New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Decisive Power Strike

I was wondering if the Decisive strike found in the PHB 2 under alternative class features for monks doubles the bonus damage granted by power attack.

If it did, then quarterstaffs (A 2 handed "monk" weapon) and Monk 1 or 2 will begin to see a lot more play when I build characters.

I also noticed the unearth arcana from the SRD also contains Monk variants based on fighting style... is that as note worthy as the paladin of tyranny or the wildshape ranger, or is Stunning fist sooo good that it is not worth any skill bonus and bonus feat...
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Decisive Power Strike

A quarter staff is a double weapon, not a 2 handed weapon, so getting 2:1 would be a bit awkward, but yes, the power attack bonus would double. The monk ACF is used in AoO builds.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    A quarter staff is a double weapon, not a 2 handed weapon, so getting 2:1 would be a bit awkward,
    It's sure listed under "two-handed weapons" on the Weapons table.

You can ignore the offhand part of a double weapon and use it as a normal two-handed weapon. It's kind of the lone virtue of double weapons compared to just normal two-weapon fighting.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    You can ignore the offhand part of a double weapon and use it as a normal two-handed weapon. It's kind of the lone virtue of double weapons compared to just normal two-weapon fighting.
    Source? I kno you can power attack with one end of the quarterstaff, but I'm not too sure you can get +2/-1, even if you do ingore the ofhand part.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by quiet1mi View Post
    I was wondering if the Decisive strike found in the PHB 2 under alternative class features for monks doubles the bonus damage granted by power attack.

If it did, then quarterstaffs (A 2 handed "monk" weapon) and Monk 1 or 2 will begin to see a lot more play when I build characters.

I also noticed the unearth arcana from the SRD also contains Monk variants based on fighting style... is that as note worthy as the paladin of tyranny or the wildshape ranger, or is Stunning fist sooo good that it is not worth any skill bonus and bonus feat...
    They offer a way to pick up feats like combat expertise without having 13 int.

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Source? I kno you can power attack with one end of the quarterstaff, but I'm not too sure you can get +2/-1, even if you do ingore the ofhand part.
    It's in the weapon section of the SRD.
    Last edited by faceroll; 2010-02-05 at 01:03 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's still a full-round action, which really kinda sucks.
    Last edited by Mongoose87; 2010-02-05 at 01:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    It's still a full-round action, which really kind sucks.
    Which is why it is used in AoO builds.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Ooh, that sounds downright delicious.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Are there any Monk weapons that are 2H with reach, other than using that feat in the Eberron Campaign Setting to use a Longspear?
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    Ooh, that sounds downright delicious.
    The dawizard per round is amazing if you use Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2010-02-05 at 01:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes, it works. Decisive Strike is a good option for a low level Monk with Snap Kick and a good AoO combo. But at or above ECL 6ish, there are various other methods for multiplying damage without taking a problematic 3/4 BAB (which limits Power Attack) class like Monk. Critical hits, Headlong Rush, lance, Spirited Charge, Valorous Weapon, Rhino's Rush, Battle Jump, Leap Attack. For non-charge attacks, anything that adds an extra attack and/or a sufficient amount of scaled damage can be mathematically similar or superior to anything that multiplies damage. And note that Decisive Strike stops scaling up at ECL 11, so it's a poor choice for any high level build.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    And note that Decisive Strike stops scaling up at ECL 11, so it's a poor choice for any high level build.
    Could be nice if you do something like Monk 2/Crusader X, allowing you to stack it with Power Attack, and be an AoO monster.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

The main use is that you don't waste time rolling for multiple attacks. Plus, I believe that 1 attack at double damage is mathematically equivalent to all those extra attacks you are making.

And as mentioned, if you can find some way of making extra free attacks during that round, such as via snap kick/AoO, all the better.

14. - Top - End - #14

Make sure to ask your DM if he lets Decisive Strike count as Flurry for Tashalatora.