New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Endurance

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Endurance

Dodge has some variations of feat who still count as dodge for prerequisites and such(Midnight Dodge, Desert Wind Dodge, etc) and I was wondering if the Endurance feat had variations other than Kobold Endurance.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Endurance

Why do you need it? If you don't want to waste a feat slot, but have a spare level somewhere, Ranger 1 gets it for free.

Other than Kobold Endurance, the best I can think of is the DCFS+O.Hole in Complete Mage. 3K, instant Endurance.

If you're gunning for Diehard, I'd like to inform you that Shape Soulmeld (Rage Claws) gets a better version of that same feat for lower requirements. If it's for a PrC, Ranger 1 is honestly the least cheesy way to do this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Why do you need it? If you don't want to waste a feat slot, but have a spare level somewhere, Ranger 1 gets it for free.

Other than Kobold Endurance, the best I can think of is the DCFS+O.Hole in Complete Mage. 3K, instant Endurance.

If you're gunning for Diehard, I'd like to inform you that Shape Soulmeld (Rage Claws) gets a better version of that same feat for lower requirements. If it's for a PrC, Ranger 1 is honestly the least cheesy way to do this.
    I need it for Steadfast Determination
    Last edited by BenTheJester; 2010-02-05 at 02:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Ranger 3, you mean? Oh, and there's like...Heat Endurance in Sandstorm, but it's even worse.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Ranger 3, you mean? Oh, and there's like...Heat Endurance in Sandstorm, but it's even worse.
    Ah, forgot that Rangers get Track at 1st.

Heat Endurance comes for free with a certain race though (I think it is the Bhuka?).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Actually, Endurance does have one use. If your DM likes throwing monsters at you that drown you (such as Drowned or Water Elementites) it's one of the few ways to get a good bonus on drowning checks.

Not that I would know from personal experience, of course. :P
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Actually, Endurance does have one use. If your DM likes throwing monsters at you that drown you (such as Drowned or Water Elementites) it's one of the few ways to get a good bonus on drowning checks.

Not that I would know from personal experience, of course. :P
    The best use of Endurance that very few DMs track is sleeping in medium armor. Fighters, of course, get hosed because they have to take their armor off when they rest.

But yeah, I can't remember the last DM I played with that didn't say "You're attacked at night... and automatically wearing your armor, yay!!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Ya... that's exactly the issue with endurance. Verisimilitude. Once the DM starts handwaving things it becomes useless. Once you actively track sleep, running away, travel, suffocation and weather it's awesome. And still alright for any one of those.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-02-05 at 05:24 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Frostblood orcs and half-orcs (Dragon Magic) get Endurance as a racial bonus feat.

Fighters can choose Endurance as one of their bonus feats.

Bhukas get Heat Endurance as a racial bonus feat, as do badlands dwarves and scab-orcs. (Sandstorm)

In 4th Edition, Endurance is a skill, so Skill Focus (Endurance) would be the equivalent of the 3.5 Endurance feat.
    SnakePirate avatar by CheesePirate

Running Emerald City Knights (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Translation: when Bahamut called "Dibs!" on your soul the devils sat back down, muttering under their breaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by TricksyAndFalse View Post
    4E Druids tap into the Primal Beast to wild shape. The Primal Beast cares not for your technicalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gametime View Post
    I think we can all agree that optimizing a Beholder Mage beyond being a Beholder Mage is safely in the realm of "overkill" to begin with.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nate the Snake View Post
    Frostblood orcs and half-orcs (Dragon Magic) get Endurance as a racial bonus feat.
    Even better, if they pick up Endurance later as a bonus feat, they can substitute any other feat they qualify for instead.

Desert Orcs (UA p. 13) also get it as a bonus feat (but no swap later). Oddly, their Desert Half-Orc cousins get Run as a bonus feat instead.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Warblade 5 is another way to pick up Endurance as a bonus feat. And it's not such a terrible option, just because Warblade 5 gives you so many other cool options.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.