New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Test-based Prerequisites [3.5]

Has anyone actually used these? If so, how has it gone? I'm interested for my group, so I'd like to know.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Test-based Prerequisites [3.5]

I've used them, but only once. If you're going to use them, make sure that the test happens IN GAME - otherwise they're just pointless. Anyone can claim they passed a test as part of their background.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    I've used them, but only once. If you're going to use them, make sure that the test happens IN GAME - otherwise they're just pointless. Anyone can claim they passed a test as part of their background.
    Question: In the case that the game is starting at mid levels, should the DM run a one shot at earlier levels to qualify the character?

What about if the group is short on time?
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2010-02-04 at 08:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I did this in a GURPS game for a mage, and it worked out well because by adding enough skill points to particular spells the mage is able to make it a real test of skill as opposed to a random-die fest.

In D&D it's harder to do in some situations because core class skills that you might base the test around don't always change very dynamically enough to be worthwhile. Spell duration, damage, etc. only go up when you level, so you might as well make the requirement level-based.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Question: In the case that the game is starting at mid levels, should the DM run a one shot at earlier levels to qualify the character?

What about if the group is short on time?
    If you can get all the players to agree that they all want to take a test based feature in their backgrounds when you start at mid level, and this doesn't make any one character more powerful (beyond the usual game balance issues of Casterz Pwn LOL!), then yeah, sure.