New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Playing an Animal

So, I'm looking at starting a campaign, and one player wants to play a druid. Powerful, but nothing out of the ordinary, except that another player wants to play an animal type character, so the druid can go in more of a buffing role. My question, though, is how can I accommodate this and what ways can make a PC into the Animal type and remain playable?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Playing an Animal

Nigh impossible, due to the intelligence restrictions on an animal. The standard answer is "Anthropomorphic Animal" from Savage Species, which essentially gives you human-like intelligence, and is probably the best option.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

He could play an awakened animal if he actually wants to play a quadrupedal animal, not just an anthropomorphic or animal-like species. The druid could have cast it on him so that could offer a roleplay angle. The lack of opposable thumbs would of course restrict what he could do or would at least require some creative builds.
    Last edited by Ormur; 2010-02-03 at 03:28 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're willing to look at third-party books:

http://skirmisher.cerizmo.com/items/...d-pdf-download
    Fhaolan by me! Raga avatar by Mephibosheth!

5. - Top - End - #5

Have him play a Duskling Totemist. All of a sudden, he's furry and dangerous, without sucking too hard.

Alternatively, Druid with Extend Wildshape or Bestow Curse+Mind Rape to permanently trap him in animal form with the belief that he is that actual animal.

Alternatively, have him play the Druid's Animal Companion. Unorthodox, but very possible if you know what to do.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Don't allow Anthropomorphic animals. Well, at least don't allow the dreaded Anthropomorphic Bat Druid.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

I think the biggest thing to do with playing an animal, is play, as people have said, and "awakened" animal of some kind....
    or just play the animal as an animal. Perhaps its a little more perceptive RE humans and norms than most, or perhaps its just a loyal companion. Animals have instincts that can more than make up for a lack of understanding of why human X does Y
    It also depends on what animal. Dog? Horse?(actually has some elements that can work better than most--there is no way a horse is 2INT--they have been cognitively tested at something along the level of a 9 year old, even by human standards of intelligence) OR are we talking something really exotic like a Tiger or Bear? Those are going to be much harder since there isn't going to be any sort of Herd/Pack mentality keeping them interacting with the other PC's

Also, if the person wants to play an "animal" but isn't attached to the animal creature type, magical beast might be an option

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks for the suggestions, I have no idea how I forgot about 'awaken'. Silly me. Next question then, is should I have some sort of LA for it, or is the problem of racial hit dice enough, as even if they want to be a wolf, I believe we're looking at 4HD thanks to awakening. I asked they player, they're dead set on some sort of animal if this is feasible thanks to all the "animal only" buffs a druid can cast, but Awaken handles that nicely.

Thanks again everyone!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vulaas View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, I have no idea how I forgot about 'awaken'. Silly me. Next question then, is should I have some sort of LA for it, or is the problem of racial hit dice enough, as even if they want to be a wolf, I believe we're looking at 4HD thanks to awakening. I asked they player, they're dead set on some sort of animal if this is feasible thanks to all the "animal only" buffs a druid can cast, but Awaken handles that nicely.

Thanks again everyone!
    Awakened animals become magical beasts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

10. - Top - End - #10

The simplest way to have a player play an animal is to toss the silly "animal int score can't exceed 2" rule.
    RL has plenty of evidence that animal int scores can definitely reach 3+, namely the limited ability to understand/use language.

The player creates stats as normal, but after assign stats converts the Int stat to "Animal Int"
    19 = 7
    18 = 6
    16-17 = 5
    13-15 = 4
    9-12 = 3
    6-8 = 2
    3-5 = 1
    Must have Animal Int score of 3+ to be played as PC.
    Increases are made to base stat and converted to Animal Int. So if he has Int of 16 (Animal Int 5) and increase it by 1 he would remain at Animal Int of 5.

Communication - Either
    1) simplicity - He can speak any tongue he understands. or
    2) Realism - Has to talk through a "Speaking Mat" an advance ouja board type thing, have spells used, or the old "what do you want lassies. Heaps of RP possibilities.

Stephen E
    Last edited by Stephen_E; 2010-02-03 at 05:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Yeah, I think that the change in creature type makes most of the Druid's potential buffs unviable. You could house-rule that out, though. There's no really good reason for the weird hard limit on Animal Int. As Susano-wo points out, plenty of them are smarter than that in real life.

I've done some comparing of awakened animals to lycanthropes and concluded that they seem balanced at LA +0 so long as they're not smaller than Tiny nor bigger than Large.

You could just have the second player play the Druid's animal companion, maybe. That could be an interesting roleplaying experience. I wouldn't write it off off-hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jokey665 View Post
    Awakened animals become magical beasts
    Augmented Animal. That's good enough for spell purposes, right?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Star Munchkin suggested that if the character is Int 2, they should have a vocabulary of 20 words, and if 1, a vocabulary of 10 words.

But that's a more jokey D20 setting.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Augmented Animal. That's good enough for spell purposes, right?
    Nope. It just indicates that awakened animals still use Animal hit dice (and 3/4 BAB) instead of Magical Beast hit dice.

But hey, you're the DM, so feel free to house-rule whatever you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Or play a worg. Closest thing to an awakened wolf, and better stats.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks again everyone!
    That is a hard question, actually, as animals vary significantly in their utility, that some are frankly more powerful than others of the same CR. Being Awakened just makes it harder. If Wizards could have been bothered to make a template for Awakened to cover this, we'd have a more definitive answer, but alas we do not.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Instead of having them be an animal have them play the alternate druid in PH2. Stay in their predator form all the time. . . .poof animal without all the difficulty. . . you'd have 2 druids. . . but still.
    RAMS > RAI > RAW

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ah, the problem by RAW is that whether you're playing an awakened animal with int over 3 or an animal-like creature with int over 3 then it becomes a magical beast and the animal only buffs don't work anymore.

I don't really see how you could realistically roleplay an int 2 animal. Interacting with the rest of the group beyond play/hunt/do-what-the-hoomans-want would be very limited. It might work in a plot-light campaign but despite debates on animal intelligence the fundamental barrier is communication.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

There are three basic answers to someone who wants to play an animal:

1. Anthro animal, from Savage Species. My 2 cents? Some of these are very, very weak, and some are almost broken good. Take a good look before allowing a player to take one.

2. An animal under an Awaken effect, which becomes a magical beast. This can also be problematic, as the rules on LA and such for an awakened animal are sketchy at best. Not to mention it can be exceptionally hard to be an adventurer without opposable thumbs.

3. Play an "animal-like" humanoid or monstrous humanoid race - gnoll, catfolk, centaur etc.; or an "animal-like" magical beast, such as a blink dog, worg or unicorn. (Maybe that should be classed as a 4th option).

...anything else will require heavy houseruling, and some serious cooperation between the DM and player to achieve something workable.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Ormur View Post
    Ah, the problem by RAW is that whether you're playing an awakened animal with int over 3 or an animal-like creature with int over 3 then it becomes a magical beast and the animal only buffs don't work anymore.

I don't really see how you could realistically roleplay an int 2 animal. Interacting with the rest of the group beyond play/hunt/do-what-the-hoomans-want would be very limited. It might work in a plot-light campaign but despite debates on animal intelligence the fundamental barrier is communication.
    Well if you disregard the silly rule that animals don't have Int over 2, you get around the problem with animal buffs not working on Magical Beasts.

So that leaves u interacting with a animal with low human int (3-6 if you follow my suggestion above) at which point communication becomes part of the plot. Keep in mind that there is an upside of the communication problem. People talk in front of "dumb" animals when they wouldn't talk in front of other people.

Stephen E

PS. In Pathfinder Animal Companions can use their +1 stat per 4 HD to raise their Int above 2 and remain animal companions.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a question...does an animal that dons a Headband of Intellect cease to be an animal, until the headband is removed?

Reminds me of that episide of Futurama where the professor develops a hat that makes a monkey super-smart while he's wearing it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Advice on playing an Animal:
    Hand of the Mage. Now you can open doors, pick up keys, and drink at a bar.
    If you don't speak, a Medallion of Thought Projection is a cheap but limited fix.
    You are likely large, which is a good thing, but keep a couple potions or a Wand of Reduce Animal handy.
    Prepare for NPCs to ignore you, speak over your head, and generally treat you like a dumb animal even after they know what you are. This is a good thing. I recommend a Hat of Disguise so that you can conceal your bling and look like a dog instead of a wolf(or whatever). That way you can wander around the enemy camp and look stupid.

You are an animal, but smarter, not a furry human. You think differently. I recommend playing a pack animal, as it's hard to justify anything based on a Tiger traveling in a group. Food is vital to you. Study whatever species you plan to be long before picking up the dice.

And remember, peeing on the jerk is always an appropriate response.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Here's a question...does an animal that dons a Headband of Intellect cease to be an animal, until the headband is removed?

Strictly speaking by RAW, yes, it ceases to be an animal.

Stephen E

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    You are an animal, but smarter, not a furry human. You think differently. I recommend playing a pack animal, as it's hard to justify anything based on a Tiger traveling in a group. Food is vital to you. Study whatever species you plan to be long before picking up the dice.
    Loved your suggestions, but 1 note.
    Tigers, indeed most felines are social animals.
    Big cats tend to solo due to food constraints, not because they don't like company.
    In an adventuring party it can be assumed food isn't a problem (eat those you kill for a start). Why does a Tiger hang out with the party? Because it likes them, finds them interesting ect.
    Of course why they find them interesting, and how they express those feelings, as you have pointed out, can be expected to be somewhat different to a human.

Stephen E

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_E View Post
    ect.
    ...is for ectoplasm?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_E View Post
    Loved your suggestions, but 1 note.
    Tigers, indeed most felines are social animals.
    You must know different cats than I do.
    And that's part of why you should study these things. Half-remembered episodes of Crocodile Hunter are not good enough.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Play a wombat. Name her Digger, and Play. Her. Just. Like. That.

There's no way you can go wrong.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

I suspect it's more domestic cats and lions that are truly social.

However tigers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger

while territorial, have been known to share kills amicably.

(though I'm not sure how reliable Wikipedia is in this case)
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Read Watership Down, Duncton Wood, Call of the Wild, and White Fang for some inspiration on role playing an animal character. Mechanically, I think the closest to full animalness would be to play an awakened animal. Yes, by the definition of animal in-game you are not an animal anymore, but the animal feel is still very much there, as you most likely don't have thumbs or hands. This will require some mature and inventive role play, but I like the idea immensely. If you feel it and/or the player won't disrupt the game I think you should go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

30. - Top - End - #30

And that's part of why you should study these things. Half-remembered episodes of Crocodile Hunter are not good enough.
    Since I didn't watch crocodile hunter I'd have trouble half-remembering them.

Seriously if you think housecats aren't social you haven't studied them enough.
    They aren't pack animals, but like man, they are social. How do you think cats get on in a household? They like company.
    To be fair they used to think Tigers didn't socalise, untill they started using remote cameras with night capability. Turns out they do a lot of there socalising at night.
    Keep in mind that been large apex predators they have certain physical limitations in many of their natural envioriments. This is different from claiming they don't socalise. And if you look at envioriments where food isn't a issue (because humans are providing food) they socalise more.

Stephen E