New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default question about 4th edition.

Okay. My friend informs me that if at next level, if I retrain this one feat I can also retrain my other two feats since without that one feat I don't qualify for those other two.

Is this true? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the section on feats.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: question about 4th edition.

It is not true. The retraining RAW is as follows:

"You can't replace a feat if it's a prerequisite for any other attribute you have (another feat or a paragon class for example),..."
    [p 28, PHB]

If he's willing to make it a house rule of course, that's one thing, but RAW does not support his claim. You would have to retrain those feats individually until the base feat was no longer a prerequisite, then you could retrain it aside.
    Last edited by nepphi; 2010-02-06 at 12:56 AM.
    "The only thing between us and victory is that Ogre Mage!"

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Avatar by the illustrious and swift Djinn_in_Tonic.

Kurik

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Okay. My friend informs me that if at next level, if I retrain this one feat I can also retrain my other two feats since without that one feat I don't qualify for those other two.

Is this true? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the section on feats.
    Nepphi's explanation was somewhat confusing. Let me rephrase.

Using the same quotation as Nepphi presented.

You would have to look in the phb 1 on retraining rules, not under feats specifically.

Your scenario seems to be this: I want to retrain Feat A, but it leads to Feats B and C.

According to RAW, Since Feat A leads to B, and C, you have to retrain B, and C first, one at at time, one per level of retraining. Afterward, or three levels from now, you can retrain A.

If my player had reasonably decided that they want to retrain a certain feat, I'd let them retrain a stack of feats if it cascaded like yours does. Maybe I'm too nice.
    Last edited by DabblerWizard; 2010-02-06 at 08:59 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

You are very nice for those cascading feats.

For those of us who are not as nice: Strictly speaking, page 28 of the PHB reads, "You can make only one change at each level."

And further: "You can’t replace a feat if it’s a prerequisite for any other attribute you have (another feat or a paragon path, for example)"

So, if you had a chain of feats, you’d have to retrain the last link, the one most recently acquired, and wait until next level, retrain another, and so forth.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post

Is this true? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the section on feats.:smallconfused:
    Is the friend in question your DM? If so, it's true. (But as others have pointed out, it's not true in the standard rules.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

No. If it was the DM I wouldn't be asking. It's another player. I don't know where he got the idea though.