khwarazm. Oh, and the various Cossack hordes are no relation to the Khazaks.
    • And as for Turkestan...

More locally for me, pre-unification Scotland was variously Alba, Caledonia, Galloway(!) and Pictland.

That said, probably the best way to shorthand a culture is to grab a historical atlas and loot names to your heart's content.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2010-02-02 at 12:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Lessee:

You've got your ancient empires of the Middle East; your Minoan empire (although it was never called that at the time, I believe), your Sumerians, the Hittites, your Assyrians, your Egyptians... these are a bit obvious, but there are some good names in the towns, cities and smaller component states- Ur, Sumer, Nineveh, Karnak, Kalhu, Memphis, Kanesh, Kish, Nippur, Mari, Carchemish, Jerablus, Arzawa and so on.

Getting a bit more modern, although still remaining within the ancient world, and largely ignoring Greece and Rome as a bit obvious, you have places like ancient Armenia, Lydia, Pontus, Media, Carthage- these give us names like Tigranikert, Tigranocerta, Colchis, Amasia, Sinope, Sardis, Ctesiphon, Corupedion, Antioch, Tyre, Sidon, Tartessos.

Then you have the various names for European proto-states in the pre-modern era- Francia, Neustria, Austrasia, Burgundy, Asturias, Navarra , Wallonia, Brabant, Frisia, Wallachia, Moravia, Moldavia, Bohemia, Galicia (two of these!), Saxony, Franconia, Thuringia, Lotharingia, Jutland, Gothland (or Gotland/Gotaland if you prefer), Svealand, Norrland, Livonia, Novgorod, Volgabulgaria, and many more.

In England amd Scotland specifically, you had Bernicia and Deira (combined to form Northumbria), Mercia (the midlands), and the various Scottish kingdoms- Moray, Alba, Pictland, and the Isles, as well as smaller, non-extant counties which could be fun- Westmorland, Hexhamshire, Winchcombeshire.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head; hope it gives you something to be getting on with!
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground