New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default (4e) Tiefling life expectancy?

Trying to find out how long Tieflings live for. Any idea?
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: (4e) Tiefling life expectancy?

As the DM wants

I'd say like humans, maybe a bit longer but the still age normaly.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I swear, about 50% of what makes BW awesome is the little stuff like that that's applicable to just about any system.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

They're basically just tainted humans, so I would also assume a lifespan similar to humans'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

/conanvoice
    "Depends on which side of my blade they are on!"
    /conanvoice

The actual answer has already been covered: as long as the DM believes it's appopriate for his/her campaign. In my own, I hate the cliche of most races being longer lived than humans so most races live to ~70.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    They're basically just tainted humans, so I would also assume a lifespan similar to humans'.
    I agree with Artanis.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, I would think something like humans'.

I might toy with the idea of murder increasing their lifespan, though. That seems like the sort of nice little "perk" Asmodeus would grant.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inyssius Tor View Post
    Yeah, I would think something like humans'.

I might toy with the idea of murder increasing their lifespan, though. That seems like the sort of nice little "perk" Asmodeus would grant.
    Don't forget to make them younger by a set amount of years(5 or so?) until they hit their prime(20-30ish).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Well, given that Tieflings are explictely Humans 'Marked' as infernal, they should have biologically speaking the same potential lifespan. I'd say actual average would be a bit lower though, due to cultural things and slightly increased tendancy towards violent or risky lifestyles.

I like the idea of murder granting them certain boons, in one sense, because it's a nicely morbid little quirk. But generally, I wouldn't use it in my own games, because their state isn't really granted as a boon, rather they are pretty much cursed for trafficing with Devils disloyal to Asmodeus. They've been eternally scarred and marked out for what they did and agreed, so I can't really see them getting much in the way of additional perks.

Also, if nothing else, I can't really see Asmodeus looking particularly favourably on random, pointless violence. If it is of no direct benefit to him, then why would he encourage it? (Of course, there are possible reasons, but that's Asmodeus for you I suppose. Xanatos much?)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Well the life expectancy of anyone who would claim to be an adventurer is less than 5 years after they start adventuring.

But yes, there is no reason they should have normal human lifespans, give or take a decade due to a smaller gene pool(which can be a good or a bad thing).
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

They live for three or four weeks, then they're level 30 and removed from the campaign
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!