New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Dragon Template

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Post Dragon Template

Basically as a DM i want to have a reaccuring black dragon to fight the party, is there any template or somthing of the like which can easily buff the dragon and make it advance in age like the party does in lvls?(huge run on sentance)Pathfinder/3.5
    Last edited by Steelblood; 2010-02-03 at 06:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Template

Half black dragon and then later add another half black dragon so you have a half black dragon half black dragon black dragon.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Half black dragon and then later add another half black dragon so you have a half black dragon half black dragon black dragon.
    Can you add draconic to that?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dragons can take class levels and their spellcasting stacks with levels in sorcerer. The half-dragon template is fun to apply to dragons.

Edit: Ninjas!

What I've done with a recurring dragon character is simply advance it a category when appropriate without changing its size and reach. From the player perspective, it just got tougher.

My first recommendation would be class levels, especially non-associated class levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    Yes. Yes you can.

Edit 2: Swap out feats like Alertness for metabreath feats.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-02-03 at 06:56 AM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

5. - Top - End - #5

So...we could technically have a draconic half black dragon half black dragon half red dragon half red dragon half bronze dragon half bronze dragon half silver dragon half silver dragon half gold dragon half gold dragon half blue dragon half blue dragon half green dragon half green dragon half white dragon half white dragon half brass dragon half brass dragon half copper dragon half copper dragon black dragon?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm not to hijack the thread but I do wonder how much dragon you can get in one dragon without changing it's true colour.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

i think i can make that work, thanks guys and gals.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblood View Post

i think i can make that work, thanks guys and gals.
    I hope you're totally using that.

I calculate +61 LA. I'm not sure of CR.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-02-03 at 07:05 AM.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9

Hmm not to hijack the thread but I do wonder how much dragon you can get in one dragon without changing it's true colour.
    So...we could technically have a draconic half black dragon half black dragon half red dragon half red dragon half bronze dragon half bronze dragon half silver dragon half silver dragon half gold dragon half gold dragon half blue dragon half blue dragon half green dragon half green dragon half white dragon half white dragon half brass dragon half brass dragon half copper dragon half copper dragon black dragon?
    Well, normally you can't stack the same template, which is to say that you can't be a half-black-dragon twice. Looking at Crystal Keep though, you could have a

Draconic Half-Adamantine Half-Amethyst Half-Arboreal Half-Battle Half-Beast Half-Black Half-Blue Half-Brass Half-Bronze Half-Brown Half-Chaos Half-Chiang Lung Half-Chromium Half-Cobalt Half-Concordant Half-Copper Half-Crystal Half-Deep Half-Emerald Half-Ethereal Half-Fang Half-Force Half-Gold Half-Green Half-Howling Half-Iron Half-Li Lung Half-Lung Wang Half-Nickel Half-Oceanus Half-Pan Lung Half-Prismatic Half-Pyroclastic Half-Radiant Half-Red Half-Rust Half-Sand Half-Sapphire Half-Shadow Half-Shen Lung Half-Silver Half-Song Half-Steel Half-Styx Half-T’ien Lung Arch Black Dragon

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-02-03 at 07:07 AM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    Well, normally you can't stack the same template, which is to say that you can't be a half-black-dragon twice. Looking at Crystal Keep though, you could have a

Draconic Half-Adamantine Half-Amethyst Half-Arboreal Half-Battle Half-Beast Half-Black Half-Blue Half-Brass Half-Bronze Half-Brown Half-Chaos Half-Chiang Lung Half-Chromium Half-Cobalt Half-Concordant Half-Copper Half-Crystal Half-Deep Half-Emerald Half-Ethereal Half-Fang Half-Force Half-Gold Half-Green Half-Howling Half-Iron Half-Li Lung Half-Lung Wang Half-Nickel Half-Oceanus Half-Pan Lung Half-Prismatic Half-Pyroclastic Half-Radiant Half-Red Half-Rust Half-Sand Half-Sapphire Half-Shadow Half-Shen Lung Half-Silver Half-Song Half-Steel Half-Styx Half-T’ien Lung Arch Black Dragon

obnoxious
    sig
    That must look like a bloody painting accident. I must figure out how to add it to my game and have it claim to be the ultimate dragon, and then dodge the players handbook my players will throw at me.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

11. - Top - End - #11

That must look like a bloody painting accident. I must figure out how to add it to my game and have it claim to be the ultimate dragon, and then dodge the players handbook my players will throw at me.
    You forgot to mention the knives and fire.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12

If I counted correctly, those templates would add (among other things)
    +181 AC
    +362 str
    +92 con
    +90 int
    +92 cha
    +92 CR

You'd get less guff throwing Tiamat at them, I think.

obnoxious
    sig

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGirl

If I counted correctly, those templates would add (among other things)
    +181 AC
    +362 str
    +92 con
    +90 int
    +92 cha
    +92 CR

You'd get less guff throwing Tiamat at them, I think.

obnoxious
    sig
    And yet be utterly crushed by a holy word spell Btw what would be a proper alignment for this ... thing?

obnoxious
    sig
    Whatever wizard made this must have been very, VERY patient. Imagine the sheer number of failed experiments to get to this
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2010-02-03 at 07:22 AM.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by peacenlove View Post
    And yet be utterly crushed by a holy word spell Btw what would be a proper alignment for this ... thing?
    Universal alignment -- the new one.
    Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

How many true dragon types (excepting dragonwrought kobolds, which, according to some people, count), from Dragon Magazine and WoTC books, haven't had a half-dragon template statted out?

Lets see:

(Shining South)
    Rattelyr

(Dragons of Faerun)
    Mist Dragon
    Mercury Dragon

(Magic of Incarnum)
    Incarnum Dragon

(Dragon Compendium)
    Orange Dragon
    Yellow Dragon
    Purple Dragon

(Dragon Magazine)
    Axial dragon (unlike the others in the issue, half-dragon template absent)
    Brainstealer Dragon
    Dalzmus (three-headed Faerun dragon)
    Chole Dragon (abyss)
    Astral Dragon
    Elysium Dragon? (not sure if that was the actual name.)
    Hades Dragon (that definitely wasn't the name, but where it was from)
    Tome Dragon
    Hex Dragon
    Time Dragon
    And, if sea serpents are counted:
    Spiked sea serpent
    Lantern sea serpent
    Crested sea serpent

How many have I missed out?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-02-03 at 07:23 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #16

Kobold

obnoxious
    sig
    You should add celestial, fiendish, tauric and legendary to that list.

Then turn it into an Effigy.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

I think class lvs/templates would be a fun way of allowing the dragon to adapt to the party's tactics. You could say the dragon is obsessed with beating them and is spending the bulk of its wealth on magic augmentations/training to best the party at their own game.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

yes- class levels might be good, if they complement its powers well.

I've remembered which of the five "ferrous dragons" is missing from that list above.

Iron, nickel, cobalt, and chromium, are present, but Tungsten Dragon is not.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-02-03 at 07:59 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

In draconomicon there are prestige classes for dragons that are pretty sweet
    No matter what you do, no matter what you say I will always love you. For you are human and in you is beauty and I am vain.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

If all else fails, you can't go wrong with martial adept classes.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

What I've done with a recurring dragon character is simply advance it a category when appropriate without changing its size and reach. From the player perspective, it just got tougher.
    I've also done this. I also customize the feats and throw on the occasional class level.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Customizing the feats is one of the best things you can do quickly to improve the challenge.

Also, if you have access to Draconomicon (which you probably don't or you wouldn't have started this thread), there's sample dragons of all age categories for all the MM's true dragons listed at the back of the book, with statblocks. It's quite useful really.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by peacenlove View Post
    Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Evil or True Neutral have the best arguments, I think. It would still have SR, but yeah. Its will and reflex saves would be abysmal unless it acquired grace somehow.

I'd have to wonder what a thing this smart would be doing within 40' though. All it needs is a decent-ranged save-or-die and you're all toast. Likewise for the party though.

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    If all else fails, you can't go wrong with martial adept classes.
    That works. Few DMs are more irritated than when a player says, "Iron... Heart... Surge!" Imagine when a dragon facing the players does it.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-02-03 at 12:13 PM.